Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITU World Triathlon Series 2014: Auckland April 5/6

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

bopperr wrote: »
    what is going on with the Brownlees? Serious enough drop off in form compared to last year. The form of the two spanish guys would be questionable if it wasn't for Murray also giving the brits a beating.

This was the first race this year where Mola & Murray had a chance on the run so I think its more important than ever to have a good swim. I would say this race will be in the minority of races this season where there is not a medium sized lead pack of men hitting T2 alone.
    Probably down to training for Abu Dhabi? Focus off ITU for a period? Both will be selected for Commonwealth no matter what. World Series Champ is clearly not a priority. Bet they will still factor in London. If off form is still running 30+ off the bike....!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I see it this way brownlies pushed the level up than maybe thought they are better than the rest henceforth Ali thinking to run 10k at the imperial games to challenge himself(and getting injured)While Gomes mola and Murray worked very hard. Also Ali will be back. For Johnny I guess he needs to think does he really want it. As I think Murray and mola are more focused right now they left their comfort zone and pushing each other in training like the brownlies did
    Probably down to training for Abu Dhabi? Focus off ITU for a period? Both will be selected for Commonwealth no matter what. World Series Champ is clearly not a priority. Bet they will still factor in London. If off form is still running 30+ off the bike....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

bopperr wrote: »
    what is going on with the Brownlees? Serious enough drop off in form compared to last year. The form of the two spanish guys would be questionable if it wasn't for Murray also giving the brits a beating.

This was the first race this year where Mola & Murray had a chance on the run so I think its more important than ever to have a good swim. I would say this race will be in the minority of races this season where there is not a medium sized lead pack of men hitting T2 alone.

Alistair-coming back from injury
    Jonny- one "bad" race. He was never one who was guaranteed to beat Gomez.

The running times are dropping in general as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Alistair-coming back from injury
    Jonny- one "bad" race. He was never one who was guaranteed to beat Gomez.

The running times are dropping in general as well.

Gomez has whipped JB in every race. Years since that was the case.

Ali can be forgiven I guess but any previous comeback he made wasn't this bad (and he did put off his comeback quoting he didn't want to come back until he was 100%)

Surely becoming world champion should be a bigger priority than the commonwealth games?

Abu Dhabi was just a training session.

In terms of the women's race - Jorgensen has the potential to dominate for years to come. Her run is on a different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

bbc interviewer asked alastair which would he prefer commonwealth gold or world title and he said commonwealth ..

• Advertisement

woody1 wrote: »
    bbc interviewer asked alastair which would he prefer commonwealth gold or world title and he said commonwealth ..

That was after the race!!! World is long gone for him now!

interview i saw was shown before the yokohama race highlights shown on bbc 2 on sunday .., he was sitting in some pub in england at the time..definitely not in japan :D..
    they also did an interview with aileen reid on the same program

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

woody1 wrote: »
    Should be a walk in the park for the Brownlee's really. Imagine a ITU race without the Spaniards. Few Aussies have half a chance, maybe Richard Murray. Can't imagine much competition for them in Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Apologies for the delay in getting to this, I wish I could say it was training but alas, work mad :(

But we have a new leader, Woody1 takes top spot from Pmadlini, but 10 points.
    with Booper a further 165 points back

the rest of us a playing catch up

as usual please check my maths to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Only got to see this last night - I would say from now on we will be seeing the swim being taken out super hard with all kinds of xmas prezzies being promised Varga.

I would expect normalcy will be restored soon, more non wetsuit swims and the usual big 3 will push harder on the bike to keep the gap. Gomez let alone the two Brownlees wont want Mola and Murray breathing down his neck again

Who would have thought Tom Danielson would have such an impact in triathlon. Seeing only highlights how does Danielson race - has he tried a quick sprint to get away from his drafting entourage and then go after the leaders or is it just relentless tempo and gradually reel them in with the Tom Danielson train behind him.

Gwen Jorgenson is practically unbeatable if she doesn't mess up the bike, her swimming has come on in leaps and bounds. I am delighted little Ai Ueda got a podium spot - biggest smile in triathlon

• Advertisement

but wouldnt more non wetsuit swims leave jorgensen worse off..
    based on my very basic maths i thought i was still second.. not complaining mind.. now to have a look at whos racing in england..

Jorgensen's swim is grand. Its her bike skills letting her down. Non Stanford appears the only women that could stop her dominating for years I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The bike is becoming less and less important in these races IMO.

Getting out of the water in the lead group is key, draft through the bike, then bust a gut on the run (if ya can go sub-30 you'll likely podium).

The alternative, out of the water in the second group, even if you're the world TT champion on the bike might get ya back to group one, but you'll be wreaked for the run and likely fade.

The only race I've seen it matter in the past few years was Stockholm last year where one of the Brownlee opened a 15 second lead on the last bike leg and managed to keep it through the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

London this weekend

A good swim bike break might hold off the top runners

Expecting a break in the women's bike at least

well shag that !.. took murray out and put harris in.. that didnt work out too well , on the plus side jorgensen won again, and jenkins did well..

baring the olympics that was the best mens race I have seen. Group of 8 or so men going at it in the run was quality. Another 2 sprints left in the season. Spanish 1-2 looking odds on in the outright.

yeah, had it recorded and watched the whole race yesterday, normally highlights is enough for me but such a close race you could watch the whole thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The BBC interviewer after was very annoying, kept harping on about a change in the regime to the Brownlees, same question for Gomez who was waiting behind them. A bit premature considering that was the first ITU race Gomez has been beaten in 2014 and it was a sprint.

Better from the Brownlees, a nice 4 week break and I expect Alistair will be humming come Chigago

On a plus point I thought some of the camera work was very good, the section with Alistair taking off like a train at the start of the bike was very well done.

Cake walk for Jorgenson, they need someone to crash into her on the bike to have any chance

ITU Dublin next year I hear ;)

bump.. better late than never.. forgot all about this for chicago, as i guess a lot of us did .. hamburg in 11 days..

had only 2 out of 6 in hamburg, jorgensen and jenkins, none of the rest were racing , i imagine with commonwealths on soon ?

I made changes before the last race. Presume I am not ok to change these again for Hamburg this weekend until scores have been updated.

Hamburg mens race should be brilliant.

• Advertisement

All please forgive me work is mad and I havent had the time to do the table.
    I will do it tonight so you can all make changes tomorrow for Hamburg

again sorry.

Results are in
    We have an new leader,

Bopperr 8770
    woody1 8335
    MrCreosote 8270
    Shedite27 8105
    Catweazle 7905
    Pmaldini 6485
    shotgunmcos 6680
    EC1000 6385
    BennyMul 5610
    Trig1 5460
    Solobally8 5720
    johnk123 4715
    topcat77 2530

please check my math :D and any changes for Hamburg.

this is going to be a cracker. No Varga to hammer the swim. I still think there will be a split on the bike. Prediction is AliB, JGomez and JonB in that order.

Womens race is a bit more straight forward. The british & Aussie girls will have to hammer the swim and hope Jorgensen gets dropped otherwise its goodnight.

bump, is this a dead duck?

hopefully not

Advertisement