Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong price in supermarket

Options
  • 12-12-2013 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

A friend bought something in a supermarket priced on shelf at 5 euro half price. At till it scanned 10 euro. Someone apparently moved the price or the product.

They gave it for 5 but I understand they need not have. What is the legal situation, as a curiosity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Spiritiser wrote: »
    A friend bought something in a supermarket priced on shelf at 5 euro half price. At till it scanned 10 euro. Someone apparently moved the price or the product.

They gave it for 5 but I understand they need not have. What is the legal situation, as a curiosity

http://www.translegal.com/exercise/7073

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

As a matter of practicality retail prices can't be considered offers. If they were every time you put something in your basket, you would have accepted the offer made by the shop, and wouldn't be able to put it back.

See Generally: Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots Cash Chemists (Southern) Ltd [1953] 1 QB 401

The situation if, of course, more nuanced dependent on the facts, but essentially a shop does not have to give you products for the displayed price. They may fall foul of other pieces of legislation but not in the case of a genuine mistake, or moving of prices. For the party that has moved the pricing label, this can amount to a criminal offence.

I only go into this much detail as you asked for the legal position. The post above this gives you a more than adequate short answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What is the legal situation, as a curiosity
    This should be obvious, especially as you actually described a situation that I have used before to show why its obvious.

i.e. your friend get a 2nd person to move or put their own price up for €2 for a €5000 TV. So even if its on CCTV your friend is in the clear as it was not him doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

rubadub wrote: »
    This should be obvious, especially as you actually described a situation that I have used before to show why its obvious.
    you think i read everything you write?
    i.e. your friend get a 2nd person to move or put their own price up for €2 for a €5000 TV. So even if its on CCTV your friend is in the clear as it was not him doing it.
    Don't know about you and your friend we do not do that

you think i read everything you write?
    Eh no:rolleyes:,

but you wrote something similar to what I had written previously, so in effect you had read my reasoning before but still not copped it. When I did described it before most immediately cop on why it obivously could not be law.

No shop would be in business long, just think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

rubadub wrote: »
    Eh no:rolleyes:,

but you wrote something similar to what I had written previously, so in effect you had read my reasoning before but still not copped it. When I did described it before most immediately cop on why it obivously could not be law.

No shop would be in business long, just think about it.
    don't talk crap :rolleyes: you do not know what i read. You think because someone asks a similar question they have read you. Anyway I am ignoring any further in piut from you, you think i read you LOL

you do not know what i read.

Oh dear, I think it is safe to presume you read this
    Someone apparently moved the price or the product.

It should be blindingly obvious why it could not be a law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

don't talk crap :rolleyes: you do not know what i read. You think because someone asks a similar question they have read you. Anyway I am ignoring any further in piut from you, you think i read you LOL

The answer was quite clearly given. You "read", as in perceived, his reasoning in your own conclusion that someone changed the price tag.

College questions are not always difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Enough of the handbags. Closing this thread

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement