Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City/County Council

Options
  • 12-12-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Regardless of the merits of the decision the amalgamate the City and County Councils it is going ahead so I was wondering if anyone knows how it's going to be made up (how many councillors and where they will be drawn from).

Looking at the population stats (from Wikipedia so might not be very accurate) the county has a population of approx 114,000 people which in a 12 seat council would mean 9,500 per seat. that would give Waterford City (City-47,000 Metro-68,000) 5-7 seats, Tramore (10,000) 1 and Dungarvan (8,000) another 1. With the other three spread between the rest. But that's just me spending five minutes on Wikipedia, I have no idea how it works in real life but I'd imagine it's going to involve a lot of political shenanigans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

8 councillors from Dungarvan/Lismore area (10 currently between them on co council)
    6 councillors from comeragh area (same as at present)
    18 councillors from city and tramore combined (3 areas to elect 6 councillors each)

total 32

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Thanks for the quick answer.

I'm very surprised that there is going to be 32 councillors. With that many there has to be a question of if they'll ever be able to get anything done. Not just too many cooks but too many kitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JaneDoe111

How many councillors are there currently?

15 on the city council at the moment
    23 on the county council at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

bluesfan wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick answer.

I'm very surprised that there is going to be 32 councillors. With that many there has to be a question of if they'll ever be able to get anything done. Not just too many cooks but too many kitchens.

Should be only one kitchen. In the City. When private companies merge duplication is eradicated. Not so in this case. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Are the county councillors postitions not being whipped out ?
    Where did the figure of 35 come from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Questions about number of councillors & staff for the new council should be answered somewhere in here:
    http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/media/localauthorities/Waterford%20Reorg%20%20Impl%20%20Plan%20%20and%20Econ%20%20Strategy.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

7upfree wrote: »
    Should be only one kitchen. In the City. When private companies merge duplication is eradicated. Not so in this case. Absolutely ridiculous.

The Councillors are the smallest part of it, Planning, Engineering, Environment, the lot is now going to be duplicated with no method or plan to leave excess staff go make redundant.....
    It is pure stupidity, just like the HSE decision where they called it one body but kept all the staff.

all the staff aren't being kept...there's actually a redundancy shceme in place at the moment...some employees have already gone (or have accepted redundancy and will be gone early 2014)

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The Councillors are the smallest part of it, Planning, Engineering, Environment, the lot is now going to be duplicated with no method or plan to leave excess staff go make redundant.....
    It is pure stupidity, just like the HSE decision where they called it one body but kept all the staff.

That's the point I'm making. Essentially it is a con job. All duplication should be eradicated. Only then will you achieve cost savings. Otherwise you're merely moving chess pieces around.

• Advertisement

all the staff aren't being kept...there's actually a redundancy shceme in place at the moment...some employees have already gone (or have accepted redundancy and will be gone early 2014)

Is ALL duplication gong to be eradicated? Are all administrative centres staying open?

Advertisement