Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union [as bank alternative]

Options
  • 12-12-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭

I am currently with Ulsterbank but I am sick of their delays and half baked excuses and general bullsh!t. Is the credit union the same as a bank now? Can my wages get paid there? Can I pay my rent and DD's out of a CU ac? How do the charges compare to banks? Currently getting charged €8 a month by ulsterbank for 2 accounts.

If it isn't possible to do all this with the credit union, what would be the best bank to switch to? I don't make enough to avoid the charges, so the lower charge the better.

If anyone can give me some advice it would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not quite.

Some credit unions operate similarly (you can have a sort code/account number, online banking, electronic payments/bill payments etc) but many aren't even near there yet.

You've no debit card access either.

PTSB offer "fee free" banking should you lodge 1500 euro a month in. EBS have a similar, but less "no strings" deal. Is there any reason in particular you haven't avoided UB's fees through lodging the requisite amount of money through your a/c etc? It is possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Not quite.

Some credit unions operate similarly (you can have a sort code/account number, online banking, electronic payments/bill payments etc) but many aren't even near there yet.

You've no debit card access either.

PTSB offer "fee free" banking should you lodge 1500 euro a month in. EBS have a similar, but less "no strings" deal. Is there any reason in particular you haven't avoided UB's fees through lodging the requisite amount of money through your a/c etc? It is possible :)

Maybe the no debit card access might save me money :pac:

I doubt the Killarney Credit Union would have the sort codes and payments and online banking etc. that you mentioned yet but no harm popping into them I suppose. I don't earn 1500 a month, I did look at PTSB but I earn about 1400 a month which is disappointing. There isn't an EBS in Killarney far as I know. This is actually more head wrecking than I had imagined. Seems like you are getting screwed in some way no matter where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

dobman88 wrote: »
    Maybe the no debit card access might save me money :pac:

I doubt the Killarney Credit Union would have the sort codes and payments and online banking etc. that you mentioned yet but no harm popping into them I suppose. I don't earn 1500 a month, I did look at PTSB but I earn about 1400 a month which is disappointing. There isn't an EBS in Killarney far as I know. This is actually more head wrecking than I had imagined. Seems like you are getting screwed in some way no matter where you go.

EBS Killarney
    3 Main Street , Killarney , Kerry 064 - 663 6511 , Mon - Fri 9.30am - 5pm

You could also apply to the Killarney Credit Union for a card to access their own CreditUnion ATM. I paid 10euros yonks ago to apply and open that account (separate to the savings account). You can only withdraw what monies are in that account as opposed to your main savings account which is a positive. I've never done anything about it since though.
    I have a Killarney Credit Union QuickCash ATM Card (never used mind),

but that's an option for you anywhoo :)
    kerry4sam

Thanks kerry4sm, I thought that place was gone. Any ideas of fees with EBS or Credit Union?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

dobman88 wrote: »
    Thanks kerry4sm, I thought that place was gone. Any ideas of fees with EBS or Credit Union?

Quite possible, a phonecall in the morning will sort that. As for fees, not a notion! As I said, I've not used the QuickCash ATM for the CreditUnion so cannot comment on fees applied per transaction etc. Another quick phonecall there in the morning on 064 6631344 will answer that for you too :)

I must look into it actually as pointless having a card sitting in my wallet for an ATM and never use it.
    They are made to be used after all! :)
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

There was a guy from the Credit Union League on Today with Sean O'Rourke this morning who intimated the full, or almost full, banking facilities will be available from CUs in the near future.

Thanks a lot folks. Something for me to do on my next day off. Glad to know it's not impossible though. The sooner I get away from Ulster Bank the better. Just sick of them at this stage.

There was a guy from the Credit Union League on Today with Sean O'Rourke this morning who intimated the full, or almost full, banking facilities will be available from CUs in the near future.

Maybe, perhaps. Though they are getting infrastructure in place, it's not going to be all lined up for quite a while :/

OP: You don't need to earn 1500 for ptsb or EBS..just put that amount through the account in a month. So therefore a little jiggery pokery (wages in, some to a savings account, some back in) you've hit that target and voila.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Maybe, perhaps. Though they are getting infrastructure in place, it's not going to be all lined up for quite a while :/

OP: You don't need to earn 1500 for ptsb or EBS..just put that amount through the account in a month. So therefore a little jiggery pokery (wages in, some to a savings account, some back in) you've hit that target and voila.

So I get my wages paid in, €100 goes to my savings and I pay €50 back in to my current ac each week bringing the "total" over 1500. I didn't think that would be allowed as it is just the same money being recycled?

Yup. Same for EBS. Same with Ulster's 3000 EUR to avoid the 4 EUR fee (just a bigger PITA to avoid). Doesn't have to be from the one source, or in one lump etc. Just that there is an inflow of that amount minimum per month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I am with the ebs and pay no charges. They only charge for certain services like cash withdrawls from your branch or atm and cheque lodgements etc. All cash lodgements are free in branch and all online debit card transactions are free as are direct debits. You don't need to lodge or have any minimum amount pass through the account to get the free banking.

Thanks folks. So EBS ot PTSB it is then. That's the entertainment for my next day off sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CurrentAccountCompare.aspx?i=239,414,

The only way you would pay alot of transaction fees with EBS is if you kept using your ATM card or taking money out in the EBS office.

EBS has no maintenance fee and standing orders and direct debits are FREE regardless of €1,500 a month or keeping a minimum balance of €500 each month.

Advertisement