Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy a breast pump now or wait until after birth?

Options
  • 12-12-2013 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Hi ladies :) I'm due in february and although I would like to give the breastfeeding a go, I'm not sure if it will work out (it's very possible that I will be put on strong pain medication after the birth). I was having a look at a few pumps and given that they are pricey enough, I'd be wary of buying one in case it won't be used. On the other hand, I want to be prepared for every eventuality :) Would I be better off waiting until after the birth to see if I will actually need it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

there will be one on the hospital that us can use usually a medela, you can also rent one of these from a company, if you get on with it.

The bit you use will be new but the pump is used by everyone.

Ask at your next appointment to see the pumping room.

I ended up with 3 different ones as different ones were comfortable at different points, when you're really full its different to when 8 weeks down the line you just have big boobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Hi ladies :) I'm due in february and although I would like to give the breastfeeding a go, I'm not sure if it will work out (it's very possible that I will be put on strong pain medication after the birth). I was having a look at a few pumps and given that they are pricey enough, I'd be wary of buying one in case it won't be used. On the other hand, I want to be prepared for every eventuality :) Would I be better off waiting until after the birth to see if I will actually need it?

def wait my baby is 6 weeks and only buying one now. You would be kicking yourself if you bought one and didnt need it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I bought second hand from adverts because they (two together) were an amazing price... I'm only 5 months but I wasn't leaving a bargain like that behind. If I don't use them I'll just sell them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I didn't get one when I was pregnant in case I didn't need it, but I ended up going to boots the day I was discharged from hospital to buy one as I had been pumping in hospital!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm going to wait, as ideally I'd like to have a routine established first before I start expressing. And of course, there's always the risk that breastfeeding won't work out, for whatever reason, so don't want to buy a pump yet just in case.

I know exactly which one I want, though, so can easily send the boyfriend to buy it if necessary when the time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am due in January and bought a tommee tippee set on amazon, manual pump with bottles, breast pads, milk storage containers and soothers. It only cost around €20 so the way I saw it was the bottles, breast pads and storage containers probably would cost that! The pump might be rubbish but sure €20 you can't go wrong! I wouldn't splash out on an expensive one yet as who knows maybe the breast feeding will be a disaster but at least I have the bottles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

That sounds like a fab deal Millem.

I use a medela swing pump, and find it good. They are so expensive though that I've only tried that one. It's recommended that you don't pump til around 4-6 weeks anyway until your supply is established, so you have time yet. If you end up not breastfeeding, you will need to pump in the hospital to avoid the engorgement-mastitis risk, but the hospital will have one you can use.

The breastfeeding support thread in the Newborn and Toddler group is a fantastic resource.

Highly recommend that you check out a La Leche League or Cuidiu meeting before giving birth. Don't depend on HSE midwives or nurses for breastfeeding support (some are great, most are not).

Hardly any medications interfere with breastfeeding - Dr. Hale is the authority on this (http://www.infantrisk.com/ , http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/meds.shtml#sthash.9K5hK8aM.dpbs), and a copy of his book is at every LLL meeting. Dr. Jack Newman is a fantastic authority too - https://www.facebook.com/DrJackNewman. You can email Dr Newman directly with your medication query, and he will let you know exactly how to cope with it. HSE doctors, unfortunately, are just not up to date with breastfeeding and medications (some are, most aren't).

Whatever happens, you will be a great mom! The very best of luck with it all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

A lot, if not most, medications are compatible with Breastfeeding. :)

I'd wait until after the birth. If there is a medical need to pump while you're in hospital, the hospital will have a medical grade double pump that will be available to you.
    Otherwise it's not ideal to pump before 6 weeks.

It's tricky to get the hang of, but a lot if peoplefind hand expressing is the most effective way of expressing too :)

holding wrote: »
    That sounds like a fab deal Millem.

I use a medela swing pump, and find it good. They are so expensive though that I've only tried that one. It's recommended that you don't pump til around 4-6 weeks anyway until your supply is established, so you have time yet. If you end up not breastfeeding, you will need to pump in the hospital to avoid the engorgement-mastitis risk, but the hospital will have one you can use.

The breastfeeding support thread in the Newborn and Toddler group is a fantastic resource.

Highly recommend that you check out a La Leche League or Cuidiu meeting before giving birth. Don't depend on HSE midwives or nurses for breastfeeding support (some are great, most are not).

Hardly any medications interfere with breastfeeding - Dr. Hale is the authority on this (http://www.infantrisk.com/ , http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/meds.shtml#sthash.9K5hK8aM.dpbs), and a copy of his book is at every LLL meeting. Dr. Jack Newman is a fantastic authority too - https://www.facebook.com/DrJackNewman. You can email Dr Newman directly with your medication query, and he will let you know exactly how to cope with it. HSE doctors, unfortunately, are just not up to date with breastfeeding and medications (some are, most aren't).

