Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Mince pie filling

Options
  • 12-12-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend an alternative to mince pie for a Christmas bake , as much as I love mince pies this time of year I can't stand the acid indigestion that follows ( please tell me its not just me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Maybe little Bakewell tarts? I make some with mincemeat (for those that like it) and some with raspberry jam, yum!
    I don't really use a particular recipe, just some biscuit pastry and a frangipane (almond sponge) topping, can post recipe later if you like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Here's my Frangipane recipe - it's very easy, basically an almond madeira mixture.
    Beat 4 ounces of ground almonds, 4 ounces of sugar, 4 ounces of butter and 2 ounces of flour together until well combined, then add 2 eggs (1 at a time) and beat again til you have a smooth paste.
    Use to top mince pies or jam tarts - 1.5 to 2 teaspoons of mixture is more than enough.
    Bake for around 15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
    If you like you can decorate them with water icing - a few tablespoons of icing sugar mixed with just drops of water to make a fairly runny icing - just drizzle over the top and sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds.
    Yummy!
    I use biscuit pastry for mince pies and jam tarts as you can roll it very thin and it gets quite crisp, which contrasts well with the soft Frangipane topping. Here's the recipe I use: Bung 8 ounces of flour and 4 ounces of very cold butter or margarine into the processor with a pinch of salt; blitz til it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add 2 ounces of sugar and blitz again. Beat 2 eggs and add most of the beaten egg to the flour mixture; blitz again and add the rest of the egg if you need it, and a few drops of cold water if it's still too dry. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes or until needed. The pastry only needs a tiny amount of kneading, right before you roll it out. I roll it til it's so thin it's pretty much translucent.
    Enjoy!
    Edit: I just realised that the two recipes I posted don't correspond exactly in terms of quantities needed. You'll probably have way too much pastry, so you could either halve the quantity or store the remainder in the fridge for up to 5 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Thanks Dee_mc

Much appreciated look forward to trying the recipe

Advertisement