Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Budget Ladies Road Bike :: Advice please

Options
  • 12-12-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to buy a ladies road bike and would love a bit of advice on the best brand of bike. My budget is low, €500, I'm not a hardcore triathlete but enjoy cycling and loved my old (stolen) racer and like freewheeling so a Fixie wouldn't suit :D. I'm not looking for top of the range but something decent. I'm not familiar with any of the brand names except Raleigh so if anyone could recommend a bike, where to buy or let me know what to avoid when buying I'd really appreciate it...
    ;)
    Thanks,
    CRB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Any chance you could use the Bike to Work scheme to get up to 50% tax rebate on the purchase? That'll give you a bigger budget to play with.

Unless you're small to petite, you don't necessarily need a 'ladies' bike and there can be better spec on a mens bike at the same price point. Giant Defy (or ladies Avail) would be a good bike to start out with and should come in close to €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 catratbat

Hey, thanks for responding. I had a look at the bike to work scheme, it's definitely an option. Your point about the spec being better on Mens bike is useful, I'm quite tall so that opens my options up. I'll check out Giant. Thanks again for getting back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Two things that may make a male/female difference are saddle and brake levers. If you have smaller hands, the reach to the brakes may be too big. Saddles are typically narrower for men and wider for women. Any bike shop should be happy to swap the supplied saddle for a women's equivalent at purchase.

Thanks Cdaly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bella27

Hey,

I'm 5"7 and have a ladies giant dash 4 purchased in 2012. Its hardly been used (I have health issues) and I hate to see it sitting in the shed gathering dust. I paid 600 for the bike but would be willing to sell it if you'd be interested? I'm in Kerry.
    Here's a link to what the bike looks like along with the spec:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/dash.4/9352/49924/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Two things that may make a male/female difference are saddle and brake levers. If you have smaller hands, the reach to the brakes may be too big. Saddles are typically narrower for men and wider for women. Any bike shop should be happy to swap the supplied saddle for a women's equivalent at purchase.

It's not the levers that are generally the problem, but the reach on the handlebars.

I am 5'4 and none of my bikes are women's specific, so you should be fine with either or.

Hi Bella, apologies for not getting back. .. I haven't logged in in a while. It's that bike still available? Thanks for the response though... hope the health issues improve! Crb
    bella27 wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm 5"7 and have a ladies giant dash 4 purchased in 2012. Its hardly been used (I have health issues) and I hate to see it sitting in the shed gathering dust. I paid 600 for the bike but would be willing to sell it if you'd be interested? I'm in Kerry.
    Here's a link to what the bike looks like along with the spec:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/dash.4/9352/49924/

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bella27

Hi catratbat

No problem, I still have the bike. Do you know what kind of money you'd like to offer? Feel free to PM me if you want.

Thanks
    Bella

Advertisement