Whatever happens, you will be a great mom! The very best of luck with it all :D

I don't have a clue how much electric ones cost but I know my neighbour spent €160 on one so if that's the normal price I would Defo wait to buy one! I went to a lactation consultant workshop and they said you shouldn't pump till 4 weeks anyway. It all seems very complicated to be honest!! I will be doing a lot of googling and you tubing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I agree with most people - wait and see if you need it. You'll be able to nip in or send someone in to get it on the day you're discharged if necessary. I would say though do your research now and have one picked out and if it happens to go on offer while you're pregnant I'd definitely pick it up(only if you get a bargain though).
    I'm using the tommee tippee closer to nature one, its manual, and it does the job really nicely for me. I picked it up half price in boots at the end of my pregnancy. I had to express pretty much as soon as my milk came in as baba found it hard to latch and I had to top up all her feeds cos she was jaundiced. If you don't have any of those difficulties, it's better to wait.

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    I agree with most people - wait and see if you need it. You'll be able to nip in or send someone in to get it on the day you're discharged if necessary. I would say though do your research now and have one picked out and if it happens to go on offer while you're pregnant I'd definitely pick it up(only if you get a bargain though).
    I'm using the tommee tippee closer to nature one, its manual, and it does the job really nicely for me. I picked it up half price in boots at the end of my pregnancy. I had to express pretty much as soon as my milk came in as baba found it hard to latch and I had to top up all her feeds cos she was jaundiced. If you don't have any of those difficulties, it's better to wait.

That's the one I got :) but I got the big set! I see the smaller set is down to £12.49 on amazon which is for nothing!

Great to know it does the job! My neighbour said she would recommend renting the pump from hospital, don't know how much it is but maybe if you needed pump straight away and didn't have one it might be an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

If I had been able to look into the future, I would have bought the Medela Symphony or Lactina. A small fortune but would have been cheaper to buy it out right. I ended up renting one for 11 months as my son never quite took to breast feeding. He latched on for a few weeks but our technique was not that great and I found it very sore. In the end, and I felt terribly disappointed in myself, I just gave up BF altogether and switched to full time pumping.

I rented of Medicare for 80 euro per month so ended up paying 1000 euro in the long run. Once or twice I was caught out and used my sisters Swing but it just wasn't powerful enough - I only got to express 50 mils out of each breast each time I used it and was painfully engorged until I could get home and use the Symphony. Using the Symphony, I would get 200 mils every 3 hrs. This is why, I would say, that if you can afford it, and you plan on having more than one child or could share it cost with a sibling -obviously one who wont have a EBF baby at the same time- go for the hospital grade pumps.

That way, your baby gets fed the good mommy milk - and you will get decent letdown - for as long as you want. That would be my opinion anyway.

Oh and something I didn't know but is useful to know that they give you a standard 24mm breast pump flange but 24mm is not actually standard in Ireland, you may need bigger or smaller so check out some youtube videos to make sure you have sized the correctly... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mummilk

I second the post above and buy a decent double pump. I have medela freestyle and although pricey (300ish on amazon) because my little girl isn't interested in latching I m exclusively pumping. I put some in the freezer aswell as being able to feed her plenty everyday. Pumping isn't cheap but baby is still getting breastmilk which is the only thing that matters. I don't understand why so many people just give up when feeding is too sore and dont try pumping full time, yes it's a bigger workload but so worth it and when I stop pumping I ll still have a stash for about 5-6 weeks by my current calculations although could well be more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Mummilk wrote: »
    when I stop pumping I ll still have a stash for about 5-6 weeks by my current calculations although could well be more than that

Hey Mummilk, I am sure you already know this - but it might inform other mums so...

Do you know that once you freeze the breast milk, it loses some of the benefits of the "living organism" properties so you are better off rotating your freezer supply :) Say one of every daily feed could be from the frozen collection and then you replace it with the fresh one?

