Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boiler leaking water

• 12-12-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All
    we have a firebird boiler outside the house in a steel unit and i have notice water coming from around the boiler and when i checked out the gauge in the hotpress it was only at .5 rather then 2.00 !. i got the boiler serviced about two weeks ago from a local man who everybody gets but hes gone to visit family for christmas so i cant get him,i have eye trouble hence i am not working so if i could get any option from the members i would be gratefull. the pump is working and radititors are heating ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

i lovewine wrote: »
    Hi All
    we have a firebird boiler outside the house in a steel unit and i have notice water coming from around the boiler and when i checked out the gauge in the hotpress it was only at .5 rather then 2.00 !. i got the boiler serviced about two weeks ago from a local man who everybody gets but hes gone to visit family for christmas so i cant get him,i have eye trouble hence i am not working so if i could get any option from the members i would be gratefull. the pump is working and radititors are heating ?
    Thanks

First open it and locate where this water coming from. Could be blocked condensate trap or leaking excess pressure valve. Find the leak, post a photo and we will advise from there.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i lovewine

Hi All
    Some photos attached
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

It's a box standard boiler so it could be that the Engineer opened the auto air vent and it started to leak, they are prone to that.

Do you have pictures of the top of the boiler.

will take one now

the bass unit on top of left side seems wet and the rock wool as well. but nt pouring out

• Advertisement

anyone know how to delete double post ?, edit screen give me no options ?

Do not use the boiler, it is very dangerous and an engineer is needed straight away......................

The Pressure relief valve is leaking (drip) and your "man" has capped it off rather than replace it, he need shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

is that a blank cap on the safety valve ?

If it is, whoever did it should be strung up.

the bass unit on top of left side seems wet and the rock wool as well. but nt pouring out

284346.jpg

Can you post a photo of where the arrow is pointing to. Don't turn on the boiler until we see this.

its still leaking at the bottom of the unit, but that bass unit is only damp now.see photo of the path that i had dried a few mins ago

• Advertisement

Safe but you need a service engineer in, the PRV is leaking and looking at the fresh ptfe tape I would say our man had it off.

its still leaking at the bottom of the unit, but that bass unit is only damp now.see photo of the path that i had dried a few mins ago

Well the part that had us concerned is ok, at least not dangerous. Having said that, the bend that I asked you to photograph should be pointing downwards or at least horizontal and have a downward pipe attached to it to take any water out of harms way. If you had that much done and a container temporarily at the end of it, you would be able to guage how much water is coming out of it. It may just be be this valve leaking, or trouble with your expansion vessel.

will run a pipe to it and test. how do i go about seeing and checking the expansion vessel ?
    no its not a blank cap . thank god !!!

will run a pipe to it and test. how do i go about seeing and checking the expansion vessel ?
    no its not a blank cap . thank god !!!

Have a look for one of these. The red thing.

284358.jpg

Hi Wearb
    that unit is up in the attic ?. seems ok

Hi Wearb
    that unit is up in the attic ?. seems ok

If yo have a tyre pressure gauge, check to see how much pressure you have in it. be careful not to let any (at least very little) air out when doing this. If it is ok and sized properly, then you have a leaking prv (pressure relief valve) at the Boiler and it will need to be changed. Dont forget to put a pipe on the prv and and collect the water, to see if there is enough to account for the water that you have observed. You will have to drain down the system to change the prv and that would be an excellent opportunity to re-check pressure in the vessel in the attic.

Hi Wearb
    Doing all you have said between today and tomorrow. will post back
    Thanks

checked everything and and its looking like a leak from the heating pipe coming from house to pump ?.
    no wet in boiler container so will have to try and get unit away from wall thanks for all the input Guys

A bit of work ahead then. I would change that PRV when drained down, unless you can account for that water drop we could see in the photo. They are not expensive.

checked everything and and its looking like a leak from the heating pipe coming from house to pump ?.
    no wet in boiler container so will have to try and get unit away from wall thanks for all the input Guys

Carefully take as much housing and insulation as you can apart so that you can rule out everything that is overground before you start digging. If unsure when disassembling take photos at each stage.

• Advertisement

Thanks Wearb
    Am going to replace PRV, an i am going to photo each stage as i go along !!, to make sure
    Will update u when finished, was hoping tommorrow but weather sh1t here
    thanks

I would also have a look at the baffle plates and front cover seal, there appears to be signs of a leak of combustion gases at the top and below the top panel and they looks sooty.

Thanks Billy
    will do. weather i not with me at present,

Advertisement