Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perineal urethrostomy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

He's flying it this morning, he can move a lot faster without his limp tail hindering him! He slept in my arms last night, it was just lovely. At least I know if he doesn't make it through this, I've given him the best few weeks I possibly could! Also all the fluid that was built up in his tail leaked out through the stitch holes, so i don't have to worry about him exploding!!

And you did absolutely everything you could and never gave up! Dude is a very lucky boy! :D Hopefully he'll start doing a lot better without that annoying tail! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Am keeping all my fingers crossed for Dude. He looks so bright eyed despite his ordeal, i really hope he recovers fully ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It's very hard to keep the little fella quiet today, he's so excited by all the festivities, not to mention the wrapping paper! He's enjoying his first Christmas and we're all enjoying having him here :D and he has my 92 year old granduncle in hysterics between the cone of shame and the bald arse :pac:

We went in for a wound check today, unfortunately there was some breakdown of the wound due to swelling so he's left with a bit of a hole and there is infection, he has antibiotic cover so it shouldn't get too bad, we will just have to keep his stump extra clean. I've never seen him in such good form as he has been the last couple of days, despite the cone he is legging it around the place like there's nothing wrong! Though the storm did scare him last night so neither of us got any sleep, ah well!

How could you be mad at this little face wanting to be cuddled for an hour at 5am? Though he has my blanket soaking from suckling on it!!

• Advertisement

We had another check up this morning, things are still pretty much the same though the vet said where he has sensation on his bum could be enough to restore continence but it's hard to say, so we are going to leave him in his crate with the catheter open to see if he makes any signs of trying to pee in the tray by himself to see if he is getting anything back. But she also said last week when she was putting in the catheter, he was still conscious and he wasn't happy, which is good because it means he does have feeling... So still a waiting game!!

So I opened his catheter and crated him with his litter tray and he did squat for a little bit in it, now when his catheter is open it just freely drips so he couldn't get a stream going or anything, and continued to drop when he got out of his tray, but the fact he did squat a couple of times may mean that he can feel himself peeing. We can only hope! Our next appointment is Friday for him to get another 2 week antibiotic injection, and he is starting electro pulse therapy on Monday so hopefully that will help. Hard to believe it's been 3 weeks today since the accident happened, and he hasn't changed a bit, except for the lack of tail and the little tube sticking out of him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

I just wanted to say what a wonderful, caring owner you are to Dude. I know I'm not the only following this thread and reading all the updates and each time I read your update you're rooting for him, constantly trying new things - never giving up. You're a wonderful person for everything you are doing for your lil Dude. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

jellybear wrote: »
    I just wanted to say what a wonderful, caring owner you are to Dude. I know I'm not the only following this thread and reading all the updates and each time I read your update you're rooting for him, constantly trying new things - never giving up. You're a wonderful person for everything you are doing for your lil Dude. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

+1 I check in here daily for Dude updates. fingers and toes crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Me three
    Waiting for each update hoping for good news!

• Advertisement

I have never seen Dude with so much energy as he has had this morning. He is a loonatic!! I don't let him upstairs as I'm afraid he would do damage to himself climbing, but this morning I turned around for literally 2 seconds to pick up my phone and by the time I turned back the little brat was gone!! I don't know how to attach videos here, but I have a great one of him playing with his father toy this morning on my cats Facebook page! He was mental for it :D

And thanks so much for the kind words everyone, it's great to have someplace that I can write about all this!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I have never seen Dude with so much energy as he has had this morning. He is a loonatic!! I don't let him upstairs as I'm afraid he would do damage to himself climbing, but this morning I turned around for literally 2 seconds to pick up my phone and by the time I turned back the little brat was gone!! I don't know how to attach videos here, but I have a great one of him playing with his father toy this morning on my cats Facebook page! He was mental for it :D

And thanks so much for the kind words everyone, it's great to have someplace that I can write about all this!
    Put it on youtube and link the video.

Hopefully this works, never done it from my phone before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Really hope Dude manages to pee really soon, poor little thing sounds like he's been through the ringer. Hoping when I check back in here that it'll be good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I'm a long time lurker of this forum, and have a cat around the same age as Dude myself, and just read the whole thread - really really rooting for him, and for you!
    He is very lucky to have such a compassionate owner. A lot of people could do with taking a leaf from your book :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Great zoomies! He looks in good spirits and his balance doesn't seem to be affected either. Well done you (and Dude of course).

He's finally asleep for the first time properly today thank god!! He was going non stop all day, I've no idea why today was different but once he's happy so am I! His balance is brilliant now, he's able to fly around the room, jumping and flipping around the place :)

Dude and cream were all snuggled up on the chair by the fire asleep, I wasn't paying much attention but when I looked over Cream was cleaning Dudes stump :eek: time to wash the stitches!!

Dude and cream were all snuggled up on the chair by the fire asleep, I wasn't paying much attention but when I looked over Cream was cleaning Dudes stump :eek: time to wash the stitches!!

Aww I bet they looked really cute though!

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    Aww I bet they looked really cute though!

It was adorable, I wish I had my phone on me to take a pic! My mom is kindly taking over night duty tonight so I get to sleep for a full night in a bed for the first time since we brought him home from the vets! Though I imagine I'm going to find it hard to sleep without him lying across me and kicking me in his sleep!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Any progress on the pee?

