Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Cutra Castle :Euro and World Champs qualifier for 2015

Options
  • 13-12-2013 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

For a race that only started in 2012 it seems to have the connections .
    NS this year , qualifiers next year .
    I am sure TI could have looked to some of the 60 odd clubs in the country to host it .
    From press release:
    "Lough Cutra Castle Triathlon in Gort, Co. Galway has just been announced as a qualification race for the ETU European Triathlon Championships and ITU World Triathlon Championships, 2015 in both Olympic and Sprint distances. This is a srong endorsement of the event by Triathlon Ireland,following on the announcement of the Olympic distance as a National Series race."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

They seem to have connections alright but in this case does it really mean anything? If you're willing to pay the money you'll get a place at ITU / ETU races irrespective of 'qualifying' race position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Been chatting to a few people over the past week and a concensus seems to be that the club races are pretty much at capacity and have been in terms of managing numbers for a few years. Its likely that TI see the commercial races as having more capability for expansion in numbers.

Interesting development.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »
    Been chatting to a few people over the past week and a concensus seems to be that the club races are pretty much at capacity and have been in terms of managing numbers for a few years. Its likely that TI see the commercial races as having more capability for expansion in numbers.

Interesting development.

Once you start looking at 1000+ people why would a club go to that hassle as its a huge increase in work and in reality 700 of those 1000 are going to be one hit wonders.

Also lets be honest the only thing more pointless than the NS is the ITU and ETU age group competitions.

tunney wrote: »
    Once you start looking at 1000+ people why would a club go to that hassle as its a huge increase in work and in reality 700 of those 1000 are going to be one hit wonders.

Makes sense when you look at TriAthlone & TriAthy for example, huge numbers big infrastructure and management needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I would agree at the selction procedure ( but those people finance the elite race) but the Itu age group worlds are usually highly competetive till place 30th or so before the tri tourists with their cervelo p5 start to show up

Also lets be honest the only thing more pointless than the NS is the ITU and ETU age group competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

While the NS rankings are pointless as the system can be fiddled I dont see the NS races that way.

1. You always get a higher quality field at them
    2. You race the same people at the majority of them and there are races within races. He beat me in kilkee but i got him in Dublin City
    3. The rankings although pointless do have some truth to them up to a point.The give a ballbark benchmark of were your training is at.
    4. I like racing the circuit in Ireland and the NS defines were the circuit is going to be this coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Hi guys,

Is Lough Cultra Castle Triathlon (May) still a qualifier for the 2015 Euro and World's (sprint and standard)? Somebody mentioned recently that it's no longer the case; although I can't find anywhere that confirms this. Here is the only mention of it I can find:

http://www.loughcutra.com/index.php?mact=News%2Ccntnt01%2Cdetail%2C0&cntnt01articleid=10&cntnt01origid=60&cntnt01returnid=76

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

lizanne83 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Is Lough Cultra Castle Triathlon (May) still a qualifier for the 2015 Euro and World's (sprint and standard)? Somebody mentioned recently that it's no longer the case; although I can't find anywhere that confirms this. Here is the only mention of it I can find:
    ?
    http://www.loughcutra.com/index.php?mact=News%2Ccntnt01%2Cdetail%2C0&cntnt01articleid=10&cntnt01origid=60&cntnt01returnid=76

Thanks! :)

Hi,
    It is for the Olympic but no longer for the sprint. There was an announcement up on tri Ireland little while back. Something to do with the distances not being suited 400/20/4

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Has anyone doing this booked accommodation / has anyone got accommodation recommendations for the area?

Has anyone doing this booked accommodation / has anyone got accommodation recommendations for the area?

Yup got mine sorted <looks at the culchies from da west>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Ur not too far from Galway (city)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

was trying to convince a certain shopkeeper of the shoes on Saturday to forget this wild notion of doing the half(even more swim training required) and drop down to the olympic for a proper grudge match with all here that are doing it. his story remains he is doing the half though

this is one of those nice races i can sleep in my own bed for. in fact my race calendar has a huge nod to letting me sleep in my own bed..:)

i hope you are sorted or that is an intersting way of asking:). At least get the room before the mickey taking starts!!

