Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reasons to buy an apple tv?

• 12-12-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

i like them, what are the best things they offer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

xbmc!!!!! so be on the look out 4 apple tv 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

whats this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

google is your friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Something tells me you'll get more answers telling you why NOT to buy the apple tv box. I was looking at them recently too for streaming movies over my network. But after a little research they are very limited in what they can do. They're fine for streaming from Netflix and the iTunes store so if that's your goal, then go ahead and buy one.

But I have all my movies in various formats on my pc so I was told to get something more like the Western Digital Tv box! Haven't made the jump yet so can't comment on the result but I do know that Apple boxes are quiet restricted in what they can play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

The unjailbroken Apple TV is frustratingly limited to Netflix, YouTube and iTunes content and a few other smaller streaming services.

However it's key redeeming feature and the only reason that I still use it for is Airplay. This lets you send content from your iPad/iPhone to the TV very easily. It's very handy for RTE player and many other streaming services. I use the Plex app on my iPad to access my media library on my PC and play on the TV via the Apple TV.

You could potentially do the same thing with a chromecast, however it is no where near as well supported in apps as Airplay, and if you have IOS devices it works very seamlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Armonline wrote: »
    The unjailbroken Apple TV is frustratingly limited to Netflix, YouTube and iTunes content and a few other smaller streaming services.

However it's key redeeming feature and the only reason that I still use it for is Airplay. This lets you send content from your iPad/iPhone to the TV very easily. It's very handy for RTE player and many other streaming services. I use the Plex app on my iPad to access my media library on my PC and play on the TV via the Apple TV.

this. (although I haven't yet used plex. I didn't realise there was an ios app for it)

the fact that they are so portable means you can bring it with you on holidays.

music streaming

webpage mirroring. wait till you see boards* on your big screen tv.

or whatever website you happen to visit when you've got the house to yourself. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Airplay and netflix are the two main reasons i use my ATV. used to have it jailbroken and streamed a lot but got fed up of having to play cat and mouse with some of XBMC's add ons getting shut down and whatnot. the choice was great but the navigation pissed me off sometimes. Then i got a macbook pro and could mirror (and now on OSX mavericks, extend) my desktop.

Now anything i download i mirror through itunes, there are a lot more mp4's out there than there used to be. any that aren't i just run through handbrake and have them converted in minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I have ATV and a Roku LT. ROKU is great but only because of Plex and ATV is great only because of Airplay. Add-on channels for both are irrelevant IMO. Until somebody creates a box that can do both your choice should be based on Plex V Airplay. Research them both and decide. ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Now anything i download i mirror through itunes, there are a lot more mp4's out there than there used to be. any that aren't i just run through handbrake and have them converted in minutes.

Can you explain what you mean by mirror through iTunes? :) I take it handbrake is some sort of converter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

It's worth checking out the PlexConnect hack for the ATV3. Basically, you hijack the Trailers app on the ATV and it serves up Plex instead. No jail breaking necessary. You just need to be comfortable enough tech-wise to run some python scripts.

https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect

I have it all running at home and it makes the ATV a brilliant device. Plex, Airplay and Netflix all on one box. It also has a high WAF rating ;)

P.S. Don't go anywhere near plexconnect.org as that's a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Apple TV 2 is going for €340 on ebay loaded up with all the extra software last time i checked.

I have an ATV3 myself and while airplay is a good feature ATV3 or any ATV thats not jailbroken is massively limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Is it possible to airplay from an iphone to a MBA, and connect the MBA to tv via hdmi, eliminating the need for an apple tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Is it possible to airplay from an iphone to a MBA, and connect the MBA to tv via hdmi, eliminating the need for an apple tv?
    doubtful, buy the apple tv and you can airplay both to the apple tv. eliminating the need for a hdmi cable/display port adapter.

doubtful, buy the apple tv and you can airplay both to the apple tv. eliminating the need for a hdmi cable/display port adapter.

Yeah I think I will thanks, but what about the new apple tv, any news on that yet?

Ideally it would be great if the next thunderbolt had built in airplay

Yeah I think I will thanks, but what about the new apple tv, any news on that yet?