Any progress on the pee?

He still has the catheter in so it's hard to tell really, sometimes he squats when the catheter is draining but sometimes he doesn't so I really don't know. We have another check up on Friday do might know more then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Thank you for this thread - it gives me great comfort as one of our cats is at the vet's at the moment (being investigated re intestinal blockages (inconclusive xray) and at a drip atm). The amount of worry and crying and hoping/despair over the last week is the same kind of a roller-coaster you have gone through! I can just hope that our Mickey gets through it as well.
    Thanks for sharing and all my best wishes and energy for your little Dude! He sounds like a fighter if there ever was one!

morgana wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread - it gives me great comfort as one of our cats is at the vet's at the moment (being investigated re intestinal blockages (inconclusive xray) and at a drip atm). The amount of worry and crying and hoping/despair over the last week is the same kind of a roller-coaster you have gone through! I can just hope that our Mickey gets through it as well.
    Thanks for sharing and all my best wishes and energy for your little Dude! He sounds like a fighter if there ever was one!

I hope all goes well with Mickey, it's so worrying when they are in the vets!

Another vet trip today, more antibiotics so another 2 weeks with us at least, if we can keep him going that long with no complications. I'm getting exhausted both physically and emotionally, just thinking that all this work could be in vain but I still can't bring myself to give up without giving him as much time as we can. I felt bad this evening because I desperately needed sleep so nodded off for a few hrs then when it came to draining his bladder it was over full because I had waited too long and he was uncomfortable so it was very hard to settle him to actually empty him. He's now asleep on me again happy out and full of treats so at least it didn't phase him too much!

Another vet trip today, more antibiotics so another 2 weeks with us at least, if we can keep him going that long with no complications. I'm getting exhausted both physically and emotionally, just thinking that all this work could be in vain but I still can't bring myself to give up without giving him as much time as we can. I felt bad this evening because I desperately needed sleep so nodded off for a few hrs then when it came to draining his bladder it was over full because I had waited too long and he was uncomfortable so it was very hard to settle him to actually empty him. He's now asleep on me again happy out and full of treats so at least it didn't phase him too much!

You are doing so well! Does he keep wakin u up? Or is it because you are worried? Or can't sleep on the couch?

You are doing so well! Does he keep wakin u up? Or is it because you are worried? Or can't sleep on the couch?

I stay up for the night because even with the cone he can grab the catheter and pull it, we tried a bigger cone but th next size up means he can't reach is food/use litter tray/sleep properly. So I stay up for the night with him then when my mom comes home from work she minds him and I go to bed, but didn't get a chance to today as we had to bring him to the vets so I just nodded off on the couch!

Aww that's tough! When Smudge had her cone she had trouble eatin too. I used to put her bowl on a couple of books to raise it up and she could manage it then!! But then that doesn't help with the litter tray or sleep prob! You probably can't sleep anyway. When Smudge was sick she was staying in our little bathroom and I'd say I was up every 45 min checkin on her :):)

Dude is so so lucky to have you!

Dude is so so lucky to have you!

I see it as I'm lucky to have him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

I stay up for the night because even with the cone he can grab the catheter and pull it, we tried a bigger cone but th next size up means he can't reach is food/use litter tray/sleep properly. So I stay up for the night with him then when my mom comes home from work she minds him and I go to bed, but didn't get a chance to today as we had to bring him to the vets so I just nodded off on the couch!

Hi SillyMangoX,

I have been keeping an eye on this thread hoping to see good news. You are doing really well, keep it up. When we were going through our very similar situation with Ollie we often found ourselves wondering whether we were doing the right thing or not. Three years later (almost to the day) we know we did and it was totally worth it! Ollie brings us so much happiness every day and even though he has to wear nappies for the rest of his life he has a great quality of life and is a very spoilt loved cat. He just jumped up beside me for a few headbutts :D. We are remarkably lucky that he is very ok with wearing his nappies (or diapers as they are known as over here in the states ;) ) and he only very occasionally gets them off. None of the other 4 would put up with it i'm sure!

Anyway, would you believe that after I pm'd you a few weeks ago I ended up, on 23rd December, in the emergency vets with our cat Milo :rolleyes:. He is the only one of our cats that we leave (or should I say did leave!) out. He obviously got into it with another cat and ended up with a bite wound that developed into an abscess. We had it treated by a vet who put in a drain and poor Milo had to wear a cone for close to two weeks. We noticed even with the cone he was managing to get to the wound. Not only licking it but actually tearing the wound with the edge of the cone. Rather than get a bigger cone we folded over some kitchen paper and taped it all around the edge of the cone with some surgical tape. It did the trick perfectly. Stopped him getting to the wound but was soft enough to 'give' a little so he could get to his food and water. Might be worth a try for dude?

One good thing we found out from our christmas trip to the vets is that the nature of Milo's wound suggests he was retreating and in the vets own words 'he a lover not a fighter' :D. Although we already knew that and could have done without the $175 vet bill to be told so! We had an appointment the next morning with the vets but we just couldn't bear the thought of leaving our big softie in pain over night... maybe we're the big softies! :rolleyes:

Advertisement