Also for any other mums interested check out... Breastfeeding Facts

I can understand that the hospital grade pump would be best if you exclusively express but it really depends on your needs. If you're just pumping the odd time to have say one bottle per day it's probably not necessary. I think that's why I'd advise you to wait before buying because then you'll have a much better idea of what you require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I second the post above and buy a decent double pump. I have medela freestyle and although pricey (300ish on amazon) because my little girl isn't interested in latching I m exclusively pumping. I put some in the freezer aswell as being able to feed her plenty everyday. Pumping isn't cheap but baby is still getting breastmilk which is the only thing that matters. I don't understand why so many people just give up when feeding is too sore and dont try pumping full time, yes it's a bigger workload but so worth it and when I stop pumping I ll still have a stash for about 5-6 weeks by my current calculations although could well be more than that

Do you think the freestyle would be better than the swing? I bought the swing on my last pregnancy... Now I wasnt exclusively pumping but I would try amd pump once or twice a day to have a stash in the fridge in case I needed to go out or anything. I could easily pump 150-300... But it could take ages.. Like an hour or 2. I know the double pumps would be quicker... But just wondering If I should stick with my medella swing or get a double. I'd love to be able to get a more powerful pump that wouldn't take as long for my next baby due in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mummilk

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Do you think the freestyle would be better than the swing? I bought the swing on my last pregnancy... Now I wasnt exclusively pumping but I would try amd pump once or twice a day to have a stash in the fridge in case I needed to go out or anything. I could easily pump 150-300... But it could take ages.. Like an hour or 2. I know the double pumps would be quicker... But just wondering If I should stick with my medella swing or get a double. I'd love to be able to get a more powerful pump that wouldn't take as long for my next baby due in March.

I ve never used the swing but in the morning I get over 300 ml in 15mins. At most other pumps I get btwn 180 - 250 or so and normally never pump more than 20mins. That's between both breasts not each! most of the milk comes in first 10 mins though but I try to leave pump on til it's barely dribbling to make sure supply keeps up. Hope that helps!

To earlier poster I agree it's not worth the money for everyone to buy a double pump however I think if more people had a pump before the baby arrives then when they hit trouble they would be more inclined to pump than just give up. Just my opinion though!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Good point Mummilk. It would be great if antenatal classes covered the basics of pumping too. I remember how terrified I was to put my nipple in a pump when I started :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I ve never used the swing but in the morning I get over 300 ml in 15mins. At most other pumps I get btwn 180 - 250 or so and normally never pump more than 20mins. That's between both breasts not each! most of the milk comes in first 10 mins though but I try to leave pump on til it's barely dribbling to make sure supply keeps up. Hope that helps!

To earlier poster I agree it's not worth the money for everyone to buy a double pump however I think if more people had a pump before the baby arrives then when they hit trouble they would be more inclined to pump than just give up. Just my opinion though!

300ml in 15min :eek:.... That's great! I was thinking I was doing well with 300ml in an hour! I really wish I had someone to speak to about pumping last year....Even tho i wasn't exclusively pumping. Would've been great to speak to someone about the different pumps etc. I was considering renting one of the hospital ones coz I hear they are so much quicker... But at around €90 per month for someone whose not exclusively pumping I don't think I could justify it. Might try and sell my swing...

Edit: o hang on... Baby brain minute there... Just realising the reason it was probably taking a lot longer being I was breast feeding aswell so obviously I wouldn't have as much milk as yourself due to me pumping after feeds or inbetween feeds... Stupid baby brain!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

unhelpful posting like that will not be tolerated in this forum.

• Advertisement

My milk has just come in today, so far breastfeeding has been a disaster :( finding it so hard to get baby latched on, have had to do combined feeding with formula as baby now has jaundice! Got a loan of an electric pump today it is the avent scf334 double electric pump and all I can say is WOW! I got 50ml and my milk has just come in today :) my plan long term is to pump and feed to bottle only unfortunately but at least he is still getting the breast milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Millem wrote: »
    My milk has just come in today, so far breastfeeding has been a disaster :( finding it so hard to get baby latched on, have had to do combined feeding with formula as baby now has jaundice! Got a loan of an electric pump today it is the avent scf334 double electric pump and all I can say is WOW! I got 50ml and my milk has just come in today :) my plan long term is to pump and feed to bottle only unfortunately but at least he is still getting the breast milk.

Please get a lactation consultant or get to a breast feeding group before you give up on it and resign yourself to exclusively pumping. I had no help in the hospital and PHN was crap, I was in agony abd worried about her not getting enough. I was afraid to feed in front of people and terrified to go out in case she needed feeding. All I needed was some help and reassurance from someone who knew what they were talking about.

Exclusive pumping is very time consuming, always trying to keep ahead of yourself, sterilising bottles, pumps etc I was stressed out til I finally gave up at 8 months. I've friends who had the same hassles as me but got help and are still feeding a year later no problem so it makes a big difference

I'll second the advice on seeing a lactation consultant. Mine watched him trying in vain to latch on and bawling crying with frustration for about 30 seconds - then she sent me to buy nipple shields, and he's latched on perfectly every time I've tried since. Sometimes it's very easy to fix.

I'll second the advice on seeing a lactation consultant. Mine watched him trying in vain to latch on and bawling crying with frustration for about 30 seconds - then she sent me to buy nipple shields, and he's latched on perfectly every time I've tried since. Sometimes it's very easy to fix.

