Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mineral dose.

Options
  • 12-12-2013 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Evening all.

Do any of ye mineral dose pregnant ewes, I gave them a cobalt dose before going to the ram and they seemed to improve. It does wonders for the lambs here, but as regards the ewes I'm hoping they are all pregnant at this stage, should I leave well enough alone. Will be taking the rams out tomorrow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Gave mine a cobalt bolus and will leave out a bucket for good measure.

http://nutribio.ie/nutrition-product/nutribio-sheep-20kg/

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eire23

All the ewes got cobalt going to the ram and think ill give them another dose when im housing them. Cant do them any harm id say.

Do give the mountain ewes buckets as well but i do wonder if there severe on their teeth, do see them biting at it but maybe its no harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

Gave mine a cobalt bolus and will leave out a bucket for good measure.

http://nutribio.ie/nutrition-product/nutribio-sheep-20kg/

Was considering the bolus earlier in the year alright, feckin sorry now!

How much a bucket do you pay and how long does it last. I used Crystalyx buckets last year and thought they were good except the ewes tore through them like sweeties. Was paying about 42 quid for a 40kg bucket. The bag of nuts would have been cheaper:eek:

eire23 wrote: »
    All the ewes got cobalt going to the ram and think ill give them another dose when im housing them. Cant do them any harm id say.

Do give the mountain ewes buckets as well but i do wonder if there severe on their teeth, do see them biting at it but maybe its no harm?

Yeah I agree with you there, have seen ewes gnawing at the licks lifting the bucket to break off bits. But in saying that tis handy to throw out a few buckets and let them at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

foxylock wrote: »
    Was considering the bolus earlier in the year alright, feckin sorry now!

How much a bucket do you pay and how long does it last. I used Crystalyx buckets last year and thought they were good except the ewes tore through them like sweeties. Was paying about 42 quid for a 40kg bucket. The bag of nuts would have been cheaper:eek:

After finding a fair few bolus regurgitated around the place I am still not convinced by them. Given I have a hill farm regular dosing just isn't an option really.

I was going to try Crystalyx but after hearing that I won't bother.

I think those mineral buckets are €17.50 locally. Nutribios red High Energy bucket is a joke though, a small number of ewes used to them will finish a bucket in a day or two @ €22 a bucket I think. I use them during tipping but am going to wean myself off them.

I find the mineral buckets good in fairness. They last a good while too. Competitors will tell you that's a bad point, that the sheep aren't getting enough. But, licks that disappear over night are no f*cking use either as they eat a hole in the pocket.

• Advertisement

After finding a fair few bolus regurgitated around the place I am still not convinced by them. Given I have a hill farm regular dosing just isn't an option really.

I think those mineral buckets are €17.50 locally. Nutribios red High Energy bucket is a joke though, a small number of ewes used to them will finish a bucket in a day or two @ €22 a bucket I think. I use them during tipping but am going to wean myself off them.

I find the mineral buckets good in fairness. They last a good while too. Competitors will tell you that's a bad point, that the sheep aren't getting enough. But, licks that disappear over night are no f*cking use either as they eat a hole in the pocket.

Yeah I had no grass at lambing last year and spent a fortune on licks, I think I started the divils on them a bit too early too so had to keep going then still no grass and drawing buckets by the new time. Will be a bit more cautious this year...... and mean!:D

Have a lot of lads calling at the moment pushing these buckets but they can't tell me exactly whats in them yet they expect the cheque book to come out. Mostly molasses in the cheaper ones I reckon, fairly fed up of the hoors now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Would of used the red high energy, & the hi-mag which is all local store had, are these of any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

I've been dosing every 2-3 months with cobalt, just about a 40ml drench or so, started using b12 last year and it seems to be a big difference, ya only give them about 10ml of that stuff though so the 2.5 litres lasts forever.

However i spoke to my vet 2 weeks ago and she told me a cobalt drench is a waste of time and money, she says the maximum time length it will stay in a sheeps system is about two weeks (max!!!!!)

She was encouraging me to go for the boluses, as these are slow relase, i'll try these out a month before lambing i'd say.

Just thought it might be of interest to ye all

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmonman

docmartin wrote: »
    I've been dosing every 2-3 months with cobalt, just about a 40ml drench or so, started using b12 last year and it seems to be a big difference, ya only give them about 10ml of that stuff though so the 2.5 litres lasts forever.

However i spoke to my vet 2 weeks ago and she told me a cobalt drench is a waste of time and money, she says the maximum time length it will stay in a sheeps system is about two weeks (max!!!!!)

She was encouraging me to go for the boluses, as these are slow relase, i'll try these out a month before lambing i'd say.

Just thought it might be of interest to ye all

I give ewes cobalt & selenium & iodine bolus around 2 months before lambing.
    Lambs also benefit from it through the milk.Used to have a problem with scour in lambs but nothing since I started using bolus

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

Salmonman wrote: »
    I give ewes cobalt & selenium & iodine bolus around 2 months before lambing.
    Lambs also benefit from it through the milk.Used to have a problem with scour in lambs but nothing since I started using bolus

Is that all in the one bolus or three separate boluses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

I use animax 1 to 2 mths before lambing and I believe it helps the vigour of the ewes and the lambs, I give cobalt/copper/selenium/iodine and it involves giving three boluses and the cobalt comes to the lamb in the milk. You can put the three boluses in the gun at the one dose

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmonman

2 bolus
    1 cobalt& 1 selenium,iodine

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

I use the green Buckets that have Sheep written across them. They're about €17. The sheep seem to love it and they last a long time.
    I make sure they have them before tipping and lambing
    I don't know what good they do but they can't be doing any harm.
    Well worth it at that price i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭derferjam

foxylock wrote: »
    Evening all.

Do any of ye mineral dose pregnant ewes, I gave them a cobalt dose before going to the ram and they seemed to improve. It does wonders for the lambs here, but as regards the ewes I'm hoping they are all pregnant at this stage, should I leave well enough alone. Will be taking the rams out tomorrow.

Leave out mineral lick buckets along sheep trail/path and those that want/need it will use bucket.

Advertisement