Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost Site

Options
  • 13-12-2013 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, looking to buy a ghost site in south east area. Has full planning for 600m2 (gulp) house on 2 + attic floor. Built to first floor level in concrete block cavity, huge ground floor area of 250m2 in place plus double garage to first floor level . Has been exposed to the elements for the last 5 years. Plans are for fancy mansion! Ballpark costs to finish to existing planning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

dublin2 wrote: »
    Hi, looking to buy a ghost site in south east area. Has full planning for 600m2 (gulp) house on 2 + attic floor. Built to first floor level in concrete block cavity, huge ground floor area of 250m2 in place plus double garage to first floor level . Has been exposed to the elements for the last 5 years. Plans are for fancy mansion! Ballpark costs to finish to existing planning?

Would probably need a bit more detail than that, when you mention a fancy mansion you could be talking huge money for the required finish.

Can you elaborate? is they upper floors in yet? I presume no plastering or services done yet?

What planning layout is upstairs? 3 bedrooms/bathrooms/en suites?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dublin2

Thx for the reply. So it is just foundations (huge as site slopes and floor level must be five foot above ground at the back of the house) and bare (insulation board attached to inner wall)cavity blockwork walls up to first floor levels, blockwork is 11-12 ft high to allow for tall ceilings and underfloor heating. Concrete staircase to first floor is in as is a columned balcony over front door area. The planned first floor concrete floor is not yet in place. Areas are ground floor 245m2, first 198m2 and dormer floor 155m2. First floor has four beds 2 ensuites and a bathroom, void area over family room south facing. Dormer floor has 2 beds ensuite and games area. Also 3m x 1m roof window at this level opening over first floor. Window openings are numerous and large (planning specifies light oak pvc windows which I do not like). I am worried that the windows could cost a fortune though. Gas, towns water, and sewage on site. Are the existing walls and foundations reusable? Could I finish it for €400k?

Would this need to be finished to new building regs? As I would need to make changes to meet the new regs and then I would have to reapply for planning permission which would add to costs etc. But I would want to build it to a BER A rating anyway.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,648 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

. But I would want to build it to a BER A rating anyway.

use the passive house principles as per PHPP and not the BER system.

The BER software is not specific enough for renovation works, whereas the PHPP is very specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

So all you have really is a shell at Ground level with Concrete stairs. now I would have to point out that price depends completly on layout, specification of finishes, end use, structural works etc etc.

Get a qs to visit you property and put a figure on it base on an indicative layout.

Also probably best speak with a local Architect as regards planning and regs.

Now if I was to throw a very rough guess at it, would most likely cost about €130 a sq/ft for a fairly high finish

So you total area is 598 sqm = 6437 sq ft which would cost you around €836,810

You have mentioned a mansion style house. I would however say in todays climate a LOT is achievable with a budget of 400k.

Dermot Bannon would love to meet you with that kind of budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

598m2=1962square feet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 dublin2

Thanks for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

598m2=1962square feet?

:eek::eek:

bare (insulation board attached to inner wall)cavity blockwork walls up to first floor levels,

But I would want to build it to a BER A rating anyway.

A BER rating of A will be meaningless if the inner leaf block wall hasn't been sealed (plastered) before the insulated slabs were fitted.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

Was replying to IrishLad2012 so he could edit.

Was replying to IrishLad2012 so he could edit.
    ah, right. That's explains the "?" so. :cool:

• Advertisement

MicktheMan wrote: »
    ah, right. That's explains the "?" so. :cool:

Indeed it does.well spotted.

Advertisement