Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G experience

Options
  • 12-12-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

Anyone got feedback on 4G coverage in Carlow, various parts of the county?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I think it's only in Carlow town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    I think it's only in Carlow town.

Vodafone doesn't give a 4G coverage map. I'm not sure if Meteor does (can't check it as their site is currently really slow).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

One of them , meteor I think had a map and I recall only seeing carlow town with coverage and little or nothing surrounding till you get to greater Dublin. I can't see it being a huge change unless you're in Dublin or one of the other hot spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    One of them , meteor I think had a map and I recall only seeing carlow town with coverage and little or nothing surrounding till you get to greater Dublin. I can't see it being a huge change unless you're in Dublin or one of the other hot spots.

Meteor map shows bunclody is also a main town and also coverage in some rural areas. I'll get a sim over Christmas and test for it out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

A friend of mine has 4G on Meteor and on an iPhone 5s got over 40Mb down in Carlow town and in Graiguecullen it was 20-30Mb, they're the approximate figures but the speeds were really something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

A friend of mine has 4G on Meteor and on an iPhone 5s got over 40Mb down in Carlow town and in Graiguecullen it was 20-30Mb, they're the approximate figures but the speeds were really something.

It's not really the speed in enabled areas that is the issue. It's the fairly small data allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 petekh

Can anyone comment how how far the 4G signal reaches outside of Carlow? I.E. the villages like Killeshin, Ballinabrannah, Tinryland that are on the cusp of the 4g coverage? I'm mostly interested in how far it goes out towards Killeshin honestly. Can anyone test this if they get chance? I want to get the 4G broadband router but dont really want to mess about returning it if the coverage is not sufficent for 4G where i'm hoping to move to.

If someone is kind enough to help me, a speed test where the signal reaches to would be super helpful.

Any help is gratefully appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Com reg have a map of ireland with all masts and their capabilities on it on their site @ http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/mobile_sites%3B_base_stations_and_masts.36.LE.asp and specifically http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp (may take a few minutes to load)

zoom into the mast nearest the location you are looking at and then look at the services section on the LHS when you click on the red site icon. IIRC You will be looking to see if it is LTE enabled and it will also tell you who the operator of that mast is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I'm with Three and on the Tullow Road, a hundred yards from where it becomes the Wexford Road, I just git 15mbps down and .36mbps up. Pretty decent.

Advertisement