Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV LICENCE INSPECTOR???

• 12-12-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys just looking for some advice please, I moved into rented accomodation a few months ago, between everything and my hours being cut, I never had the spare cash to get a tv licence. Just arrived home from work this eve and got a note in the door that the Inspector called and I have to get a licence in the next 5 days and they will be back in 11, with xmas just around the corner, would I get away with till the new year??? Any advice??? Also will I be fined for the last few months for not having it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Can you see a TV through the letterbox or in one of the front windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Don't answer your door until the new year. Simple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Did you have your holiday to Cuba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Sign up fit the direct debit straight away. Your lience is effective immediately and it's only 13.13 a month I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Silly question, but do you actually have a TV Op, plus, is the note addressed to you, or the Occupier?

AHs Answer...

BURN IT BURN IT!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Whos to say you received the letter?
    Dont worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Change the number on the door and leave a letter addressed to someone else sticking out of the letterbox. By the time they figure out whats going on you'll probably have moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Gotta love the sound AH advice ;)

cml387 wrote: »
    Did you have your holiday to Cuba?

Did you just look up her previous posts to find something she's spent money on that she could have used to pay the TV licence? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Like happywithlife said get the direct debit form - printable from the site - fill it in and send it off - only 13 euro and something a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Get rid of the TV?

They can't tax you for just using the internet .......yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Answer the door in a gimp suit and tell him that TV is like totally boring bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Lexxie

I am going to get it but just want to wait till after xmas yes I have a tv and it was wasn't addressed to anyone just the house no on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Take your TV to the pawnshop and buy it back after Christmas when you're able to pay for the licence.

CML387 just to let you know since you're so concerned about what i'm spending my money on, no i didn't go to cuba, make sure you PM me your address so I can forward you on my bank statements also since you're so interested in my previous posts!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lexxie wrote: »
    Just arrived home from work this eve and got a note in the door that the Inspector called and I have to get a licence in the next 5 days and they will be back in 11,
    I've been getting those letters for years. Unless your name is on the letter they haven't a clue who or what is in your house.

I'll get in January I'll be at work during the day so won't meet them, thanks everyone for the help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Answer the door only on your cock sock. If that doesn't work put up a sign on your door: no TV licence inspectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

What note?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

Have received 2 Dear Occupier letters in the last 2 months. I'm moving out of the country in the new year so don't want to get one.

The second one said the person saw evidence of a TV.

I live on the third floor of an apartment block. No possible way to see any "alleged" TV unless the inspector climbed onto the roof of the buildings behind and had use of a periscope. Chancers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

CML387 just to let you know since you're so concerned about what i'm spending my money on, no i didn't go to cuba, make sure you PM me your address so I can forward you on my bank statements also since you're so interested in my previous posts!!!

Excellent. So you can use the money you saved not going to Cuba to pay the license. Simples.

cml387 wrote: »
    Excellent. So you can use the money you saved not going to Cuba to pay the license. Simples.

I hate people like you. It's Christmas, lighten the f*ck up.

Get rid of the TV?

They can't tax you for just using the internet .......yet.

I for one, won't be paying if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I am going to get it but just want to wait till after xmas yes I have a tv and it was wasn't addressed to anyone just the house no on it.

Ignore it so, and dont answer the door to anyone unexpected. it's worked for me for 3 years and counting.

Ignore it so, and dont answer the door to anyone unexpected. it's worked for me for 3 years and counting.

Queue a new law being introduced that forces people to open their doors to anyone who rings it.

It would not surprise me in this country.

Ha ha what money, i wish!!!!!!!! Any chance of a loan simples??????

Queue a new law being introduced that forces people to open their doors to anyone who rings it.

It would not surprise me in this country.

country? you mean world. mass surveillance, invasion of privacy, taxes on taxes. sopa, cipa, nsa, right of assembly being made illegal. dissent not tolerated, the auld slope is being greased up and it's nice and slippery.....

