Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 volts DC to power USB Device

Options
  • 12-12-2013 11:23pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for ideas for a kit for a new system we are testing.
    Anyone know where I would get something to step down 12volts dc to power a USB device .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

A car USB charger would do that. Some of these can supply up to 1amp.

The likes of maplin have cigaret lighter sockets on a flying lead you can use to power these...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its always the obvious ones that pass you by....Thanks.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Lol, simple is always best.

Places like Harvey Norman sell these off in bargain bins for less than a fiver. Even some spar shops sell them. Most are a little switcher, so quite efficient.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yeah, I'll dig up a couple and try them out ,.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

KoolKid wrote: »
    Looking for ideas for a kit for a new system we are testing.
    Anyone know where I would get something to step down 12volts dc to power a USB device .

what amp rating are you looking for, I have a number of these spare now from 500mA to 2.1 Amps.

• Advertisement

I also have a splitter that's cabled on to a loose socket, easy for connection, you can have it too

Very low power. It's to power a WiFi adapter in an alarm panel.

I also have a splitter that's cabled on to a loose socket, easy for connection, you can have it too

much appreciated, I'll give you a shout if I'm out that way during the week.

Advertisement