Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SVP - St Vincent de Paul

Options
  • 12-12-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

This has not just to do with the latest charity scandle but someone said to my husband that in parts of Kilkenny people joke to each other in August have they put their order in for Vinny yet, meaning St Vincent de Paul. My kids were bringing some non perishable goods into school for SVP and he said there are a for people who refuse to work etc. I accept some people would take advantage of the society but am I correct in saying there are people in need of help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

femur61 wrote: »
    am I correct in saying there are people in need of help.

Pretty broad question. If only two people in the entire country were in need of help, then the answer to your question would be yes.

I think the SVP help a lot of genuine cases, but I also think there must be a lot of chancers too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

I give to the franciscan capuchin order - the penny dinners,apparently a tea lady was asked what charity top ups (do they do in a joking way of course) and she said in a very serious tone - the only top ups we do here love is tea!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I always had a high level of respect for SVP because of the help they provide, not only to the worst off but also to those who might struggle at times like christmas. It is unfortunately a sad fact of like that you will always get people willing to take advantage of charities, you just have to focus on the importance of the help the charity provides to those who actually need it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

I still think there are a few charities worthwhile giving to SVP would be on the list too,what i like about the franciscans is that they live the frugal life there are no bells and whistles no designer gear or mercs,they havent got caught up in this consumerism,and lead the simple life and they know what their focus is.Thats why i trust them,i think trust is important when it comes to charities.But i think it is too easy to keep the pennies and say well the CRC and other charities used top ups(even a sweet shop was used to top up one exec),its easy to use these as excused not to give.
    Its easy to see the charities that are using it as their own personal bank account - you will see them drive mercedes or they wil refuse to publish their own earnings.Charities like this should be shunned completely.
    Fransicicans(capuchin brothers) have always had a good following by working class in dublin traditionally and its still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

There's no greater charity than giving of yourself. If you're skeptical of where money goes then give your time directly to homework clubs, meals on wheels and the many other local services that are run on a pittance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

SVP are one of the few i trust.

some good may come from the CRC scandals. The more open / nothing to hide ones, may publish accounts now.

We will still have to face some horrible ads on the www looking for donations. That will never change.

On the funny side, if there is one it's Fr Ted.
    The money was resting is my account. That was just for a while. It was a very long while Father.

Advertisement