Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perineal urethrostomy

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I'm just so glad we didn't give up after giving him only a week to recover. It's lucky really that I failed my last exam because if I had passed, graduated and got a job I wouldn't have been able to give him the time he needed to get this far. Everything happens for a reason! And I have to say the support from everyone, here, my vets and on my cats Facebook page has been amazing, and I love being able to give everyone good news for a change. So far today he's done 3 pees on the floor and one in his tray, proper ones not just little squirts, and I haven't had to help him out at all. I even had a friend over for the first time since the start of December today as I couldn't really have many people over while he was bad (Bar Christmas). Things are definitely looking up but I still don't want to count my chickens, he could still take a turn for the worse/get a uti/go into kidney failure/have long term bladder problems, so we will still just take things one day at a time and count every day we have with him as a blessing!

how silly of you mango to be thinking like that he will be fine hes on the road to a full recovery and that's the way you need to be thinking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Great to hear he's doing so well! Taking care of him is also great practice for you too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Delighted he is doing do well
    We'll done SMX for all the patience you had
    Those sleepless nights are paying off at last

Go Dude!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

How often are cats supposed to pee? I've forgotten :P dude went 6 times yesterday intentionally and twice accidentally (when he was licking himself). He's only gone once today but it was a bigger pee. He's so confusing! But at least I didn't have to help him at all yesterday :) peach and cream spray a lot so I can't really count all their pees to compare, poor dude never learned to spray thank god, he still squats like a little girl :P

Brought dude out for an hour and a half on lead and he did 3 big pees but after that he kept scratching and squatting and nothing came out so he still isn't able to fully empty himself :(

• Advertisement

he may have a bit of irritation and really doesn't know whether he needs to go or not 3 pees in that length of time would make me think along these lines but that's my humble opinion im no vet

jimf wrote: »
    he may have a bit of irritation and really doesn't know whether he needs to go or not 3 pees in that length of time would make me think along these lines but that's my humble opinion im no vet

I'd say it is a bit irritated alright, but his bladder still feels full-ish, so it's like when he's full he can get out a good bit, but he can't get the last of it out, and that would be a breeding ground for bacteria.. but sure we'll just keep going as we are for the moment!

I'd say it is a bit irritated alright, but his bladder still feels full-ish, so it's like when he's full he can get out a good bit, but he can't get the last of it out, and that would be a breeding ground for bacteria.. but sure we'll just keep going as we are for the moment!

retained urine would deff be a good breeding ground for bacteria

hopefully all is back to normal soon ye both have been through the mill

I got a cat diary for Christmas where you fill out all the details about your cats daily habits etc, I ran out of room in the vets visit pages! He's getting his first test run tonight of being left alone in the crate for a few hours, we're going out for dinner Wednesday night so he'll be alone so we're going to the pub for a small while so I'm not too far from him! Hopefully he won't wreck the place or do any damage!

He's gotten feeling back to his full stump! :) when he had a tail he used to constantly chase it, today he went to chase his tail and for the first time realised it wasn't there, so he grabbed his stump and seemed very proud of himself :D I'm having trouble with his poos now though, initially he was constipated for the last 5 weeks really, but since Friday they've been quite loose. Not diarrhoea, just soft and messy. I fed him ID food for 2 days to see would it clear it up but it didn't, so now I'm feeding him just dry food to see will that help. I've had to wash his vet bed every morning because he messes it so much, I'd say our poor washing machine doesn't know what hit it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Glad he's got the feeling back:) I got an 8 pack of Fizzion from Amazon.uk today for 14.99 and they ship to Ireland, just letting you know in case you're still looking. They weren't shipping to here last year when I needed it then. I don't know how some sellers can justify trying to charge 42 pounds for a 2 pack. 1 tablet makes up a a spray bottle so it lasts a while. We bought 2 packs last year and are down to our last little bit of it.

That's brilliant thanks! I might hold off till next week to order it, he's stopped peeing on chairs now so we may not need it after all :)

So we've had 16 pees today, and his bladder hasn't gotten rigid yet since his last pee around 6 pm so hopefully his body was having a good clear out today and he'll be back to normal soon. If he pees that much again tomorrow though I might bring him to the vet just to be sure it isn't a UTI. He also did a normal poop this evening so we won't have to do quite as much washing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Little Dude sounds like he's well on the road to recovery, you must be so relieved at his progress. I think congratulations are in order at this point and well done for such a great job on nursing him back to health. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Have to say been reading this thread for weeks but havent posted, so just wanted to say soo glad to hear the little fella is doing so well...

and he's very lucky to have such loving and persistent owners, lots of people would have given up ages ago... ;) hes one lucky little dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I can only echo my previous posters, I am so very glad that Dude is on the right road now and you have done a brilliant job in not giving up :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Little Dude sounds like he's well on the road to recovery, you must be so relieved at his progress. I think congratulations are in order at this point and well done for such a great job on nursing him back to health. :)

+1 on that. Great job, SMX.

