Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ON/OFF Runner time to take it serious!

Options
  • 12-12-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

So here it is I am starting a Running blog. Bit of backround. I am a 31 year old Male 11 stone 11lbs, 5 ft 6ish. I have a sporting background in Gaelic Football and Soccer but Retired from Gaelic since I was 29.(Injuries, work and commitment being the main factors). I am very sporty and there is not alot that I havent tried!! In 2010 I ran my first 10km while I was still playing football and stuff. It was the Phoenix Park 10k and I done it in over 55mins. That Summer I done the Achill half Marathon (thats a tough half Marathon by the way) and I done that in something like 2 hours and 15mins. Then I finished off the season of 2010 with the Galway Bay Half Marathon that October and i heartbreakingly done that in 2 hours 0 mins 10 secs. 2011 started early on with a Tuam 8km in January cant remember the time, I think it was either 44 or 46 mins either way I wasnt happy with it, I can remember thinking of breaking the 40min mark. And that was 2011 I lost interest there and then.

2012 was no running at all.

Then 2013 started off very promising bought a bike and planned on doing some runs and duathlons, all going well up to March and that was the end of it. I done 2 10ks my best time being 52mins 50 seconds. I done a Adventure Race also but as I say from March onwards I did not enter any more races. Although I did continue to cycle regularly.

So to the present, approx early November 2013 I got the bug back again, and began reading up on blogs and training logs etc etc.. And I decided to go back running again. I convinced myself to try and do it properly this time.Start off slow and short and build it up. So i began 'Winter Training' in early November. Mixture of Strength and Core sessions and Running. Approx 3 times a week, 3 - 5kms each. Last week I almost ran every day.

Lets Cut to December

This week I ran 7.6km on Monday in 47mins, Yesterday I ran 5km in 32 mins. These runs were with a Dog so it wasnt prob as fast as i would have wished. I have a slight head cold so giving it a break tonight and back into it tomorrow.

I just plan on doing 8k, 10k and Duathlons. I have thought about possibly doing a half marathon again but I am not commiting to it, will see how fit I get.

I'll keep yee posted!

I am targetting the Tuam 8km as my 2014 debut on the 18th of January.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

So I had a break last night as I was feeling under the weather and promised you I would hit it again tonight.

I didnt disappoint. With Dog in Tow I ran 10 km in 1 hour 6 minutes, that did included some unscheduled stoppages by the Dog and the odd Cat, and some lazy running by the Dog. all in all I am happy to have got the 10k under my belt Pace not really a factor at this stage.

Possibly have the weekend off now and back to it on Monday!

Ran 10km on Threadmill this evening 1 hour

18th of December 5 km 25:15

Thats me now almost definately until 2014.

02/01/2014 5.5KM 32MIN 30 SECS

new runners some new cold weather gear got their first outting, not bad after the Xmas I had with alcohol and food :)

03/01/2014 5.5km 30min 57 secs

Happy start to 2014 the xmas doesnt seem to have set me back as much as i thought. Them runs have been with a Dog that has stopped for at least a minute to do its business!!

One worrying point is I seem to have injured my right heal. very sore this morning as if its bruised but its not.. So going to rest today and maybe do a long run tomorrow(10km).

Definately doing the 8km on the 19th of Jan and hope to beat my last time 3 years ago of 41 mins.

• Advertisement

Well I seem to have lost a Post from this morning but never mind it wasnt much.

04/01/14
    Rest Day with the Heal being sore I decided to rest on the running front but done 30 mins core work and it must have worked as when I woke up this morning the stomach was aching. I followed this up with 4 pints and a Large Doner Kebab :)

05/01/14
    So today is my Big Run Day so I set out about 6:30pm weather wasnt that bad. With Dog in tow, first 3 kms my stomach was aching but after that the pain disappeared. I wasnt going for any Landspeed records cause with in the first 2kms the Dog had messed that up for me.
    To be honest it was tough I think the Doner Kebab may have had its say in the end. But I was delighted to get the kms in the Bank. So the GPS said I ran
    10.43kms in 1hr 9 mins 7 seconds so Look Im happy with that considering I was with the Dog and the weather was poor and finally I think my GPS is not very accurate so I have an inkling I may have done a longer distance.

So happy with that, another rest day tomorrow and the plan for the rest of the week now is to do a speed session on an Athletics track during the week. Ill keep you posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Keep it going for 2014!

Keep it going for 2014!

Cheers king size mars bar Ill try my best!

So tonight I completed my first Speed session on the track. Wasnt sure what to expect so I decided to do a few 1km distances and a relevantly fast speed.
    So I ended up doing 4 in the end in times of
    4:30,
    4:44,
    4:44
    and finally 4:50.

I was fairly bursted doing them in fairness.

I then done a 400m lap to finish off in 1:43. I finished at that because the Track got congested with a Juvenile Group.

So when I got home I decided to take the Dog out And finished up with a steady jog on the road for 3.5km 26 minutes.

We will see how I am feeling tomorrow.

When it comes to the track sessions I aim to do an extra 1km or two next time and see if I can lower those times, Also Would like to a few more 400m Laps.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The dog ain't too bad on the track either! Keep it up man.

• Advertisement

Tonight I ran 5.55km in 29:48. Again this was with a Dog.This has been my fastest time so far on this route so happy with that. Used street lights as interval markers for a while, upping the pace and slowing back down again in between. Was abit tired after the track session last night, but glad I got it done.

That dog must be the fittest dog in Ireland lol

That dog must be the fittest dog in Ireland lol
    she is a husky. She loves to run :)

She has no choice ! Out tonight myself always enjoy running in the rain

Took Thursday as a rest day and Done 30 minutes roughly of Core Work instead.
    I didnt hurt myself as much as I did the week before as I felt alright this morning.

Fri: Ran 6.83km in 50:27 = SLUGGISH
    Its disappointing looking at that but my run tracker is not the most accurate for tracking the distance so probably not as bad as it looks(an example being I ran a very similar route before and it clocked it at 7.8km), but I was sluggish. Not sure if it was to do with the Cold Night or the length of time since I last ate before I ran but I just never got going at all, even early on I was trying my best to kick on but couldnt. So I just got a point where I was like lets just complete this and get home.

Hope to do a Long run either tomorrow or Sunday.

All have days like that, but I wouldn't worry too much bout it just keep pounding the roads!

Well back on the road tonight,

Changed over to Mileage tonight as everyone on here seems to go by Miles and it will be easier to compare on contrast where Im at by singing off the same hymn sheet as it were.

Ok so after a disappointing night last night so I ran

3.04 miles in 31:15 avg PACE OF 10:16

Again the inconsistent GPS tracker strikes again. It was definately a little bit further than that but anyway.

I hope to get out tomorrow to do my long run of the week. Hopefully at least 10k(6.2miles).

Big Run for the week Completed today.

5.81 miles Time 1:06.43 Avg Pace:11:29

My run was in a local park which I was informed a full Loop was 5km so I done two Full Loops which took me to the 5 mile mark and then done an extra bit again that took it to 5.81. Really confused with it to be honest but just not gonna dwell on it too much.
    The splits were
    1m: 10:51
    2m: 11:51
    3m: 10:27
    4m: 11:17
    5m: 10:49
    5.81m: 11:18

Right Rest Day Tomorrow and then Track Speed session on Tuesday. maybe a light jog then in between.

8k Race on Sunday!

This is a Link to my old thread from Last Year or two.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056169026

Not. A great training week for myself this week only got out twice hoping to get out more this week coming. Enjoy your rest day tomorrow

• Advertisement

Cheers King Size Mars Bar, I know the feeling about not being able to get out, in a few weeks I will struggle for a week to get out at all due to work(On Call in the evenings). Its hard sometimes cause I do think that if I havent done anything for a while after being consistent up to that point that it will set me back. But nothing I can do about it, work is work.

On another point my GPS thinks I can run on water!!! Ran across a lake apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Keep it going, the progress is there and the enthusiasm is very evident.
    Looking forward to your progression!

Speed training Night

Due to time constraints I just done the same drill as last week.

4 x 1km runs

4:16
    4:40

1 x 400m 1:36

So my first 1km was my fastest so far. Knocking 14 seconds off last weeks best time. And my 400m was faster also and could prob have been better but I didnt have a clear run on my lap took 10 secs off last weeks time.

I warmed down with a mile and a half jog. So the rest of the week will be quiet before the 8k on SUnday. Ive a sore right heal which needs a good rest. Will prob do a short light run on thursday or friday. And maybe core work tomorrow night.

Just an update.. went to bed last night at 11:30 with a slight pain in my right heal, woke up at 3:30am with throbbing pain in my right heal. I couldn't walk on it, so was hopping along. Back to bed got up this morning no better. I was off work today anyway but if I wasn't I dunno how I would have looked hopping around.

So at the moment I still cant walk on it fully, I am able to lean on it if I am up on my toes but its still distressful. Not sure if there is anything that can be done bar rest??

Not looking Good for Sundays 8km run.

That's not good news coming up to the weekend and the race, I hope a rest will get in back right for the race. Got out myself this evening work has me by the balls lately so training is not where it should be , but glad to get out this evening for a 6k run. Really hope the heel comes good quickly

OK, As you can see from my previous posts after tuesdays session I was in alot of pain Wednesday in my heal so much so that I couldnt walk on iy until about 6pm Weds evening. Although it improved alot by Thursday morning, its still quiet unconfortable and has not improved as much over night last night.

I have not done any running what so ever since Tuesday, and I have a 8k Race on Sunday.

I decided Wednesday I would do nothing until Sunday to see if I could be some how fit to run it as I want to give my PB a good shot, but this isnt exactly great prep to try and better a PB, and I honestly thought the recovery would be a bit faster. At this rate I think I will be able to run on Sunday but I think I will be running with discomfort in my heal!

Any suggestions/advise on what I should do? If I decide to miss this race my next race I have ear marked is a 10k in March!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

My advice would be to skip the race on Sunday. You'll only end up running a poor race and there's a high risk of you doing long term damage to your heel. Two days ago you couldn't put any weight on it and from your last post I get the impression it hasn't improved significantly. Skip the race and go to a physio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

+ 1 to what Career move said - not worth the risk - there will be other races. skip the race and defo see a physio.

My advice would be to skip the race on Sunday. You'll only end up running a poor race and there's a high risk of you doing long term damage to your heel. Two days ago you couldn't put any weight on it and from your last post I get the impression it hasn't improved significantly. Skip the race and go to a physio

Thanks Career_move and TomJoad. I think you are both correct. Any idea how much a physio session would cost and Would you advise to go as soon as possible or rest it for a bit first.

Looks like Beer this weekend so..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thanks Career_move and TomJoad. I think you are both correct. Any idea how much a physio session would cost and Would you advise to go as soon as possible or rest it for a bit first.

Looks like Beer this weekend so..
    I'd go a.s.a.p. Mine charges 40 but try and get a recommendation for someone in your area. There are good physios and average physios ;)

Advertisement