Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy problems

• 13-12-2013 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

We started off on the wrong foot with our puppy and accidentally instilled some bad habits in her which we're now trying, and failing, to undo.

She originally slept (and settled without too much fuss) in the sitting room, but now she climbs on the furniture only when she thinks none of us are looking and selectively uses her puppy pad, we want her to sleep in a different room which we've only just managed to clear out for her use.

She's now yapping literally all night in this new room, much louder and more distressed than she was, to the point where we have to take her out because the neighbours complain.

I've tried the radio, I've tried a nightlight, I've tried a hot water bottle.

At the moment I'm thinking of putting her in there for two hours or so at a time during the middle of the day when she's less likely to disturb anyone. Has anyone had any experience with a problem like this and how did you resolve it?

Also, when we got her, she was somewhat toilet trained. She holds it in until one of us lets her out, but unfortunately, demonstrates no behaviour that indicates she might want to go out. She pees on her puppy pad but does not otherwise use it, and occasionally will pee on it and elsewhere when left alone at night. Letting her out is no problem but it's not an arrangement we want her to keep into adulthood, so do we need to go backward and train her to the pad? Do we need to wait until she needs to pee and lift her out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As per house training, I made the mistake with puppy pads too, they really are just a step backwards and will break your heart. You are much better off trying to get her to go where you want to her to. Take her out after food, drink, play and sleep, wait until she goes and then have a party, act like its the best thing you have ever seen. Also try using a trigger word, mine is toilet, take them out and say go toilet, you can use whatever word you want, when puppy is going to the toilet, repeat the word, eventually you will have a dog that will go nearly on command, it's very handy. You want to limit indoor accidents as much as possible, if you see her going pick her up and take her out, don't scold her but when she finishes outside then praise her. Depending on her age it might also be a good idea to get up during the night to take her out to limit night time accidents.

As for trying to get her in the room, it's all new to her, she was used to staying where she was and now everything has changed. You could try a frozen kong to keep her quiet, but then that might be detrimental to the whole toilet training thing. Maybe a nice chew toy or something like that might be better. You could also try crate training, I never really did it myself as my dog was an adult by the time we got our crate but it can be very helpful when it comes to toilet training and giving a dog their own den, their own space where they feel comfortable. And if done properly she will love it and you could move it literally anywhere and she will be happy. I'm sure someone else will be along and will be able to help you more on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Letting her out is no problem but it's not an arrangement we want her to keep into adulthood, so do we need to go backward and train her to the pad? Do we need to wait until she needs to pee and lift her out?

Posting in a hurry here so apologies if it looks like I'm bombarding you!
    Does that mean like letting her out at night or letting her out at all in that you want her to use the pads full time? Assuming you mean at night I think you need to start again and lose the pads and this would include taking her out at night. A young pup doesn't have bladder control to hold it all night - if you search back there's been a baby boom here the last few months so lots if threads on potty and crate/playpen training - I'm assuming you're treating the room for her as a giant crate! :p
    For inside what are you cleaning up accidents with? A solution of biological washing powder is best to break down the enzymes so they don't smell the wee anymore. I have a bell hanging by my back door for our pup to ring when she needs to go out.
    For moving her to the other room start slowly as in minutes not hours at a time. You'll read/hear that you need to leave her until she stops barking but like me you have neighbours so not an option to let it go on hours - I started by feeding my pup in her crate then in the mornings started leaving her with a treat while I got dressed (as fast as possible the first few days lol) - she did cry the first few days but after that got settled and will now open the crate when she wants to go to bed and loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Thanks for your replies!

I never thought of a frozen kong! I don't think it will keep her entertained (she's so distressed that she will completely ignore all the chew toys in favour of barking loudly) but it is a good idea I'll be using in the future for when she calms down. I'm thinking crate training more and more - I thought it was cruel at first but everyone I talk to about it sings its praises.

We let her out during the day and at night we left pads in there but I realise now it was indeed a step backward. I've been using diluted disinfectant for washing the floor but biological washing powder is great. I'll be using that in future (it probably won't smell so strongly or so artificial)

So the idea with the bell is that you rang it at first whenever you took her out so now she knows bell ringing = we're going out now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

So the idea with the bell is that you rang it at first whenever you took her out so now she knows bell ringing = we're going out now?

Yep that's pretty much it - she'd stand right by at it anway so I'd make her tip it with her nose and she got the hang of quickly enough. Now she rings it when she wants to go out! The washing powder solution really works and tbh not using it originally (we used floor wipes/dettol spray etc) is what slowed our training down! I used a crate but you can get puppy pens too. The crate was just easiest for us so that's what we used.

Advertisement