Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on 64GB Kingston DataTraveler speeds from memoryc

Options
  • 12-12-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I saw this in my email this morning & want to ask advice on this product & speeds
    below listed for €27.95 with €10 off

64GB Kingston DataTraveler SE9 Ultra-small USB2.0 Flash Drive

INTERFACE TYPE
    USB2.0

FEATURES
    Ultra-small
    Attaches easily to keyring

TRANSFER RATES
    Up to 480Mbps (USB2.0 speed)
    Although if anything goes wrong it does have a 5 yr warranty, which is handy,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

i have a 16 Gb one i find it kind of slow loading files onto it but its strong and will put up with a lot of hardship. i will be getting more at some point but dont expect fast wright speeds its ok speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

i have a 16 Gb one i find it kind of slow loading files onto it but its strong and will put up with a lot of hardship. i will be getting more at some point but dont expect fast wright speeds its ok speeds

Thanks as i'm wondering is that a typo of Up to 480Mbps :confused: as i've not really seen something like that, maybe just marketing, although it has 28 day return.

480Mbps is the max Speed for USB2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_2.0
    and its in bits not bites so max speed for usb2 is approx 480/8=60MBs but that theory i copied 14.6GB of data onto one the other day (89 files) and it took about 1.5 hours to copy that would have been 20MBs

but still i like the stick. i say again the strongest i have had its full metal body.

if you want speed USB3 is the way to go if your system supports it that is

480Mbps is the max Speed for USB2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_2.0
    and its in bits not bites so max speed for usb2 is approx 480/8=60MBs but that theory i copied 14.6GB of data onto one the other day (89 files) and it took about 1.5 hours to copy that would have been 20MBs

but still i like the stick. i say again the strongest i have had its full metal body.

if you want speed USB3 is the way to go if your system supports it that is

PC is 8yr old USB2, i have a Ext HDD 500GB USB 3.0

yes the USB 3 drive will preform better then a USB 2 drive but your PC is limited to USB 2 speeds so your hard drive might be operating at the high end of the USB 2 speeds 40-50.

• Advertisement

So what 64GB USB 3.0 is preferable on the memoryc or anywhere else?
    yes the USB 3 drive will preform better then a USB 2 drive but your PC is limited to USB 2 speeds so your hard drive might be operating at the high end of the USB 2 speeds 40-50.
    What if i'm only using the Ext HDD USB 3 for copying files to the Flash drive USB 3 as i wouldnt be putting any pressure on the PC, is that right?
    At the moment i'm copying 7.5 GB folder from the Ext HDD with 15 files to the PC, it showed that it would take about 2.5hrs, how do you do the calculation as i'm a novice at that :confused:

At the moment the Ext HDD is starting to show its slowin up as it would only take 35 sec for a 200MB file to a usb2 flashdrive, i may have to look for a spare HDD, but that's a different post.

Thanks for the advice i also see the Kingston 16GB is at a special offer at €7.65 if you were gonna get another one

Advertisement