Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clamped appeal and conflict

Options
  • 13-12-2013 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

On the 11.11.2013 i had parked my car in the Gulliver’sretail park @ 11:30pm just outside costa coffee while i had went around toMcDonalds in my mate’s car to get something to eat. We had come back around onthe 12.11.2013 we had driven back around @ 00.02 to find that my car had beenclamped by your company. I then looked for a sign and to notice that the signwas not in a good location as there is a tree if front of which does not makeit easy to see in the dark. As i had to go over to read the sign it states thatthere is no parking from midnight to 6.00am and as i read the notice on the carthe car was clamped 12.11.2013 @ 00.01 am. On the flip side of that there isanother sign stating that there is a max of one hour parking on the entrance upat the spar which is very confusing. I think that i have been treated unfairlyas being one minute passed twelve as he must have been waiting there andstarted to put the clamp on at twelve o'clock and wrote the ticket at oneminute passed twelve but myunderstanding is that if I’m doing business in the park i should be entitled topark there. On another note when I hadrang the number and tried to explain my situation to the person on the phone hehad a very bad attitude on the phone and did not have good phone manner talkingto costumers I explained to him that I got clamped at one minute passed twelveand that they did not give me a chance to get back quick enough to get may carand decided just to clamp and his answer was you will just have to pay for itto be released there is nothing else that can be done.

Can anyone give and advice on this as I did not get a proper explanation as to why they clamped me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

tarzon wrote: »
    Can anyone give and advice on this as I did not get a proper explanation as to why they clamped me

They clamped you because you were parked there during the hours you were not permitted to park there. If you can't park there from 00:00 to 06:00 then they can clamp you from any time between 00:00 to 06:00 for being parked there.

00:01 is within that timeframe.

They don't have to allow you any grace time to get back to your car, as your car should be removed from the parking area prior to 00:00.

The other sign stating you may be parked there for a max of 1 hour would indicate that you may park there, for a maximum of 1 hour, between the hours of 06:00 and 00:00.

Sorry, but I can't see you having a successful claim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

Not sure why you're confused, OP. You don't think 00:01 is after 00:00? It's not really subjective.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The sign clearly says no overnight parking, so that without a doubt overrules any sign that says you can park for 1-3 hours.
    If it didn't then any idiot could just park overnight until 3am and this would make the no overnight parking sign useless.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter of it was 0:01 or 0:45 you ignored the sign,

I don't see how you have a come back here considering you didn't look for signs in the area before parking, if this is your best defense and you think this is a valid defense then anybody could use this to get out of tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It looks like they have you there alright but seriously, is it any wonder people lose the rag and end up on assault and/or criminal damage charges with this 'one minute over the time' bull sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Who put the clamp on the car?
    Were they authorised by the council to do so?
    It's illegal to immobilise someone else's car unless they've been given authorisation to do so by the council.

Whether they can do it on private property or not is a grey area of the law. There's been numerous people who've had the clamp "fall off" the car and not been prosecuted because the likes of apcoa are afraid to take it to court.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

emeldc wrote: »
    It looks like they have you there alright but seriously, is it any wonder people lose the rag and end up on assault and/or criminal damage charges with this 'one minute over the time' bull sh1t.

Yeah, I mean how dare people respect the rules! Its shocking!
    :rolleyes:

is it any wonder people lose the rag and end up on assault and/or criminal damage charges with this 'one minute over the time' bull sh1t.

People like you irritate me because you rabble on, yet don't think logically about the situation. If they gave you 10mins grace period, you'd be saying "I was only 1 min over the grace period FFS"; you'd be moaning either way. There can't be a grace period or any grey area. It needs to be clearly defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How can the centre consider it reasonable to impose a parking restriction like that when they have a tenant that opens 24 hours?

Its a private clamper, look on the motors forum for the best way of dealing with them.

People like you irritate me because you rabble on, yet don't think logically about the situation. If they gave you 10mins grace period, you'd be saying "I was only 1 min over the grace period FFS"; you'd be moaning either way. There can't be a grace period or any grey area. It needs to be clearly defined.