Thanks everyone :D My little man is worth all the effort we put into him. I don't know what I would do if he wasn't around. I suffer from quite bad panic attacks and the one thing that will always ALWAYS make them go away before they set in too badly is having him knead me. Around 5.30 this morning I could feel one coming on so I took him out of his crate, normally when I take him out he will run around like a crazy thing but he knows when I need him to stay with me and he just lay down beside me in bed and kneaded me till I felt better. At that stage he then decided to run around like a crazy thing :P I think he should be a therapy cat!! :P

One GIGANTIC pee and that bladder is empty :D almost have him back litter trained now. He's stopped squatting on the floor or incontinance sheets so he will only intentionally go in his tray. Still has accidents around the place when he licks himself but sure we can deal with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

That is fantastic news. Well done Dude.:) And of course his Mammy.

• Advertisement

I spoke too soon about the litter training, he peed on the floor and on the mat in the porch this morning! Ah well better out than in :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Delighted for dude and his mammy

Dude did 4 pees outside today and I thought he was empty but when we came back in he did one just outside his litter tray, another on the kitchen counter (that did not go down well with my mam) and then another big one outside his tray so I've an appointment made for him this evening just to make sure he doesn't have a UTI or anything nasty like that going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It really might be worth trying him with some natural flavour bio yoghurt or some probiotic mixed into his wet food if he won't eat the yoghurt. It was our mutual vet that recommended it for Felix when he was having a lot of surgery and antibotics. The antibiotics can be very hard on the system and the water works. He's an amazing little chap.

It really might be worth trying him with some natural flavour bio yoghurt or some probiotic mixed into his wet food if he won't eat the yoghurt. It was our mutual vet that recommended it for Felix when he was having a lot of surgery and antibotics. The antibiotics can be very hard on the system and the water works. He's an amazing little chap.

I'm in the waiting room waiting to see her right now so I will definitely ask her about them :)

No uti thankfully, probably a bit stressed which could irritate the bladder so just a couple of days of metacam should sort out his accidents. And yeah some natural yoghurt as a probiotic which I'm sure peach and cream will be more than willing to share with him! At least now I don't have to worry about him being sick for the weekend!

I'm so confused right now, Dude has his anal tone back (as in it all 'winks' for lack of a better word when touched) but every time he is asleep he leaks small amounts of poop! It's normal consistency and just a small little ball. He's still pooping normally when awake, in his tray and a normal size/shape but these little escapees while he's asleep have me baffled! And it's not just every once in a while, it's every time he goes to sleep. I have to change his bedding every day and watch him like a hawk when he's asleep anywhere else. Sometimes they don't come out, they just hang half in half out and pop out once he stands up... it's always one thing after another with him! Has anyone heard of anything like this before??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

At a guess... and I'm only guessing, it's incomplete evacuation when he's actually pooping.
    There's a very little residue each time that he doesn't *squeeze* out or *force* out.
    So maybe his sphincter muscles relax a little when he sleeps because they're not quite back to normal strength and the residue just slides out??

He's making great progress considering what he's been through and maybe this is a sign that his anal tract is gaining sensitivity and is aware when there is some residual faeces there?

Rancid wrote: »
    At a guess... and I'm only guessing, it's incomplete evacuation when he's actually pooping.
    There's a very little residue each time that he doesn't *squeeze* out or *force* out.
    So maybe his sphincter muscles relax a little when he sleeps because they're not quite back to normal strength and the residue just slides out??

He's making great progress considering what he's been through and maybe this is a sign that his anal tract is gaining sensitivity and is aware when there is some residual faeces there?

That makes sense actually, when he does go normally he doesn't seem to strain or push like a normal cat would (can usually see their sides rippling) he just squats and it comes out, or will mostly come out and drop on the floor after he takes a few steps. even after this he might go back a few times and squat without anything coming out, or with just the small amounts which I have the ever so lovely job or removing from him when he can't get them out! Hopefully it will resolve with a bit more time. I'm going through some amount of kitchen roll and disinfectant spray :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement