Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary foster home needed for our dog

• 12-12-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can help or know of someone who can. Due to the fact my wife has just had our second child and I have to travel overseas for work untill the end of march next year, we desperately need to temporarely rehome our dog for approx 3 months. It is not a decision that has come lightly but my wife will be not capable of giving the dog the attention and exercise he deserves when I'm not around.

Our dog is an almost 6 year old pedigree Doberman, excellent temperament , great with children and other dogs (just loves to play) Fully house trained, IKC registered, micro chipped, up to date with all boosters etc. Follows all standard voice commands.

Can supply 3 months worth of food, kennel, transport/sleeping cage etc. Possibility of coming to some small financial agreement also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

defforirl wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can help or know of someone who can. Due to the fact my wife has just had our second child and I have to travel overseas for work untill the end of march next year, we desperately need to temporarely rehome our dog for approx 3 months. It is not a decision that has come lightly but my wife will be not capable of giving the dog the attention and exercise he deserves when I'm not around.

Our dog is an almost 6 year old pedigree Doberman, excellent temperament , great with children and other dogs (just loves to play) Fully house trained, IKC registered, micro chipped, up to date with all boosters etc. Follows all standard voice commands.

Can supply 3 months worth of food, kennel, transport/sleeping cage etc. Possibility of coming to some small financial agreement also.

Have you contacted the breeder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Possibility of coming to some small financial agreement also.

:confused:

Does that mean you don't want to pay a kennel/minder/dog walker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Can you not have him kennelled? A reputable kennel would keep him safe. I'd be very reluctant to give my dog over to someone who couldn't look after his every need in a secure and safe environment. And if you kennelled him your wife could visit bring him for walks when things are less hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭defforirl

tk123 wrote: »
    :confused:

Does that mean you don't want to pay a kennel/minder/dog walker?

I'm not going oversea's for three months because I want too, its a financial necessity and there is no big reward for doing so, all about keeping the head above water. Kennel would be prohibitively expensive for three months,a dog walker even if engaged everyday would get the dog enough exercise but doesn't get the dog enough attention, despite the hollywood sterotype of dobermen being aggressive guard dog types they are in fact quite social and thrive spending time around people.

Our last resort would be too give the dog up permanently, my wife simply cannot give the dog the exercise and attention he requires whilst looking after a newborn and a small child on her own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

You could ask some local vets do they know of anyone. Some people mind dogs in their own home for those who dont want to kennel and it can be a word of mouth thing - as its longer term you may get a discount fee wise. You'd need to make sure they were good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I'm not going oversea's for three months because I want too, its a financial necessity and there is no big reward for doing so, all about keeping the head above water. Kennel would be prohibitively expensive for three months,a dog walker even if engaged everyday would get the dog enough exercise but doesn't get the dog enough attention, despite the hollywood sterotype of dobermen being aggressive guard dog types they are in fact quite social and thrive spending time around people.

Our last resort would be too give the dog up permanently, my wife simply cannot give the dog the exercise and attention he requires whilst looking after a newborn and a small child on her own.

Have you contacted any kennels? Most kennels will do a long ter kenneling for a good price, ie normal kennels per day EUR 20 but the could do it for EUR 80 a week or even better IFYWIM. if you dont ask you wont know!

Do you have a family member or friend who could help out?

Because as you said its only for three months and as a last resort giving up the dog when its only a 3 months stint would be crazy.

What about asking a family member to walk him 3 days per week and then doggie day care tow days per week (would cost EUR 30 per week)....

Its only three months they time will fly by and yes your dog will be sad while your away but if some people help you out and doggie day care its manageable.... its faaaaar better on your dog than rehoming him. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

what area are you living

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

The OP isn't looking to rehome though? Just find a temporary home for 3 months?

I wouldn't put my animal in a boarding facility for 3 months.

Good luck in your search OP.

Rips wrote: »
    I wouldn't put my animal in a boarding facility for 3 months.

Not all boarding facilities are jails though - there's plenty of home boarding options available where the dog will be in a house with the owners dogs. I'd rather my dogs go to a facility that has a good reputation than some randomer off the internet with no qualifications/insurance/experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Not all boarding facilities are jails though - there's plenty of home boarding options available where the dog will be in a house with the owners dogs. I'd rather my dogs go to a facility that has a good reputation than some randomer off the internet with no qualifications/insurance/experience.

+1 I would be happy to help out in a situation like this but I know myself that if it were my dog I would want him to be with someone who was experienced and had insurance. In an ideal world someone like me could take your dog OP but I would be leaving myself open to liability, what if your dog bit me or someone else while in my care, what happens then? It's a much more complicated ask when you think about it. I understand that cost is an issue but it really isn't as simple as someone taking on the dog. A lot can happen in three months and you could be leaving yourself open for liability too. Much better to deal with someone who knows what they are doing, at least then if you know something bad happens things have a much better chance of turning out well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

TK,in all fairness you need to put yourself in the OP's shoes. He has a wife,child, a newborn and a dog he clearly loves. YET....needs to leave the country for 3months to earn enough money to provide for them.

I cannot imagine the stress that involves.Financially he's in a crux right now.

If he cannot afford boarding/kenneling/friends helping out etc..he wouldn't be on here asking questions.

Please folks. Before you reply to a post remember that our pets rely on us and hard times can hit us all. None of us are perfect and I would hope someone would help me and my pets if I need it.

I've PM'd the OP with info of rescues who may help but also advised that the Dobermann Club of Ireland may offer some advice too.

Good luck OP. Please come back to us if none of our advice (PM or otherwise) works out. ;)

anniehoo wrote: »
    TK,in all fairness you need to put yourself in the OP's shoes. He has a wife,child, a newborn and a dog he clearly loves. YET....needs to leave the country for 3months to earn enough money to provide for them.

I cannot imagine the stress that involves.Financially he's in a crux right now.

If he cannot afford boarding/kenneling/friends helping out etc..he wouldn't be on here asking questions.

Please folks. Before you reply to a post remember that our pets rely on us and hard times can hit us all. None of us are perfect and I would hope someone would help me and my pets if I need it.

I've PM'd the OP with info of rescues who may help but also advised that the Dobermann Club of Ireland may offer some advice too.

Good luck OP. Please come back to us if none of our advice (PM or otherwise) works out. ;)

The OP didn't state at first if he actually could afford kennels etc which is why I asked before getting contact details from friends who's preferred kennels offer discounts for long (18 months in one case! ) term cases. Also I know of somebody else who used a sitter/home boarding in the same situation and got a fairly big discount - that's the reason I asked..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭defforirl

Thanks for all the replies so far, to answer some questions posed, we are based in Kildare. I should have mentioned it in my first post but the Dog is of course fully insured medically and for liability. Thanks again, I appreciate all information sent on the forum or by PM.

Advertisement