If you read the post I said the clampers were probably in the right. Do you think if it happened to a woman left on her own in an almost empty car park at midnight because she was a minute over the time, that the self righteous brigade on here would be saying 'tough sh1t missus, you were late'.
    Would you come up for air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

If you read the post I said the clampers were probably in the right. Do you think if it happened to a woman left on her own in an almost empty car park at midnight because she was a minute over the time, that the self righteous brigade on here would be saying 'tough sh1t missus, you were late'.

Yes I would, because yelling a screaming is going to get you know where and as for your suggestion that it's okay to assault someone over this, I know you were joking/exaggerating but cop on.

OP pay the fine, keep all the correspondence and appeal, do a search in motors and the Legal Discussions forum (dont open a new post in LS - do a search). Private clampers are on very dodgey ground a properly worded letter may suffice, either that or you may have to go down the Small Claims route.

• Advertisement

Bepolite wrote: »
    Yes I would, because yelling a screaming is going to get you know where and as for your suggestion that it's okay to assault someone over this, I know you were joking/exaggerating but cop on.

OP pay the fine, keep all the correspondence and appeal, do a search in motors and the Legal Discussions forum (dont open a new post in LS - do a search). Private clampers are on very dodgey ground a properly worded letter may suffice, either that or you may have to go down the Small Claims route.

Ah really, I'm surprised at you. Point out where I said the above :confused:

Ah really, I'm surprised at you. Point out where I said the above :confused:

Okay point taken you've not condoned it directly, my apologies. But to answer this point directly yes, it is a wonder to me and a venture most people that someone would assault someone else or damage property (beyond the clamp to be fair).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

not quite directly clamp related but may be relevant.
    is there any area of the car park open 24hrs? planning regs require parking spaces to be provided relating to maybe floor area in this case. if there are units open, there should be spaces provided to cater for this. although im not saying they would be obliged to keep the entire car park open, just what the statutory requirements are for the open units
    edit: just looked at sign 1, doesnt show a time limit on it while sign 2 does, id say your screwed. unless you have a video from 12.02 showing nobody about, 1 minute to clamp, put on the notice, drive off are they that fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Scortho wrote: »
    Who put the clamp on the car?
    The company named on teh sign.
    Scortho wrote: »
    Were they authorised by the council to do so?
    They don't need council permission or authorisation.
    It's illegal to immobilise someone else's car unless they've been given authorisation to do so by the council.
    This is not true.
    Whether they can do it on private property or not is a grey area of the law. There's been numerous people who've had the clamp "fall off" the car and not been prosecuted because the likes of apcoa are afraid to take it to court.
    The OP was using a private car park and does so according to their rules, terms and conditions. There is nothing to indicate that a clamping company is afraid to take anything to court - it's quite possible that they look at the time and cost of going court and work out it's cheaper just to let one go. For every one clamp that falls off there's 100 other paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

MYOB wrote: »
    How can the centre consider it reasonable to impose a parking restriction like that when they have a tenant that opens 24 hours?

I don't think there's any business open after 11.00pm in that place. The OP said he left his car there, and went off with a mate, in the mate's car, to McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

N.C.P.S remove the clamp off your car and forget it ever happened to you

nompere wrote: »
    I don't think there's any business open after 11.00pm in that place. The OP said he left his car there, and went off with a mate, in the mate's car, to McDonalds.

McDonalds website says its 24hrs in that park, only other place open late is Spar which closed at 11pm.

nompere wrote: »

McDonalds is in the same development and is 24/7.

MYOB wrote: »
    McDonalds is in the same development and is 24/7.

I'm not familiar with the place but do McDonalds have their own car park or how does it work after midnight.

I'm not familiar with the place but do McDonalds have their own car park or how does it work after midnight.

They don't.

There are two seperate sections of carpark, either of which is logical enough to park in for McDonalds. One small one which is better lit and one huge one which is closer to McDonalds but most of the lights are out (or were last time I was there).

A huge % of their businesss at night would be drivethrough rather than park and walk in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 tarzon

NCPS put the clamp onto my car but on further inspection of the area

1. The sign is not well displayed as it behind a tree

2. If McDonalds' is opened 24 hours would we not be entitled to use the car park
    if we are doing business in the retail park as WE ARE NOT GOING TO DRIVE TWO CARS THROUGHT THE DRIVE THROUGHT

3. There is more than one sign in the retail park giving conflict of rules on parking from two different companies as I have shown in the pictures

The replay that I have got from the appeals of ncps dose not give any proper explanation apart from the rulings of there sign and answers to the questions I have asked

Cabaal as I said if you read the thread properly you would under stand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

I don't know the area but I think the signs are confusing and the OP has a right to feel aggrieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

To be fair this is already the subject of a written judgment. Clamper's are entitled to the quantum of parking not paid for. If we stretch this we can say that's the time from close of the car park to it opening again (that is being exceptionally generous to the clamping company). It's no where near €120 though.

Bepolite wrote: »
    To be fair this is already the subject of a written judgment. Clamper's are entitled to the quantum of parking not paid for. If we stretch this we can say that's the time from close of the car park to it opening again (that is being exceptionally generous to the clamping company). It's no where near €120 though.

Considering the parking is offered free during normal hours and with no option to pay for an overstay, what's the price assumed?

The only local carpark I can think of that charges is the SSC down the road which is roughly €3 an hour if that can be assumed to set a value for the area.

You argued that there should be a grace period, which is an impractical idea, because the same morons who now argue "I was only 5 mins over the time" would then argue "I was only 5 mins over the grace period". You'll never be able to please these idiots because they never think they're wrong - the world is always against them. When they get clamped, it's not their fault. If they fail their driving test, it's because the instructor had it in for them. They think they should be allowed to return goods because they changed their mind and wade in like a barstool expert quoting non applicable consumer law, etc.

My point was that you suggested a completely impractical solution.

You argued that there should be a grace period, which is an impractical idea, because the same morons who now argue "I was only 5 mins over the time" would then argue "I was only 5 mins over the grace period". You'll never be able to please these idiots because they never think they're wrong - the world is always against them. When they get clamped, it's not their fault. If they fail their driving test, it's because the instructor had it in for them. They think they should be allowed to return goods because they changed their mind and wade in like a barstool expert quoting non applicable consumer law, etc.

My point was that you suggested a completely impractical solution.

Jesus H murf.........sorry, morf, I didn't suggest any solution :confused:
    But in my world there is such a thing called discretion which was certainly not used here. By the looks of things the clamper waited until the stroke of midnight and clamped the OP's car for no reason other than financial gain. It's not like he was causing an obstruction or was way over time, it was 60 seconds FFS. Thank jebus I'm not on the receiving end of your idea of humanity too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

J
    But in my world there is such a thing called discretion which was certainly not used here. By the looks of things the clamper waited until the stroke of midnight and clamped the OP's car.

So, in your world ... how long should the clamper sit and wait? 1 min isn't enough ... how about 5 min, 10 min, 30 min?? The car was parked a while, according to the OP, no sign of any driver around ... why should the clamping agent hang around to see if someone returns? I'm sure they have other sites to visit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Paulw wrote: »
    So, in your world ... how long should the clamper sit and wait? 1 min isn't enough ... how about 5 min, 10 min, 30 min?? The car was parked a while, according to the OP, no sign of any driver around ... why should the clamping agent hang around to see if someone returns? I'm sure they have other sites to visit too.
    i hope you have never been annoyed when a garage charges you that 1c you went over the 20e when filling up

im going to bring this up again... the OP said he arrived back at 00.02 and went looking for a sign, suggesting to me the clampers were finished and gone. could they really clamp and be out of there in under 2 minutes? by the time they put on the clamp, window notice, take the picture, is there more documentation? drive off, none of this hugely time consuming but 1 minute is some going!
    see if costa would let you look at their cameras, im sure they have a time stamp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement