Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ON/OFF Runner time to take it serious!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Mines 40 too - but that's in the sticks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Where abouts are you based? A few of my old class are based over that neck of the woods if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

Thanks to everyone for your advise and Goodwill. I have took your advise on board and I am booked in for a physio session tomorrow night, very reasonable too at 40 euro. I got great feedback off a number of people on this fella. I am based in South Mayo Ecoli, I will let you know how it goes.

So at this stage I am almost been resting for a full week. So I done a Core session tonight, as not much else I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Abs for show, core for go! Hope the injury is getting better.

Well went to a Physio tonight and he assessed my foot. Apparently I am flat footed and this has caused my injury combined with a tight calf muscle. basically the muscles in the base of my foot are tight. so he done his stuff on my Calf (brought water to my eyes at one stage) and then done the same with the base and heal of my foot(I let out a few shouts of discomfort) He remarked after words that my calf and foot were very tough.

He recommends doing nothing on it for another week and then to do another session with him. So I will let him run the rule over me once more as I must admit it does feel alot better after all that pain. He has also gave me a couple of stretchs for my calf and my foot to work on.

He also suggests I get insoles as my arch is not supporting my foot - in fairness to him he did say to just get the normal insoles first from your local pharmacy rather than paying a small fortune for some special ones as he believes it may only take a slight alteration to fix the problem.

Earlier in the day I done some circuit exercises on my legs, one legged squats etc.. I find it difficult to stop altogether so gonna try and keep doing what I can.

So another week out!

Keep you updated!!

• Advertisement

That's not so bad septic all when you feel a bit better already, try follow his advice and rest it for the week and after that you should be a okay !

Any updates on the injury?

Still laid up with it unfortunately. I havent done anything on it since and its still sore. Back to the physio this Thursday. I could probably run on it now but I think I would have to look after it (ice it straight after) be afraid of the after effects the day after. I will see what the Physio says Thursday, I will ask him if its ok to go back running on it or what he suggests. Unfortunately I have done no substitute training at all so I have been piling back on the pounds here for the past 2 weeks or so. Hope the Physio gives me some good news. I got a lovely birthday gift about a week ago. A Garmin forerunner 110 and would love to try it out as soon as possible.

I was hoping to do a good time at a 10k in mid March but its not looking good now! :(

Just an update....been to physio again tonight.

he worked on my leg from the quads all the waydown to the foot. Was very uncomfortable. he said my quad was very tight also.

he has advised me to DEFINATELY get insoles ASAP. he also said to take at least another week rest again with regular stretching of quads and calfs.

he has suggested getting a foam roller for my quads.

so another week laid up at least getting a bit fed up of it now :(

Sorry to hear that your still laid up, def recommend the foam roller! Fingers crossed you get the green light to head back training after the next visit to the physio .

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Take the week man. It'll be slow progress with the insoles too. I'm wearing them round the house 2/3 hours at night. Am building it up to wearing them at work, and then will try squeeze them into the runners.

Thanks lads. I will take this week anyway. Purchased insoles today for thirty odd quid and have them in straight away. I might invest in a foam roller too. Physio said it wpuld make a massive difference fpr my quads and hamstrings.

So its been well over a month now and the injury is still there..looks like I wont be partaking in a 10k I was hoping to do in March and another in April is very doubtful. I have decided I am going to go for a 'test the water' run tomorrow night. 4 weeks of no exercise and over indulgence is no good for any man. So ill see how it goes..if it doesnt go well I may have to accept the fact there will be no running for me this year..and get my bike out!!ill update you tomorrow night/tuesday morning on the reaction.

F..k that's ****ty, really hope the run goes well tomorrow , maybe with a bit of luck you will get to do some races!

So tonight I went back on the road. I have an in jury which is still hurting me slightly but I decided to give it a go tonight to see how it goes.

I started by doing a good stretch on the main muscles, calfs, hamstring and quads and then hit the road. for the first km my heal was sore but after that the pain seemed to go.

I ran 2.03 miles in 18.35
    1st mile 9:05
    2nd Mile 9:11

Avg Pace:9:09

First night with my new Garmin Forerunner 110. I am very happy with these times but I was shattered by the end and don't think I could have gone much further the gap of 5 weeks with out an exercise was quite obvious so the fitness has to be built back up for sure.

Got back home and done another good stretch and then iced both my feet. So we will see how I am tomorrow. Hopefully be ok and plan to do a session on my foam roller tomorrow night.

Hopefully the comeback is on!!

Good stuff fingers crossed your ok today after the run.

Ok Good News after my first run in 5 weeks my injury responded well. Very little difference in the daily pain im used to.

Tuesday evening I done my first session on my foam roller. Done time on my Quads, Hamstrings, calfs and IT bands. Felt it afterwards. And felt it Wednesday morning.

Wednesday I had to go to the Doctor felt bad all day and he confirmed I had a viral infection. Even missed work and he advised me to stay off for the rest of the week But this evening I was so eager to run I convinced myself its above the shoulders so crack on.

3.68 miles
    Avg Pace:9:06

Mile 1: 8:31
    Mile 2: 9:00
    Mile 3: 9:35
    0.68 : 6:32

Done a good stretch before and after and also Iced the feet afterwards.

So not too bad of a run considering my condition, but as you can see from my times I was gradually getting slower so the fitness needs a bit of work to build back up.
    Hope to do a 6 miler/10km route on Saturday morning before the Rugby hope the Viral Infection has cleared up by then.
    Will see how the injury goes and thinking of doing a 10k in 2 and a bit weeks in my local village its for a good cause so I probably wont be anywhere near fully fit so wont be breaking any PB's but Ill take part support the Local cause and use it as a training run.(hopefully)

Great stuff the fact the injury didn't flair up after the run, but if your sick be careful with the training and don't over do it as you are probably a bit run down.

Right so quick update,
    Done a Foam rolling session on Friday then I failed miserably this weekend to do any run at all. I meant to go out Saturday and do a 10k route at home but the weather was awful and a lad was to do it with me and he chickened out so then i chickened out. Then went out for the Rugby and wasnt in the mood for much Sunday.

Was away working Monday and didnt get back until late Tuesday.

So went out tonight, started off cold and wet but got into it
    here is the scientific bit

Distance: 4.73 miles
    Time: 44.18
    Avg Speed:9:22

1: 8:47
    2: 9:01
    3: 9:11
    4: 10:07
    5: 7:09(.73)

So happy enough with that, when i got home I realised I forgot to put my insoles into my runners. :( hopefully it wont effect much

Hope to get another few runs in this week,

I'd say after the result of the rugby you wish you did go for that run!

• Advertisement

My version of a Recovery run tonight after doing almost 8km last night the furthest I have ran since I came back from injury I thought a recovery run was required. to be honest I ran over 3 miles but at the half way mark I was knackered and just wanted to complete it. My legs were heavy and I went straight out after work so the energy levels were low. But I got it done.

Here are the facts

distance: 3.29 miles
    time:31:35
    Avg pace: 9:36

1:9:27
    2:9:25
    3:9:57
    4:(.29)2.44

So hopefully keep clocking up the miles and be in decent/satisfactory shape for the local 10k sunday week, which I will just treat as a LSR.

Ok 3 nights running in a row.
    Started off tonight thinking I will do 3 miles like the night before but when I got to the 3 miler mark I Felt pretty good and thought Ill stretch it a bit more and maybe use this as my LSR for the week instead of doing it maybe saturday or sunday.

So I ended up doing 6.37 miles

here are the facts

distance: 6.37 miles
    time:1:00.15
    avg pace:9:27

1:8:59
    2:9:13
    3:9:19
    4:9:37
    5:9:55
    6:9:36
    .37 : 3:33

REST DAY TOMORROW

Looks like things heading in the right direction for you. Had a disagreement with my hamstring this morning hoping its nothing too serious and something a few days rest and stretching will sort , so chill for the res of the weekend. Looks like the insoles are doing the job for ya

Brought the kid swimming today and there was a cold plunge pool in the leisure centre so I dipped the legs into it for a few minutes while I had the opportunity. Never miss an opportunity for recovery ha ha.

Looks like things heading in the right direction for you. Had a disagreement with my hamstring this morning hoping its nothing too serious and something a few days rest and stretching will sort , so chill for the res of the weekend. Looks like the insoles are doing the job for ya

Thanks KSMB, ya its looking good. Best of luck with the hamstring, used to be a regular pain problem for me but thankfully hasnt bothered me in a bit. Either the insoles, extra stretching or foam rolling is helping me with my heal or maybe a combination of all. either way I ran that distance yesterday and today my heal is no painful than usual. It is slowly slowly improving, but not getting any worse which is great.

Ya rest up now, few beers and maybe a short run tomorrow we will see.

Day off yesterday
    Foam Rolling session this morning!

3.72 miles this evening
    Time:32:33
    Avg Pace:8:48

1:8:46
    2:8:35
    3:8:55
    .72 : 6.24

Started off this run my legs felt heavy, My first mile is usually my quickest due to a section of down hill on that mile but I kept the pace up on the second mile and actually ended up going faster. I did find it tough but I did push it. You may not think it but this run was me pushing myself almost as fast as I could go. the third mile I kept the pace relatively quick and well the 4th mile was on target to match the third mile. I was happy I pushed myself and my avg pace has dropped compared to my previous runs at this distance.

I plan to run the same again tomorrow, tuesday off and then a longish one weds 5-6 miles. recovery run thursday and then friday and saturday off in prep for the 10k on Sunday.

Have you a target time for the 10k ?

Have you a target time for the 10k ?

Not really because I dont really think Im gonna be breaking any records. When I done the race last year I done it in 53 minutes and I had a good 3 or 4 weeks solid uninterrupted training behind me.

I was going to wait and see how I feel after this week of runs and was gonna decide then whether I would try and burst myself to break that time or just to go steady and enjoy it. I know the course well the first km is almost all down hill then the next 2 are uphill. If I was to go for it I probably run the first 1 km at a very fast pace and then try to steady the pace for the next 2 and get over the climb, I think if I got to the 5km mark still under the 5m/km mark (25mins) and I was still feeling fine at that point then I would prob push for it, but If Im off the pace at that point then Ill just relax and enjoy the rest of the race and use it as a training run.

Does that make sense?

Might be no harm to just enjoy the race and use it as a training run, don't want to do too much too soon if you know what I mean.

Ok Day off yesterday.

Went out tonight and ran 7.23 miles in 1:09:45

1:9:47
    2:9:27
    3:9:21
    4:9:36
    5:9:51
    6:9:22
    7:10:14
    .23 : 2.03

Avg Pace:9:39

decided to do this as my LSR with the Race being on Sunday. This was my longest run in about 2 years since I was training for my last half marathon. Legs were feeling it but it was worth it at the finish.

Recovery run or Rest Day tomorrow not quite sure yet.

• Advertisement

Ok weds night off and done foam rolling

last night I ran 3.70 miles 34:09 avg pace 9:14

nice steady pace

roll on the 10k on Sunday

Advertisement