Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & most cost effective Ham

Options
  • 12-12-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

For Christmas anyone know where to get a good one?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Hootanany wrote: »
    For Christmas anyone know where to get a good one?

Any decent butchers should be a good bet...i'd try FXB's in Moore St but give them plenty of notice first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Will give them a try is their a special cut I should ask for?

Hootanany wrote: »
    Will give them a try is their a special cut I should ask for?

Half ham or a boned and rolled gammon.

[HTML]Licks lips[/HTML]

The beauty of getting it boned and rolled is there's no bones to chuck out afterwards,a lot of the fat is trimmed off(there should always be some fat though) so there's no waste.

With any ham it's a good idea to let it soak in a large container of water for at least 24 hours to dissolve out any salt.

What kind of weight/size were you thinking about?

• Advertisement

To feed about 8 people over the holiday season

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

also where are you based, the Dublin meat company dose very good meats and they are based in Ataine

or they do a "Free Nationwide Next Day Delivery"

and they say all chrismas orders will arrive chrismas eve

Thanks to all how many KG should I ask for?

and they say all chrismas orders will arrive chrismas eve

Yes...but imagine they dont!

Give yourself plenty of time OP and buy the ham 23rd december or so..

To feed that amount of people you might get a ham round 5 kilos...but it depends on your guests and how much they will eat.

Personally i always like to have a feed of ham and turkey on xmas evening and a nice thick toasted ham and mustard sambo for breakfast on Stephen's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

yes but they a company running for over 5 years. but you can collect it if you want to also.

• Advertisement

chopper6 wrote: »
    Yes...but imagine they dont!

Give yourself plenty of time OP and buy the ham 23rd december or so..

To feed that amount of people you might get a ham round 5 kilos...but it depends on your guests and how much they will eat.

Personally i always like to have a feed of ham and turkey on xmas evening and a nice thick toasted ham and mustard sambo for breakfast on Stephen's day.

Nom Nom

yes but they a company running for over 5 years. but you can collect it if you want to also.

I agree with supporting local business but FXB's is in the city centre and has been in business for 80 years.

But that's just my opinion,anybody can shop where there like but like you,i'd recomend a good local butcher over a supermarket chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I got some very delicious ham last year in Peakin's (Leonard's Corner/SCR last year :cool:

Advertisement