Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights of tenant?

Options
  • 13-12-2013 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Just wondering what the rights of the tenant are in first month of new tenancy, with 6 month lease, or in general, when number of issues surface:

Unpaid debt on gas heating from previous tenant/landlord. This meant that when I bought gas on the gas card it went to the previous debt and had a long time to wait, and hassle, to get credit reapplied to my own account

Washing machine leaking. Have been told by tenant (shop) downstairs that it happened not long before I moved in, and it has not been resolved. They sent a plumber to look at it but he couldn't fix it, he just looked at it and said there is a leak and to watch it next time we use it

Lights in room with dimmer lighting not working. Replaced bulb but seems like dimmer switch is broken.

The apartment is located a few doors down from a night club and being new to the town I had no idea that it is popular 7 nights a week. Noise levels are really bad and estate agency did not mention the night club, despite my asking about noise levels in general

Sofas are falling apart!

Tumble dryer also not working for any longer than 2 minutes at a time!

Have never rented a place before where everything is just broken, or just not sorted.

In this scenario, what are my rights here? The noise is the biggest problem by far but obviously the other issues are serious also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pog it wrote: »
    Unpaid debt on gas heating from previous tenant/landlord. This meant that when I bought gas on the gas card it went to the previous debt and had a long time to wait, and hassle, to get credit reapplied to my own account
    Can't really be of help, but next time, open a new account, and close it when you leave. Prevents this shish happening most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The washing machine, lights and dryer (assuming you have no means of drying the clothes outside) are issues which the landlord is legally obliged to sort in a timely fashion. If they fail in their obligations then you have the option of terminating the lease.

If the property was rented furnished then the sofa should be fit for purpose. For future referece however, do not sign a lease for a new tenancy while issues like this exist; its a lot harder to get issues sorted after the lease is signed.

The issue of the noise however may be on you; its really up to you to do your research and ensure that you know the area prior to moving in. You would have known that the night club existed when you viewed the property, so you should have expected a certain level of noise. Im not sure that you are going to have much joy with this one Im afraid.

If you want out of the tenancy early then you have the option of reassigning the lease. See here for more information: http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/assignment-and-subletting/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Thanks all. Handed back the keys today. Had already asked a week ago if they had another property to offer me and they didn't make any move on that for me, so I went in and told them the situation is totally unacceptable and I'm not putting up with all of these unresolved issues.

Seems to be an agency that only cares abut their house owner clients and not their tenants.

To be honest, I've always had a better experience dealing with landlords directly than agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Just so youre aware, by handing back the keys and not issuing notice in the proper manner there is a good chance you are forfeiting a sizable chunk of your deposit, to cover the shortfall in rent until the place is relet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Just wondering, in the apartment was the actual light broken or did it just not dim?

• Advertisement
Advertisement