Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joey Jordison leaves Slipknot

• 13-12-2013 4:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭

I just seen this posted on their website. http://www.slipknot1.com/
    To our Maggots and fans around the world,
    It is with great pain but quiet respect, that for personal reasons Joey Jordison and Slipknot are parting ways. We all wish Joey the best in whatever his future holds. We understand that many of you will want to know how and why this has come to be, and we will do our best to respond to these questions in the near future. It is our love for all of you, as well as for the music we create, that spurs us to continue on and move forward with our plans for releasing new material in the next year. We hope that all of you will come to understand this, and we appreciate your continued support while we plan the next phase of the future of Slipknot.
    Thank you,
    The ‘Knot

I'm shocked. I had a feeling he was more focused on Scar The Martyr but never thought he'd leave the band right in the middle of making a new album.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I am gutted. Slipknot were the first metal band I got into and Joey in particular was a hero of mine. He is the reason I started playing drums. This news saddens me, I am glad I got to see him perform one more time with Slipknot at Download this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

He has his new band to put his efforts into now, so i am assuming that might have something to do with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Reiketsu wrote: »
    I am gutted. Slipknot were the first metal band I got into and Joey in particular was a hero of mine. He is the reason I started playing drums. This news saddens me, I am glad I got to see him perform one more time with Slipknot at Download this year.

Jaysus he's not dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Jaysus he's not dead.

I know, what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Awwwww.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

wow this was sudden & unexpected to say the least

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Any chance Metallica would swap him for Lars ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Any chance Metallica would swap him for Lars ha

One can only dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Just checked out Scar The Martyr. Mannnn, there are so many bland sh*t American "rawk" bands getting great exposure. They're not a patch on Slipknot.

Staying that I think Stone Sour are rubbish as well, real drive time radio American "rawk" crap.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Genuinely thought they had stopped after the bassist died :o Though this might be another step in that direction.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

They'll quit after this album, wait a few years then do reunion because they miss playing music with each other for the money.

Corey Taylor has given his first interview since the bombshell of Joey leaving Slipknot was announced. Corey was interviewed by Minneapolis radio station 93X to promote the upcoming Stone Sour tour. The full interview can be heard below, but here are the juicy excerpts, transcribed by Blabbermouth.

When asked about the split with Joey:
    "Honestly, I can't really talk about it right now. It's still so fresh and there's a lot of things going on behind the scenes that people don't know about. So, legally and respectfully, I can't say a lot about it. I can confirm that — obviously, we put something up on the web site but I can confirm that we have parted ways with Joey, and as soon as we can say something, we will. I mean, we're trying to protect him, trying to protect us, just making sure that we do everything right, because that's what we would expect from ourselves and that's what we would expect from the fans. And I know the fans are chomping at the bit; it's just we can't really say anything right now. It sucks for them and it sucks for us, because, I mean, we have always really prided ourselves on being able to come out and be honest with everybody. But there's really nothing we can say right now. And until we can, it's just kind of… It's difficult, but if people can bear with us, we'll cross that bridge when we can."

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/corey-taylor-discusses-joey-jordison-split-progress-of-next-slipknot-album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Could this possibly be over the writing of the new album?
    I see Jim Root is taking time off from the Stone Sour tour
    to write the new knot album.

Was there maybe an argument over the creative process and who has a certain amount of input??

Could this possibly be over the writing of the new album?
    I see Jim Root is taking time off from the Stone Sour tour
    to write the new knot album.

Was there maybe an argument over the creative process and who has a certain amount of input??

I think it could be over the writing of the new album, if you read the link, Corey says when asked if Joey's material will be on the new album or if he was a part of the writing process so far
    "No, no. He's been doing Scar The Martyr. So this is all fresh material that just a handful of us have been putting together."

Whoever steps in to replace Joey will have one hell of a job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I don't know, I reckon it could be a good thing. Joey Jordison's style hasn't really progressed since Vol. 3 imo. He's no doubt a brilliant drummer but he's been using the same old tricks for the best part of a decade now. None of the visceral, angry bludgeon of late 90's/early 00's Slipknot that made him famous in the first place, just the same old fills over new(ish) riffs with Scar The Martyr. Who can go and ****e, by the way.

I'd love if Slipknot could go back to the original costumes and masks and all the dark menace of the first couple albums, but go completely over the top with it. Go all out heavy, like a cd full of "Get This" "Purity" and "Eeyore" style tracks.

Less of this "Deead meMORIES in MAIIII HEEAAARRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrt!!! WOwhoaoo!!".

Rubbish. Leave it in Stone Sour, Corey.

Best of luck to him anyway, STM should bring in a few bob. RIP Paul.

I don't think guys in their 40s are going to go back to masks and costumes...

If anything, after Paul's untimely passing & Joey's departure, i think Slipknot should just drop the jumpsuits & masks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

Didn't Corey make an effort to cut back on swearing after the 1st 2 albums as people were saying he was using it as a crutch?(I mean I know he stopped using it but wasn't that the reason behind it)
    I cant believe Joey left tbh after all they said about the new album and how STM was just a side project so there must be something personal and Joey not just wanting to focus on STM. I really hope they can work it out, slipknot are pretty much my favourite band and Joeys up there with my favorite drummers

I hope it's not just because he wanted to focus on Scar The Martyr because they're sh!te.

• Advertisement

I don't find them that bad, they've a few good songs, wouldn't be a big fan though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

seachto7 wrote: »

How do you go back to something that you never stopped doing in the first place?

Do they play gigs unmasked and in their civvies now?

Either that or they've split up and nobody told me, cheers for the heads up anyway.

RIP Slipknot.

It's be a dumb idea for them to ditch the masks and costumes. That's their shtick. Their identity as a band. For them to stop wearing costumes is like Dragonforce ditching the fantasy theme/nintendo sfx or like Zakk Wylde not being a badass biker guy or like Axl Rose not being an asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

:-o I can't imagine them without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Kiss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Whoever steps in to replace Joey will have one hell of a job

How so? Shouldn't be very hard to find a replacement.

Kiss?

and how stupid do they look? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

How so? Shouldn't be very hard to find a replacement.

Exactly. I am sure there are many talented drummers out there itching to audition. The hardest thing to do is be accepted by their fans, Jordison was like a god to a lot of Slipknot fans, I am sure whoever it is will get a lot of flak off the fans but I doubt they will care much once the paycheck is reasonable.

I wonder will the new guy be playing off stage like Pauls replacement or will the fact Joey is not dead keep him on stage? Will he get to wear his mask?

I don't think he'll be allowed to wear Joeys mask, the fans would probably hate him if he tried to imitate joey, I might be one of them. I'm not going to flak him just for trying to do his job and ill give him (or her) the benifit of doubt for a while anyway but he'll never really replace joey, I'm still hoping Joey will be back in the near future if slipknot lasts for long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

and how stupid do they look? :)

No more stupid than before or any band with a gimmick look. Quite sad really that adults have to resort to this kind of thing just to shift some units.

Advertisement