Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prophesies in ASOIAF - up to and including ADWD- will no doubt result in Spoilers!

Options
  • 12-12-2013 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

I am a big fan of the prohesies and theories in ASOIAF be it Jon's parentage, who is Azor Ahai etc, but I just heard an interesting one regarding Mirri Maz Duur's prophesy for Dany - you know the one - "When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."
    Some people reckon it is a long winded way of saying "Never", but others have considered it a prophesy.

There is a bit of speculation that this might be in the process of happenning/have happened
    - Quentyn Martell (Martel sigil is the Sun and spear) going from Westeos to Essos and dying (rising in the west and setting in the east) - The sea goes dry being the red waste beyond the Dothraki sea or indeed the Dothraki sea itself, mountains crumbling in the wind being the pyramids of Astapor being stromed by the Windblown or the pyramids of Meereen crumbling due to dragonflame and blowing in the wind. The womb quickening has probably already happened in the Dothraki sea - when she is trying to return to Meereen after flying off with Drogon she has a mystery moonblood - most likely a miscarriage, the living children could refer to a number of things, e.g. her dragons or the freemen who refer to her a Mhysa. And at the end of ADWD Drogon returns to her - named for Drogo, or alternatively a khalasar has returned to her which might be considered the essence of a Dothraki horselord.

Some are a bit "out there" but interesting to speculate all the same!

Anyone have any other wild ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Given that this is a world of fiction where prophecies are given credence it's not quite the same, but if you look at how real world occurrences are stretched to fit into prophecies (Nostradamus and 9/11 and all that bollocks), I think it's entirely possible that some or all of the prophecies are a pile of waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Agree completely if you search for something material in the vague ramblings of random characters you'll eventually turn up something. Doesn't stop it being a bit of craic searching for them though! Especially with the likes of these novels where it's come to the point that everything and everyone potentially has an ulterior motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Agree completely if you search for something material in the vague ramblings of random characters you'll eventually turn up something. Doesn't stop it being a bit of craic searching for them though! Especially with the likes of these novels where it's come to the point that everything and everyone potentially has an ulterior motive.

Yeah of course.

Things like "The Sun's son" and "the mummer's dragon" are quite compelling. It could well be all or partly true.
    But I think some of them are just as likely to be red herrings.

Either intentionally placed there to throw people or fans creating links where there are none (as often happens with fan-fiction).

Or, in other cases, they're self-fulfilling prophecies.

If the Others were to be defeated it might be called the "war for the dawn" and whoever lead it would be called Azor Ahai reborn.
    It wouldn't be the fulfillment of the prophecy so much as doing what was necessary to survive and fitting a story around it retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Oh, I think that's one's definitely "true", though Martin does include a few thoughts on prophecy in the series:
    Gorghan of Old Ghis once wrote that a prophecy is like a treacherous woman. She takes your member in her mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it and think, how sweet, how fine, how good this is...and then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams. That is the nature of prophecy, said Gorghan. Prophecy will bite your prick off every time.

You also have Maggy's prophecy for Cersei regarding her death being at the hands of the Valonquar (old Valyrian for younger brother) which I'm pretty certain means that Jaime will end up killing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Dany having to beware the Mummer's Dragon (aka Prince Aegon) is quite a pertinent one I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement