Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My god Holtby is a dynamo

Options
  • 13-12-2013 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

what a goal!...nuff sed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Apparently our £1.6m signing just isn't cutting it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Great little engine and still developing in this league. Will pop in with a few important goals this season. Probably won't be a world beater but we paid pittance for him. Great goal last night showing he does have a deft touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

What has he done in 12 months. A couple of goals against EL teams when your already 2 or 3 up.wow. Hardly the player to build your team around. Decent squad player, granted. He'll continue to do what he's done for the next season or two and DL will get a silly bid of 5-6million from some desperate team during the Jan transfer market and he'll be gone and the ENIC boys will be slapping Levy on the back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

What has he done in 12 months. A couple of goals against EL teams when your already 2 or 3 up.wow. Hardly the player to build your team around. Decent squad player, granted. He'll continue to do what he's done for the next season or two and DL will get a silly bid of 5-6million from some desperate team during the Jan transfer market and he'll be gone and the ENIC boys will be slapping Levy on the back again.

Presumably he wasn't bought for that reason? He's a grafter and does exactly what it says on the side of the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think he has improved recently last two league games he's been excellent finally showing what he's got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

He has improved for sure and i have been one of his biggest critics. He isnt a dynamo but is playing well at present - needs to move up a few gears if he is to be called a great player

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

He certainly puts in the effort, super goal and another great pot shot from outside the box.

irishmover wrote: »
    Apparently our £1.6m signing just isn't cutting it though...

Whats the cost got to do with it, if he only cost 1.6m does that mean its okay if he performances are reflective of his cost?

Oh you cost 25M ?- you better score 20+ goals and win us 10-15 games
    Cost 10M - you better get us a handful of assists and a few MOM awards
    Cost 1.6M - don't worry pal, we are not expecting much - just run around alot and make an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Holt by is full of guts,honesty and skill and is worth more than €1.6 million I like the guy but I don't think he is ever going to be top class though .

As no 10, he is nowhere near vdv from a vision point of view so to expect him to do that kind of job is unreasonable.

Physically he does not have the build to give him the edge when pace and power is required to get into the penalty area where
    he could excel because he is a sweet striker of the ball from distance and accurate ,maybe his frame can develope but you have to have the basic canvass for that to happen.

If everyone thinks how bale developed physically from his arrival at the club to his departure, it went hand in hand with his overall play,
    Lamela looks like the one player who could be worked on this way also but not holtby IMO.

It leaves me thinking that holtby isn't going to be quite good enough as a playmaker and won't develope physically enough to drive from midfield and create and score his own goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

His value to us is as a very good squad player in my opinion.

He is not going to start 30 games a season in the PL, he is not going to score 15 goals, he is not going to win us tight games that we have to.........but i couldnt give a toss because i dont think thats why he was bought.

He was bought to give us depth. We are going to play nearly 60 games this year and he will be important in a lot of those i think. At the very least he will give eriksen or siggy a breather, or cover us during an injury period (like now) and hes always going to do everything he can for the team. And for the price he cost thats an absolute steal considering the quality that he has got

• Advertisement

Whats the cost got to do with it, if he only cost 1.6m does that mean its okay if he performances are reflective of his cost?

Oh you cost 25M ?- you better score 20+ goals and win us 10-15 games
    Cost 10M - you better get us a handful of assists and a few MOM awards
    Cost 1.6M - don't worry pal, we are not expecting much - just run around alot and make an effort.

Are you for real?

Well, yes.

Maybe its because I had high expectations of him that I've been disappointed. Others seem to think he's a credible squad player, and I agree. As the last poster pointed out, he can come in as cover and do a job but that's about the height of it.

Well, yes.

Maybe its because I had high expectations of him that I've been disappointed. Others seem to think he's a credible squad player, and I agree. As the last poster pointed out, he can come in as cover and do a job but that's about the height of it.

Phew! Sorry some of my posts can seem a bit like a d*ck.. Don't intend to be...

Everyone uses money as an example as to why someone is a flop. It's impossible to state that Holtby is a flop when his cost was so little in comparison to people like Bentley, Torres..... Soldado and Lamela (at present).

The media would never be on Holtby's back. He's worth considerably more than £1.6m and refreshingly doesn't have a big price tag to contend with. As was pointed out he's a fantastic squad player, has as much heart and desire as Dawson to play for the club and is a genuine guy to boot.

I for one am bloody delighted to have such a guy in the dressing room, particularly for a crucial time like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

He's doing alright, works hard and is happy to play reserve for us. Some of you won't be happy till he fcuks off to Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Leave him alone,he's doing well and is still young,he has plenty of time to get even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

tippspur wrote: »
    Leave him alone,he's doing well and is still young,he has plenty of time to get even better.

You sound like his older brother :D

couldn't agree more... he's a young kid with barrels of potential that puts in more effort then anyone on the team. Big fan of him and I'd love nothing more then for him to make it to the big stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Im also a big fan of Holtby. I love his attitude, he aint half bad and will get better with more games. If any real Spurs fan watches him play they will appreciate this lad and get behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Emoran wrote: »
    You sound like his older brother :D

couldn't agree more... he's a young kid with barrels of potential that puts in more effort then anyone on the team. Big fan of him and I'd love nothing more then for him to make it to the big stage.
    One of the very few to show some passion in yesterdays farce of a game against Liverpool was my little brother Louis:)

Advertisement