Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Trader

Options
  • 12-12-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Looking for some advise..I registered a company name this year as a Sole trader but I have not completed any business.
    Do I still need to file a tax return for the year under this company name even thought there has been no trading under it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Registering a business name does not mean starting a business.

Did you register as a self-employed person?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

I register the name as a sole trader. I am also a PAYE employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Registering a name just registers a name - it does not make you self-employed.

Read this: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it10.html#section2

Did you file a form TR1 with Revenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    Looking for some advise..I registered a company name this year as a Sole trader but I have not completed any business.
    Do I still need to file a tax return for the year under this company name even thought there has been no trading under it?

Short answer, as long as you have not traded, you do not need to do anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Thanks PeterDalkey, that's all I needed to know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Short answer, as long as you have not traded, you do not need to do anything!

I would disagree with the above statement.

If you registered as self employed (TR1) you have to file a form 11 tax return. If you traded or not, profit or loss.

registering a business name with CRO and registering as self employed in conjuction with revenue are both seperate areas.

So you need to call your local tax office and ask them are you oblieged to file a form 11 tax return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I would disagree with the above statement.

If you registered as self employed (TR1) you have to file a form 11 tax return. If you traded or not, profit or loss.

registering a business name with CRO and registering as self employed in conjuction with revenue are both seperate areas.

So you need to call your local tax office and ask them are you oblieged to file a form 11 tax return

I would disagree with the above staement as the OP only disclosed that he had registered a business name.
    If he is already a Paye employee, he will be filling in tthe lack of activity on his normal return. Again we do not know if he is.

Advertisement