Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay personal credit card through 365

Options
  • 12-12-2013 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have 365 online set up and I can see my accounts, including a current account, a deposit account and my credit card account (under two different numbers, an old one and a new one, showing the same details).

I want to transfer money from my current account to my credit card account.

This has proven exceedingly complicated, esp. since I'm currently abroad.

On the day before I left I wanted to throw a bunch of money onto the credit card and then realised for the first time that I couldn't just transfer money between the accounts. I figured I could because when I asked to have the credit card added to 365, one of the benefits was supposed to be "pay off your credit card".

I called Banking 365 about this and they forwarded me to the credit card section who forwarded me back to Banking 365 with about 20 minutes wait between. Eventually the guy told me I would have to add the credit card as a payee. I asked him what bank account number I should use and he said just use the credit card number. In the meantime I ran to the bank, withdrew cash and deposited it on the card (I had to convince them I couldn't do it online!).

Later on I tried adding the credit card as a payee. Adding payees requires a 8 digit account number not a card number. Despite searching everywhere, I don't know what the account number of my credit card is or how to find out. Hence I didn't get it set up on time.

My core situation now is that I'm abroad and my Visa Debit card doesn't work in the ATMs here (it seems it's not accepted anywhere the Visa logo is shown, as claimed here). I'm nearing my credit limit and soon I will have no way to access any money from any of my BOI accounts. I urgently need to transfer money onto my credit card. Roaming on my phone does not work here so I cannot receive PINs. I can wait for the PIN code to be sent to my home address but not for long.

Why does this have to be so complicated? The system knows it's my credit card and my current account and that I'm the person logged in. It makes no sense.

Anyways, sorry for the long post ... I'm just frustrated and worried. Any advice on how to pay off my credit card (already added to 365) through my current account (also on the same 365 profile) would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 badroit

As a separate follow-up question, I see that Banking 365 does not support adding international payees for the country I am currently in (Chile). The small print says to call into a local branch to organise the transfer but this is impossible for me. Any advice on how to make payments to a country not on the list here without having to go to the bank in person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi badroit,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We are sorry to hear of the recent difficulties you've encountered. When you request that your credit card is added to your profile, this gives you access to viewing the card balance and transactions only.

To make transfers to the credit card, you need to add it as a payee. To do this, please select Add a Bill and then select BOI CC from the drop down list. In the Bill Reference field, you need to enter your 16 digit credit card number. 

Before funds can be transferred you will need to activate the payee details with a security code. If you don't have roaming enabled on your mobile, you will need to have the code issued by post. You mentioned that you are currently abroad, will there be someone at home who can forward this to you? 

The Visa Debit card can be used worldwide where the Visa symbol is displayed. In countries that do not have Chip and PIN ATMs, we have reduced withdrawal limits in place, so we would suggest requesting a smaller amount at the ATM.

International transfers to countries that are not available on 365 Online, need to be requested in writing with your account holding branch. As you cannot call into a branch, you will need to post a letter to request this.

Thanks
    Tara

Thanks Tara,

To do this, please select Add a Bill and then select BOI CC from the drop down list.

I finally found it!

Money Transfer > Pay A Bill > [Choose Account] > Then small "Add Bill" button beside the "Select Payee" drop-down box.

It's not exactly very intuitive and pretty well hidden. I really searched everywhere for that or instructions for that and obvious "Add Payee" option is a dead-end. Anyways I have found it now and I can post out the PIN, thanks!

The Visa Debit card can be used worldwide where the Visa symbol is displayed.

Well this has not been my experience. I have tried three different ATMs with the Visa logo on there. I entered my PIN, "Foreign Client" option, my requested amount and tried both "Savings Account" and "Checking Account"; nothing has worked. It states "Invalid Transaction, Please Contact your Service Provider".

These ATMs then accepted my credit card no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi badroit,

When you're using the debit card, is the ATM bringing you as far as entering an amount? If so, we'd recommend trying smaller amounts. If not, you'll need to call BOI365 on 00353 1 4044000 to have the status of your card checked.

Thanks
    Tara

Yup, it goes through the whole process and at the point where it should issue cash, it says something like "Invalid transaction". I think I already tried amounts around €50 or so, but I'll try the smallest amount next time. If it doesn't work, I'll call BOI next week and see what's up. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Okay, I've managed to set up payment of credit card through 365.

As for the Visa Debit card, it won't work at most machines with just the Visa logo, even for small amounts. However, I did find one ATM where it does work ... this ATM had a few Visa logos, including a "Visa Plus" logo. Here I could withdraw even large amounts. 

In general, I have my doubts about the claim "accepted wherever the Visa logo is shown".

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Advertisement