Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry cleaners wrecked suit

Options
  • 12-12-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Got my OH suit (purchased last March but only worn a few times) dry cleaned last week and put it in the wardrobe. He took it out today to wear and I see the dry cleaners have bubbled it!!!! Its wrecked!!!! This suit cost 360 euro. Are the cleaners liable? Has something similar happened to anyone else and if so what did you do? Im not only furious but Im really upset. Does anyone have any advise on how to go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,002 ✭✭✭✭listermint

maggiepip wrote: »
    Got my OH suit (purchased last March but only worn a few times) dry cleaned last week and put it in the wardrobe. He took it out today to wear and I see the dry cleaners have bubbled it!!!! Its wrecked!!!! This suit cost 360 euro. Are the cleaners liable? Has something similar happened to anyone else and if so what did you do? Im not only furious but Im really upset. Does anyone have any advise on how to go about this?

Bring it back to them, It may not have been 'steam ironed' correctly.

Your bubble may be just creases.

First stop is the drycleaners not the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Just take it back to them first. Not point getting all worked up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I actually wanted to inform myself a little on my rights before I bring it back. Its not creased its bubbled I know the difference. I would like to approach with knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I actually wanted to inform myself a little on my rights before I bring it back. Its not creased its bubbled I know the difference. I would like to approach with knowledge.

They damaged it, they need to fix it. Work from there, they shouldn't even argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

OP, there is a layer of gauze like material (interfacing) on the reverse of the suit material to give it 'body'. After cleaning, some poorer quality interfacing can lift in patches from the main material giving the bubble effect that you describe. It can be remedied with intensive pressing. I would just bring the suit to a better drycleaners and ask them to press it properly. The one you gave it to would have done it if he knew how.
    By the way, keep in mind that just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's top quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,002 ✭✭✭✭listermint

emeldc wrote: »
    OP, there is a layer of gauze like material (interfacing) on the reverse of the suit material to give it 'body'. After cleaning, some poorer quality interfacing can lift in patches from the main material giving the bubble effect that you describe. It can be remedied with intensive pressing. I would just bring the suit to a better drycleaners and ask them to press it properly. The one you gave it to would have done it if he knew how.
    By the way, keep in mind that just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's top quality.

This was my thoughts exactly but not as eloquently put

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Thanks for that emeldc. So pressing it should solve the problem? I hope so. The makers of the suit are v well known and have a very good name so Im surprised it shows poorer quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Thanks for that emeldc. So pressing it should solve the problem? I hope so. The makers of the suit are v well known and have a very good name so Im surprised it shows poorer quality.

It's actually quite a common problem so don't be too put off the brand name. Due to cost cutting measures they're all 'at it', it's just some are better 'at it' than others. Extra pressing should solve it.

Advertisement