Went to the lactation consultant before the baby was born. Midwives have come every day to my house since Sunday and have been amazing help, have been using shields but still having problems he just falls asleep etc. starts to suck then stops. In fairness to midwives the have never stayed less than 1 hour every day with me trying to get him latched on. I am starting to think he might have "nipple confusion" because we have had to top up with formula for jaundice. Have to back to work in sept (but will do 8 days in June and 3 weeks working at home in July) so I never planned on breastfeeding past the 5-6 month mark. We both have found it so extremely time consuming and frustrating. The electric pump will only take 20 minutes and I just whack it in my steriliser 5 minutes. He guzzles down the bottles not a bother. I would prefer to give him breast milk than formula so am prepared to try pumping. What brand of nipple shields did you get? The MAM were recommended to me but were out of stock so got the madela ones. No one can seem to figure out my problem as I don't have inverted or flat nipples, I think my boobs are too big that they kind of smother him as I need to push into boob with finger so his nose isn't blocked! Lol lol lol second time using pump got 30ml 3 hours after last pump delighted with myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

While the midwives are great, they don't have the extensive Breastfeeding education that a lactation consultant has.
    You're covered to see the hospital lactation consultant up to 6 weeks post birth.
    Realistically, pumping will be a minimum of 20 minutes every 3 hours including at night, in order to meet your babies need without formula. Even then, during growth spurts etc, you may not pump enough.
    Don't get me wrong, pumping is an amazing thing to do, but it's double the work in the long run instead of seeing an lc now and getting baby back to breast, while will be a lot of hard work now but a lot easier in the long term.
    Either way, your baby is very lucky that you're going to such efforts :)

Millem wrote: »
    Went to the lactation consultant before the baby was born. Midwives have come every day to my house since Sunday and have been amazing help, have been using shields but still having problems he just falls asleep etc. starts to suck then stops. In fairness to midwives the have never stayed less than 1 hour every day with me trying to get him latched on. I am starting to think he might have "nipple confusion" because we have had to top up with formula for jaundice. Have to back to work in sept (but will do 8 days in June and 3 weeks working at home in July) so I never planned on breastfeeding past the 5-6 month mark. We both have found it so extremely time consuming and frustrating. The electric pump will only take 20 minutes and I just whack it in my steriliser 5 minutes. He guzzles down the bottles not a bother. I would prefer to give him breast milk than formula so am prepared to try pumping. What brand of nipple shields did you get? The MAM were recommended to me but were out of stock so got the madela ones. No one can seem to figure out my problem as I don't have inverted or flat nipples, I think my boobs are too big that they kind of smother him as I need to push into boob with finger so his nose isn't blocked! Lol lol lol second time using pump got 30ml 3 hours after last pump delighted with myself :)

I've the same problem with having to hold back boob out of the nose! I found the football hold easier than any other cos i found I could see baby's mouth more easily so I could tell if she'd her mouth open wide enough etc. have you tried any different positions?

I'm going to wait, as ideally I'd like to have a routine established first before I start expressing. And of course, there's always the risk that breastfeeding won't work out, for whatever reason, so don't want to buy a pump yet just in case.

I know exactly which one I want, though, so can easily send the boyfriend to buy it if necessary when the time comes.

Replying with the massive benefit of hindsight.

I would say absolutely do all the research before the baby is born, and have the pump all set up and you comfortable with how to use it before baby gets here.

I can recommend Medela Swing myself, but research all brands.

But do buy it first, and be prepared to use it. I had fully prepared to exclusively breastfeed; it did not work out that way. Even if it did, and if I was breastfeeding, I can see how having a pump at home would be invaluable.

Just to update, I found out that the electric pumps you buy yourself should only be used around twice as day as motor can burn out! I have have rented a hospital grade one to try out for a month it's a madela symphony €3.22 per day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Millem - your experience sounds pretty normal but try to persevere and take all the help that you can.
    I had the medala mini and it was used alot more then twice a day but the motor did burn out in the end after 3 kids. The Medala Swing is alot better for when you get the hang of it.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Millem - your experience sounds pretty normal but try to persevere and take all the help that you can.
    I had the medala mini and it was used alot more then twice a day but the motor did burn out in the end after 3 kids. The Medala Swing is alot better for when you get the hang of it.

Moonbeam I have been at it 8 days now and I am just exhausted! If he was on formula he would be fed every 4 hours, if he gets pure breast milk every 2 hours and if he has a combination it's every 3! The amount of bottles I go through a day is unreal and It feels like my steriliser is permanently on! Don't know if I can make it to the 6 week milstone :( my OH is telling me just to give him formula as I am so tired from the night shift :(

Advertisement