Ideally it would be great if the next thunderbolt had built in airplay

i think there'll be a new apple tv Q1 of 2014, but it will be a spec bump, game controller/game support if anything.

i really don't think apple are going to do a Apple TV tv (a all in one display/set top box).

what do you mean the next thunderbolt had built in airplay? MacBooks have airplay in them, and you can airplay video/audio to any airplay enabled device.

i think there'll be a new apple tv Q1 of 2014, but it will be a spec bump, game controller/game support if anything.

i really don't think apple are going to do a Apple TV tv (a all in one display/set top box).

what do you mean the next thunderbolt had built in airplay? MacBooks have airplay in them, and you can airplay video/audio to any airplay enabled device.

I'd like to be able to airplay from my mac/iphone to a thunderbolt display without connecting them, hopefully the next display will be able to do it.

ah i get you. that'd be nice but would require a wifi module in the display, not sure they'd do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

The screen size limitations for mirroring is very annoying.

Can you explain what you mean by mirror through iTunes? :) I take it handbrake is some sort of converter?

Anything thats in your itunes library can be streamed through your apple tv to your telly. for that to happen it needs to be in an itunes friendly format (aac/mp3/mp4). handbrake is a video conversion tool that does my conversion for me. based on your spec your results may vary but i can convert a 720p movie to mp4 in about 5-10 mins.

If you own a mac running mountain lion you can mirror your entire desktop too, thus turning your telly into a monitor. up to recently it was just a copy of your laptop screen but with the advent of osx mavericks you can extend your desktop too (laptop has one desktop, telly has a different one)

Example: (pay no attention to him saying you need a 1080p tv, my tv is 720p and is fine)

Don't really need handbrake to watch any format videos on a mac or iPad, just us the free VLC app, it plays any format of video no problem.

Only reason to use handbrake is to shrink a large video file down to a lower size

• Advertisement

Don't really need handbrake to watch any format videos on a mac or iPad, just us the free VLC app, it plays any format of video no problem.

Only reason to use handbrake is to shrink a large video file down to a lower size

Yes, thats true but you do need handbrake if you want to convert to mp4 to stream through itunes via the apple tv.

If you simply mirror VLC via airplay mirroring on the mac the sound is likely to come out of your mac speakers rather than the tv, and is not proper fullscreen, which is annoying.

VLC runs fine over Airplay fom a mac. Sound is sent to TV speakers and video is fullscreen

Same with VLC on iPad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you have a DNLA device, as many android and Smart TVs are, that allows you to play share content between devices.

Which is an alternative to the Apple TV.

VLC runs fine over Airplay fom a mac. Sound is sent to TV speakers and video is fullscreen

Same with VLC on iPad

It wasnt the last time i tried, which in fairness has been a while since i stream everything in itunes.

Works fine now, and if you have OSX Mavericks you can use the Apple TV as a additional desktop and work with desperate content on your TV or Mac screens.

and if you have OSX Mavericks you can use the Apple TV as a additional desktop and work with desperate content on your TV or Mac screens.

I already mentioned that......twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭joostl

Anything thats in your itunes library can be streamed through your apple tv to your telly. for that to happen it needs to be in an itunes friendly format (aac/mp3/mp4). handbrake is a video conversion tool that does my conversion for me. based on your spec your results may vary but i can convert a 720p movie to mp4 in about 5-10 mins.

If you own a mac running mountain lion you can mirror your entire desktop too, thus turning your telly into a monitor. up to recently it was just a copy of your laptop screen but with the advent of osx mavericks you can extend your desktop too (laptop has one desktop, telly has a different one)

Example: (pay no attention to him saying you need a 1080p tv, my tv is 720p and is fine)

download the Iflicks app, it is alot faster then handbrake as it only modifies the file into a mp4 without converting it. (takes seconds vs minutes)

joostl wrote: »
    download the Iflicks app, it is alot faster then handbrake as it only modifies the file into a mp4 without converting it. (takes seconds vs minutes)

sweet, i'll give it a go. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Spotify, now that its free on ios, works with airplay as well, so if you have your ATV connected to your hifi its another plus for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Would I be correct is saying that this only works onnewer macs?

Advertisement