Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Jam Announce European Tour 2014

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Lads - The fact is, they routinely skip us. Has nothing to do with the O2 as a venue. If they can sell out large outdoor shows across Europe why not put them in Marlay park here with a strong support lineup ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Stick them in the Aviva

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

i love my bro but i have very hard feelings towards him right now
    10451718_10152982111053032_2307742723676025522_n.jpg

None of us know for sure, but I'd like to think that the reason they've skipped us for 2 tours now is to give everyone a 'fair' slice of the pie. Granted, with that theory we should have gotten a show in 2014.

I reckon that there's cities/countries/regions that the lads themselves love visiting especially now that they treat these tours as family holidays as well - Amsterdam, Italy, Germany and Scandinavia, so all of those are a given for a Euro tour of 12+ dates. The rest of the gigs are divided up between 'fringe' countries which are alternated every tour or so.

(This is the part where I tried to list out their last few Euro tours, trying to make sense of their gig placement, but I had to quit, I don't even think that Robert Langdon and Stephen Hawking together could crack their code!)

Maybe they've fallen out with MCD, maybe they've fallen out of love with Ireland, maybe the guy who jumped down from the balcony at the end of the last O2 gig was enough for Ed and the guys to say "Fúck that" (though I seriously doubt that's the reason.) Maybe all Glen Hansard does when he tours with Eddie is moan about Ireland. :pac:

Seriously though, I strongly believe their reasons for not playing here have nothing to do with:

-The price of renting out the O2; They can cover that cost by bumping up the ticket price accordingly as they did in 2010. (From my memory, Belfast ticket was quite cheaper than Dublin)

-The crowd reaction or turnout; I was in The Point in 2006 and O2 in 2010 and have memories of a sold-out electric crowd on both occasions.

-The 'logistics' of getting the show onto/off this island; Ireland has no shortage of international acts visiting here every month of the year, it doesn't stop those acts. The O2 is right beside the port where they'd have to load their trucks onto the ferry post-show to head over to the U.K.

So what is the reason why PJ have skipped us for 2 tours now? After all that I still have no fúcking clue :pac: But it seriously could be worse, Scotland and Wales haven't gotten a gig in eons, neither has Greece. Spain and Portugal last got a gig in 2010 like us. Plus big ol' shiny London, outside of a festival appearance in 2012, haven't gotten a proper gig since 2009.

As long as they tour Europe I will travel to see them, but there's nothing like seeing them in your own backyard. I trust they'll be back sooner than later, they have great fans and friends here and I feel it will be part of a smaller European 2015 tour.

Is the reason you are not backing up your claim with your supposed facts because you are talking out of your ass?

The only time I know of when somebody was killed in the Point Depot / O2 from 1988 to 2014 was in 1996 at a Smashing Pumpkins concert when 17 year old Bernadette O'Brien was crushed to death after fans refused to calm down and stop moshing despite constant urging and pleading from the band.

If you know more than this, like you claim, why not tell us?, instead of typing out smart ass comments like "Do some research" and "that's why your tickets are so expensive kids" there really is no need for this condescending carry on.

Out of respect to the dead and their relatives we'll leave this here, but first of all, the o2 is one of the most expensive venues in Europe to insure and rent, in its class, in all europe(look up what its owner is going through, thats another reason) and second, i'm sorry, didnt mean to be patronising, i was at that smashing pumpkins gig, down front and it was terrifying. But i'm not naming others, but the death at Ocean colour scenes show was equally as tragic, and there were others. No reason to lie to you, no need to be right either. I worked there, just letting you know about it.
    it was never fit for purpose as the point. on any level.

• Advertisement

as a coincidental addendum to that, if you watch the extras on PJs touring band 2000 dvd, in the europe montages, theres footage of Ed from the point gig of that year,pausing on top of an amp, and stage diving into the crowd. he landed hard on a young guy and girl and inadvertently injured them and himself rather badly, this during Black..the gig ended there. (Pj have never ended with black)
    they later sued and it was settled out of court. If you watch the clip, you dont get to see him actually land. you can figure out why yourself im sure;)

Ed has never stage dived since. This, and then Roskilde a few weeks later put a stop to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

stankratz wrote: »
    ..But it seriously could be worse, Scotland and Wales haven't gotten a gig in eons, neither has Greece. Spain and Portugal last got a gig in 2010 like us. Plus big ol' shiny London, outside of a festival appearance in 2012, haven't gotten a proper gig since 2009.
    Here in Finland Pearl Jam was only once - supporting Neil Young summer tour -93. Year before that they canceled festival gig just same day it was suppose to happen.. I am still disappointed for that :-(

So you Irish are lucky bastards with all PJ gigs you've got so far :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Milton Keynes was epic alright. I got a good laugh out of his "Four pints and a carrier" joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

david75 wrote: »
    as a coincidental addendum to that, if you watch the extras on PJs touring band 2000 dvd, in the europe montages, theres footage of Ed from the point gig of that year,pausing on top of an amp, and stage diving into the crowd. he landed hard on a young guy and girl and inadvertently injured them and himself rather badly, this during Black..the gig ended there. (Pj have never ended with black)
    they later sued and it was settled out of court. If you watch the clip, you dont get to see him actually land. you can figure out why yourself im sure;)

Ed has never stage dived since. This, and then Roskilde a few weeks later put a stop to it.

Any links for more info on this??? I didn't know about it and am interested to read more but can't find anything online

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ts_editor

finhex wrote: »
    Here in Finland ... they canceled festival gig just same day it was suppose to happen..
    You ever heard of Garth Brooks?

• Advertisement
Advertisement