Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop/Wifi : connection issues

Options
  • 12-12-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭

For the past two days, I have been speaking with Eircom Broadband support help desk.

My problem?
    I am trying to connection my wife's new laptop (Toshiba) to the internet using wireless wifi Eircom connection in our home.

Using my own laptop (also a Toshiba) it is able to pick up the wireless wifi connection and to connect to the internet without any difficulty.

When I tried to connect my wife's laptop using the wireless wifi connection, I am unable to get any connection.

Initially I spoke with Eircom and I had to download some additional modem software using my own laptop. But having done this, I still cannot connect to the internet on my wife's laptop.

Eircom contacted me today. We tried to resolve the matter using an Ethernet connection but to no avail.
    I spent approximately 90 minutes speaking with an Eircom broadband support person who was extremely helpful, but we were unable to resolve this issue.

At this  point, I don't know whether it is the Eircom modem which is at fault or the laptop which is at fault.

If anyone else here has experienced this problem and has managed to resolve this problem can they give me their solution please?

Thanks in advanc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

hinault wrote: »
    For the past two days, I have been speaking with Eircom Broadband support help desk.

My problem?
    I am trying to connection my wife's new laptop (Toshiba) to the internet using wireless wifi Eircom connection in our home.

Using my own laptop (also a Toshiba) it is able to pick up the wireless wifi connection and to connect to the internet without any difficulty.

When I tried to connect my wife's laptop using the wireless wifi connection, I am unable to get any connection.

Initially I spoke with Eircom and I had to download some additional modem software using my own laptop. But having done this, I still cannot connect to the internet on my wife's laptop.

Eircom contacted me today. We tried to resolve the matter using an Ethernet connection but to no avail.
    I spent approximately 90 minutes speaking with an Eircom broadband support person who was extremely helpful, but we were unable to resolve this issue.

At this  point, I don't know whether it is the Eircom modem which is at fault or the laptop which is at fault.

If anyone else here has experienced this problem and has managed to resolve this problem can they give me their solution please?

Thanks in advanc

So when you connected the laptop with an Ethernet cable directly you still weren't getting an internet connection . That would suggest it is a setting on your laptop I'd reckon . Had similar issues working on a PC myself . It could be an issue with the encryption settings on the wife's laptop . See if they match the encryption settings on your router . Issue I had before was that the PC had an issue with a previous key on it and would throw up a password mismatch error even you would be typing in the correct key . Check the encryption on the router by connecting the known working laptop with an Ethernet cable and then logging into the router with the address 192.168.1.254 and checking the encryption setting from there ,click Wireless , then check what the Privacy is set to , I.e. WEP. , WPA , etc . Then see if your wife's laptop has the same encryption settings by clicking Control Panel , then Network and Internet , then click Manage Wireless Networks . You will see the eircom router and it will tell you what security it is set to.If it's a different to the other laptop that might be your issue . I solved this by changing the security setting on the router by just changing to a different security type & changing the key . Save the new settings , write down the key . The router will reset and then you will have to put the new key in for both laptops . Just remember to have the working laptop connected to it via Ethernet cable when doing this ! And only proceed if your comfortable doing this as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Lenny : thanks for this suggestion. I will give your suggestion a try and I will confirm the success or otherwise of your suggestion.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

OK : I said I would update this thread with my feedback.

I began to follow Lenny's solution (above). I checked the wireless encryption on my own laptop and compared it to the encryption on the new Toshiba laptop which my wife bought : using the Ethernet connection.
    I then checked the wifi encryption on my laptop.

Before investigating further, I noticed the wifi F12 (function) button on my wife's Toshiba laptop keyboard. 
    I pressed FN key with the wifi F12 simultaneously, on a hunch.

Then on a hunch, I opened up "settings" and saw that wifi icon which had been "greyed out" previously, was now displaying an Eircom wifi symbol.

I double clicked on the Eircom wifi symbol. The screen displayed "Networks" and under wifi the Eircom symbol was displayed.
    I double clicked on this symbol and the prompt asked me to input my wifi password. 
    I keyed in my wifi password and hey presto my internet connection was established.

Whether pressing the FN & F12 button disabled some blockage preventing the laptop from locating the modem is the answer, I don't know.
    It might be the case that Toshiba laptops require this to be done before an internet connection can be established?

Anyhow the problem of laptop/Eircom wife has been fixed.

thanks again to Lenny for his help and thanks to all the Eircom support staff for their help over the last few days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

I began to follow Lenny's solution (above). I checked the wireless encryption on my own laptop and compared it to the encryption on the new Toshiba laptop which my wife bought : using the Ethernet connection.

Before investigating further, I noticed the wifi F12 (function) button on my wife's Toshiba laptop keyboard. 

Then on a hunch, I opened up "settings" and saw that wifi icon which had been "greyed out" previously, was now displaying an Eircom wifi symbol.

I double clicked on the Eircom wifi symbol. The screen displayed "Networks" and under wifi the Eircom symbol was displayed.
    I double clicked on this symbol and the prompt asked me to input my wifi password. 
    I keyed in my wifi password and hey presto my internet connection was established.

Whether pressing the FN & F12 button disabled some blockage preventing the laptop from locating the modem is the answer, I don't know.
    It might be the case that Toshiba laptops require this to be done before an internet connection can be established?

thanks again to Lenny for his help and thanks to all the Eircom support staff for their help over the last few days too.

Fair play :-) . A case if Occam's razor , the most obvious answer is usually the right one ! Surprised they didn't ask ya to check that but sure there ya go . Happy that your sorted and an easy thing to over look . Would have been more obvious if a tech could have physically examined your wife's laptop .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi hinault,

That's great, I'm glad to hear your issue has now been sorted for you now. Hopefully it will be plain sailing from now on.

Tracey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Lennyzip wrote: »

Fair play :-) . A case if Occam's razor , the most obvious answer is usually the right one ! Surprised they didn't ask ya to check that but sure there ya go . Happy that your sorted and an easy thing to over look . Would have been more obvious if a tech could have physically examined your wife's laptop .

Thanks very much for your help and great advice Lennyzip  :)

Tracey

Advertisement