Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New owner - eligible to leave?

Options
  • 12-12-2013 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

the apartment complex I am living was sold this month and I just received a letter stating that I have to sign a new 12 months contract with the new owner. My current contract ends in Spring next year. I am not very happy with the apartment anymore - can I refuse to sign the contract and just move out earlier than Spring?

Many thanks,
    Robert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sbryf

spygirl wrote: »
    yep
    ... and how do I do it? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

If the previous owner went bankrupt/liquidated you have probably already lost your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

You just don't sign the new contract and start looking for a new place, your deposit is most likely gone. You may still have to give the one months notice, not sure on this point tbh. Highly unlikely the new contract would arrive this side of christmas an even if it did, reasonable enough if you forgot about it with everything going on this time of year, delays with the post etc Start looking for a new place and good luck in your new home

You just don't sign the new contract and start looking for a new place, your deposit is most likely gone. You may still have to give the one months notice, not sure on this point tbh. Highly unlikely the new contract would arrive this side of christmas an even if it did, reasonable enough if you forgot about it with everything going on this time of year, delays with the post etc Start looking for a new place and good luck in your new home
    Thanks for your help. I will start looking for a new place right away. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Suggest a call to the PTRB to check your rights, even if the apartment is not registered. If the apartment has already changed hands then you need to confirm who, if anyone, you should be paying your rent to and clarify the deposit issue before handing over cash to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You may still have to give the one months notice, not sure on this point tbh.

If the OP has been notified of the new landlord and has been paying them rent then the tenancy continues and normal part 4 conditions apply (assuming the lease has expired).

OP once you have been in a property for 6 months then you may remain for up to 4 years, with no obligation to sign a further lease (you cannot legally be penalised for not signing a lease).

Thank you all. I have been notified of the new landlord yesterday and informed that I shall sign a new contract. The rent is due to the end of the month - so no payments from my side yet. I will get in touch with the previous management (Savills) regarding the deposit. I signed a 12 months contract for this apartment in Spring this year and as I said I like to move out and thought this might be a good opportunity. What will be the notice period, if there is any if I do not sign the contract with the new owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

So you still have a fixed term lease in effect? In that case that lease is still valid, as you have been notified of the change of landlord. The new landlord has no right to insist that you sign a new lease, and has no right to even ask until your current one has expired. Likewise, you cannot break this lease (other than reassigning) until it has expired.

The contract includes a minimum stay of 12 months so it is presumably a fixed term lease. Damn it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement