Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching from Vodafone to Tesco with an iPhone 4s....unlocking code...

• 12-12-2013 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

The Tesco signup, done in their pop-up shop in the Jervis Street Centre in Dublin, went like a dream.

I had phone and 3G signal on my iPhone within 15 minutes.

I'm now going to be paying €10 per month for 300 any network minutes, 300 texts and 1Gb data. :P

The only hitch, and there had to be one :(, was that the phone has to be unlocked again!

So, I had to go to a Vodafone shop. They called their service department who took the relevant details, and I will be emailed the unlocking code "...within 24 to 48 hours..."

If ever there was a reason to avoid Apple's control freakery and its products, this is one.

So, no phone until...........we shall see.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Because handsets are usually subsidised by the mobile provider they are locked into that provider. I'm no fan of Apple but locked phones are not unique to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for clarifying that.

Hopefully, I don't have to wait too long for that bleedin' number!

Wonder how I can check for messages from a landline......?

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

You could have also rang apple directly and they would give the code

Skalragg wrote: »

Why didn't anyone tell me that! :( Might have saved a lot of time.

I still don't have the code. Still not using the phone.

So, are they open weekends?

What's the number?

Also, where do I find this long number on the phone that I have to quote to them? Some sort of code....IME? ISE? Can't remember what it's called.

Finally, it's an iPhone 4S. Software is not updated to the new software. Will that make a difference?

Lastly, I've read about unlocking iPhone's using a SIM that has never been used. What does that mean? I have the Tesco SIM in the phone at the moment. It's showing full signal and 3G (or Wifi at home) So, it's presumably fully usable if only I could unlock the phone.

Thanks.

D.

Ps..........Edited.......

This seems to contradict what you're saying about contacting Apple........

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5014

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Skalragg wrote: »

There isn't a code.
    Apple unlock it via iTunes.
    You cannot request an unlock direct from Apple, it has to come directly from the Network.
    It can take up to 10 days for the request to come through.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    There isn't a code.
    Apple unlock it via iTunes.
    You cannot request an unlock direct from Apple, it has to come directly from the Network.
    It can take up to 10 days for the request to come through.

Thanks for the clarification.

Tesco (and other providers) should make it very clear to those signing up for SIM only deals may lose the use of their phones for some (very costly) days.

D.

Advertisement