Well said mauzo!!! Just because I asked about cuba in a previous post he brings it up now when asking about a TV licence!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

never open the front door to anyone unless you're expecting a visitor,and i doubt the tv licence inspector is on anyones guest list

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Don't answer the door. Don't give your name to anyone. They are desperate and they are bluffing. You could always return the form with the name of some imaginary Nigerian or East European

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

TV Licence is a notion from a bye-gone era and a law I completely disagree with.
    What makes RTE different or "special" as against a private channel like Sky or TV3?
    Privatise them and get rid of this non-sense stealth tax asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I'll get in January I'll be at work during the day so won't meet them, thanks everyone for the help!!

****ers have been calling to houses in my area around 9pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

kbell wrote: »
    ****ers have been calling to houses in my area around 9pm.

they have no homes to go to!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Who lets them into apartment blocks? Also are there seriously people knocking on house doors at 9?I wouldn't be too happy if I knew I wasn't expecting visitors and had people knocking on the door at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Gas! Read this thread earlier and now I've a sorry I missed you card at home!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

If you worked as a TV license inspector, would you have clicked on this thread?

Probably hoping someone was going to be praising your personal attitude and compromising nature during a difficult situation you handled recently.

If so, from the bottom of my heart I would like to say that you sir, have no worth to the survival of the species!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

I would in my fcuk hand over €160 to RTÉ to keep Ryan Tubridy and his like on over inflated wages.

OP, enjoy your Christmas and don't give a second thought to these shower of leeches calling to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

mauzo! wrote: »
    Don't answer your door until the new year. Simple!

Don't they send you a court summons if you ignore it? My friend was in court last month over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Don't buy a licence till the 1st of a month, they date the renewal a year from the beginning of the month you buy it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I understand that they've heard "all the excuses" but I still fancy myself as a good enough fibber that I could wing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

If you don't pay your TV licence in Ireland, you can be sent to prison.
    Where, ironically, there's a free and abundant supply of 'RTE'.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

cantdecide wrote: »
    I understand that they've heard "all the excuses" but I still fancy myself as a good enough fibber that I could wing it.

I'm of the same mindset, if I can get away with it, grand. If they finally catch up with me and my excuses, fair enough I'll pay! I like the challenge, make them work for the fee :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Just give me your bank details and I'll sort everything out OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I know from experience , they will automatically give you a few days to get the licence. the trouble only starts if you ignore that part. So no panic , don't answer and you'll be fine and worse case scenario you will have to buy one if you answer. They are generally too busy with other stuff in an post at Christmas.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If you don't pay your TV licence in Ireland, you can be sent to prison.
    Where, ironically, there's a free and abundant supply of 'RTE'.:rolleyes:

So what is your advice to the OP? Go to prison or get a licence?

So what is your advice to the OP? Go to prison or get a licence?

Neither. Ignore it.

Don't they send you a court summons if you ignore it? My friend was in court last month over it.

3 years and counting and no summons. they cant summon "occupant".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Sell the TV.
    Get a projector.
    Get Netflix.
    Get a DNS service that will convince online sites you are in the US.

Now you can watch lots and lots of TV, Movies and websites; without funding RTE and without breaking the law.

Of course, they'll change the law so that you can be taxed regardless.

In fairness, I think it's absolute crap that they'd expect a citizen to be more timely in payment of a debt that they are. Revenue incorrectly deducted property tax from my paycheck without contacting me (and I don't own a house) - back in September and they still haven't gotten around to refunding my 300 euro. But they think it's fine to give someone *FIVE DAYS* to do something. That's just wrong.

Also - why is it that they can accept payment instantly, but can't reverse payments or make payments themselves electronically?

3 years and counting and no summons. they cant summon "occupant".

I never got a summons either, and it was around 3 years too.

Must have gotten about 7 letters in 3 years and they were never any different!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Got yet another letter in the post today. Nearly 3 1/2 years at this stage. Scraped my name off the labels on the bins, nothing left visible in the car with my name on it, blind firmly pulled down and curtains drawn, completely ignore door bell, and regular visitors have a secret knock. I'll purchase a licence when I purchase a house.
    As long as they can't trace my car reg or check the name on the household bills, its all good in the hood

• Advertisement
Advertisement