Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheat Free Food

Options
  • 12-12-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've just been diagnosed with a wheat intolerance, and i was just wondering if people knew of the best/easiest places to buy wheat free items in Waterford? Or even restaurants etc that they would recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Gluten free group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/128169484037250/?fref=ts

Superquinn and supervalue (hypercenter) have a great selection!
    Full of beans in georges court are great as well..

All is not lost, i was very overwhelmed when i was diagnosed, thought i coudlnt eat anything.. but i just eat a little healthier!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

0rt wrote: »
    Gluten free group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/128169484037250/?fref=ts

Superquinn and supervalue (hypercenter) have a great selection!
    Full of beans in georges court are great as well..

All is not lost, i was very overwhelmed when i was diagnosed, thought i coudlnt eat anything.. but i just eat a little healthier!

Thanks 0rt, I can start in those places so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Tesco ardkeen is pretty good , the Italian bistro place Parnell street can do you gluten free pizza and gluten free pasta dishes if eating out . You'd be surprised how many restaurants will look after you , just ask . If you like crisps kettle crisps are gluten free and lovely .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Go into either of the full of beans shops (georges court or ardkeen) and talk to the staff in there. They'll bend over backwards to help and answer any questions.
    Can't recommend them highly enough.

decies wrote: »
    Tesco ardkeen is pretty good , the Italian bistro place Parnell street can do you gluten free pizza and gluten free pasta dishes if eating out . You'd be surprised how many restaurants will look after you , just ask . If you like crisps kettle crisps are gluten free and lovely .
    kuang1 wrote: »
    Go into either of the full of beans shops (georges court or ardkeen) and talk to the staff in there. They'll bend over backwards to help and answer any questions.
    Can't recommend them highly enough.

Thanks guys, its nice to know I'm not alone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Aldi do a wheat free bread which might also be Gluten Free, or if not have it separately for €1.99

They also have Gluten Free & Wheat free 4 pack mince pies.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Aldi do a wheat free bread which might also be Gluten Free, or if not have it separately for €1.99

They also have Gluten Free & Wheat free 4 pack mince pies.

That's fantastic, thanks for that danjo-xx!

small shops generally have nothing much, but londis up by the cleaboy has gluten free sausages, cereal, bread, biscuits etc..

0rt wrote: »
    small shops generally have nothing much, but londis up by the cleaboy has gluten free sausages, cereal, bread, biscuits etc..

Gluten free sausages?! Excellent!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Clonakility do very good gluten sausages they are in tesco and other supermarkets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 EdgarFriendly

Just buy gluten-free food, as it will be automatically wheat-free. (Gluten = Wheat, Rye or Barley). I've been on a gluten-free diet for 8 years. Thankfully, the range of products has increased greatly over the past few years.

Tesco Ardkeen has a huge selection in the free-from section. Espresso on Parnell street do gluten free pasta and pizza for eating out. Dunnes in City Square and Tesco do frozen gluten-free pizza. The ones in Dunnes are nicer, as they have pepperoni. Base feels more authentic too. If you're a pizza fan like me though, just buy the GF bases - and make your own. Your money will go much further!

Stay away from porridge. While oats do not contain gluten, they are often contaminated by gluten. So if you're into porridge, buy gluten-free oats.

You might initially find it restrictive, but after a few months into the swing of it - you'll be fine.

As for alcohol - Bulmers Cider, and clear spirits (vodka, bicardi) are ok. Stay away from beer/ale/lager/stout. You can buy GF beers in Tescos, but they can be expensive.

Anymore questions - Just ask. I know everything there is to know about living in Waterford and being gluten-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 EdgarFriendly

Also - +1 on clonakilty GF sausages. They are gorgeous. :)

The book center has a few books on it as well... very informative!
    Gluten by my rule is in anything thats nice :D so get reading labels and you will soon find what you can and cant have! its even in soyasauce!

Thanks all, really appreciate all your help and advice :)

I'm sure it will get a lot easier, just all a bit daunting at the moment getting used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Aldi in the glen have these in their GF section. Puddin is €4.99 same size in tesco is €9.99

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You do not necessarily need gluten free if you are wheat intolerant. It is the easiest way to sort it, granted, but you can eat oats, barley etc. Soy sauce (containing monosodium glutamate) does not contain gluten, but it may contain wheat. Dealing with wheat intolerance also depends on the degree of intolerance (and who has diagnosed it, and how). If it is a medical diagnosis, then go with the advice given. If it is one of the alternative clinic type diagnoses then just experiment.

Not eating wheat may well improve your well-being and your gut health. If it does then fine, stay off wheat. It may also not be very significant and you could eat, for example, spelt, which is an early and non-modified form of wheat which does not have many of the negative effects of modern wheat. Go off wheat completely (read food labels) for a while, then after maybe a month of no wheat, see how you feel. Add a small amount of wheat to your diet and see how you react, you will then have a better idea of how you should proceed.

There are lots of ways of eating wheat free, try and eat alternative foods rather than looking for wheat substitutes. Food intolerance is not usually a big drama, its just a matter of feeling better without specific foods.

Advertisement