You not parking the caravan with JB at my place?

Rules me out. :cool:

Looks at the real culchies -->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Lady Gregory Hotel is decent (from memory, attended a wedding there), has a pool etc, and is close to the race start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mathdub

Hi Guys,

is anyone going to come from Dublin for the race?
    I am looking to split car rental costs for the weekend with someone else, and share good company for the drive.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Was looking at doing the Middle Distance but 160 euro is it bit much loking at theOlympic tri

Was looking at doing the Middle Distance but 160 euro is it bit much loking at theOlympic tri

Niamh, its's €120 for individual entry and 20% off until Friday. I was just speaking with the organisers this morning about the discount scheme. You have to enter through the link on the www.loughcutra.ie otherwise you are paying Sterling converted to Euro.

Yes, for once things are cheaper in Ireland than in the UK!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

It's a pity someone is dodging doing the OLY in fear of letting down the West :)

It's a pity someone is dodging doing the OLY in fear of letting down the West :)

Well the olympic will get cancelled on the bike course due to a competitor drowning.

The shape I'm in right now I'd do well to finish the Sprint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

He's a blow in. No way we'd let him represent us :pac: :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    He's a blow in. No way we'd let him represent us :pac: :D

You could do with someone on the team that can swim straight lines :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well the olympic will get cancelled on the bike course due to a competitor drowning.

Even with no swimming you should still finish behind me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You could do with someone on the team that can swim straight lines :p

You volunteering Mrs AKW? I don't think you remember what a pool is ;) :pac:

Niamh, its's €120 for individual entry and 20% off until Friday. I was just speaking with the organisers this morning about the discount scheme. You have to enter through the link on the www.loughcutra.ie otherwise you are paying Sterling converted to Euro.

Yes, for once things are cheaper in Ireland than in the UK!!!

I'm not paid on till after the 7th of Mar, so i don't see the point in paying 160 euro, and then having to pay for my trip and my say over the weekend.

i don't know what to do, even with the Olympic @ 76 euros after 7 Mar. seen abit dear

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Strange distances for the mini-sprint/maxi-sprint

I'm not paid on till after the 7th of Mar, so i don't see the point in paying 160 euro, and then having to pay for my trip and my say over the weekend.

i don't know what to do, even with the Olympic @ 76 euros after 7 Mar. seen abit dear

Seems a little bit of confusion, the middle distance race is €120 euro entry. The €160 applies to a relay team so that cost split three ways.

If you can enter before the 7th you pay 20% less on all the entries.

Are you going solo or as a relay?

Seems a little bit of confusion, the middle distance race is €120 euro entry. The €160 applies to a relay team so that cost split three ways.

If you can enter before the 7th you pay 20% less on all the entries.

Are you going solo or as a relay?

My apologies i was checking the Price on my Iphone, i now have checked them on my Laptop and now see the Individual / Relay

Silly me..

next question will i be ready.... for the Middle distance, i could do it and suffer big time. and not enjoying it, my Training has being going well up to the point for the last 3 weeks i had things popping up, and had to skip a few Training days. still have yet to run over 16 km this session

next question will i be ready.... for the Middle distance, i could do it and suffer big time. and not enjoying it, my Training has being going well up to the point for the last 3 weeks i had things popping up, and had to skip a few Training days. still have yet to run over 16 km this session

I'm in the same boat re the training. But, if you're enjoying it and not suffering, you're doing it wrong anyway! :D

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat re the training. But, if you're enjoying it and not suffering, you're doing it wrong anyway! :D

I'm doing the UL pool Based Tri in April, so i see what way the legs hold up, after it. i might hold off and be better well trained before doing the Middle Distance in May, plus it be my Second Race of the Year,

Advertisement