Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the difference between....

Options
  • 12-12-2013 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

So, simple question, what is the difference between

A Horse Lease, a Horse Share and a Horse Loan

Just trying to clarify what people usually expect or provide with each description before I start trawling through ads for my daughter

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I would really consider there to be much difference but to me, horse loan/lease would be giving the horse to someone for a period of time and share would be keeping the horse and dividing responsibility for it. Each of these, though, will have their own conditions set out by the owner. I would ask them what it is they're willing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So, simple question, what is the difference between

A Horse Lease, a Horse Share and a Horse Loan

Just trying to clarify what people usually expect or provide with each description before I start trawling through ads for my daughter

Thanks

A share agreement is where the owner stills rides or cares for the horse, and your daughter would have a share in the duties and riding of the horse.

Some owners would take a larger financial contribution for less duties, say, if the horse was already on full livery. You would have to set the terms of the agreement, what duties needed doing (mucking out/turning out/feeding) and how many days of the week you would ride in return for those duties/and or financial contribution.

A loan then, is where the owner loans the horse entirely to the person, who has sole responsibility for the horse. Depending on the agreement, the owner may retain responsibility for certain costs, vet fees etc

A full loan, is where the owner wants no responsibility, a part loan is where the owner retains responsibility for some things.

The owner may loan the horse out entirely, or request that it stay on site.

A lease is just semantics I think! Americans use it more often then a 'loan horse', it could refer to a horse that is for lease or hire though either, such as a horse on lease for the purpose of hunting over a season. Where you would pay a set rate to compete the horse every weekend or such.

In any case, make sure you write up a contract (there are examples available online) and discuss details like what would happen if the horse were to go lame etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lease = you pay to have the horse
    Loan -may be free to use it for the specified period
    Share -very often the owner wants horse kept in a particular yard and you share some "time" with them-you pay for this and for half the bills sometimes too.
    That's the way it works around here anyhow.
    For lease/loan/share, I'd consider getting insurance for the horse.

Advertisement