Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live at the Marquee Cork - 10 July 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Very different setlist to last year - lots of songs they haven't performed in a long time. I won't post it in case people want to keep it a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gary at black house

We're fairly likely to get something similiar right?

That's the thing with NY and CH - impossible to tell !!!!

Very unusual to see a NY and CH set with no powder finger or hey hey

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

If somebody is gonna post the set list, could they please use Spoiler Tags!

Great to hear they have mixed things up tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bugman99

Great setlist last night in Iceland. Songs 2, 4 and 10 in particular. 4 and 10 are from my favourite crazy horse album so would be delighted to hear them in Cork. There's an image of the printed setlist about online too which includes a few different (and very cool) options for the encore.

• Advertisement

Bugman99 wrote: »
    Great setlist last night in Iceland. Songs 2, 4 and 10 in particular. 4 and 10 are from my favourite crazy horse album so would be delighted to hear them in Cork. There's an image of the printed setlist about online too which includes a few different (and very cool) options for the encore.

It also, intriguingly, says set list v2 in the top right hand corner. Can't post the link. You'll find it on the Sugar Mountain Neil Young Setlist Database if interested

Is it wrong to not know what v2 means? I'd hazard a guess a "version," until someone corrects me...

Is it wrong to not know what v2 means? I'd hazard a guess a "version," until someone corrects me...

Yeah it means version, so there may be an alternative setlist

Bugman99 wrote: »
    Yeah it means version, so there may be an alternative setlist

That's cool. And we're show 2, so this should be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

I would assume that the "v2" setlist and the lack of Hay Hey and Powderfinger, etc. are due to Billy being gone for the tour.

• Advertisement

tracert wrote: »
    I would assume that the "v2" setlist and the lack of Hay Hey and Powderfinger, etc. are due to Billy being gone for the tour.

I was thinking that earlier, it wouldn't surprise me if it had something to do with it but I can't get my head around why. Perhaps this setlist is just more suited to the new bass player? I'm sure the stand in bassist for Neil Young and CH knows how to play the songs on v1 as well as the songs on v2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Rick Rosas has been playing with Neil Young for years and could play anything from Youngs back catalogue in his sleep.

To compensate for Billy Talbot's harmonies, 2 backing singers have been added, so the choice of material has nothing to do with Talbots absence.

I agree its an impressive setlist but be aware that was Youngs first gig ever in Iceland and as a result, probably threw in a lot of crowd pleasers.

I'd be made up if we get the same (particularly song #2).

I don't think Neil does "crowd pleasers"

For me the setlists from earlier this year were more crowd pleasing, if it wants to be called that, I agree that Neil wouldn't be doing it for that purpose entirely. I wouldn't say I'm a diehard fan, certainly haven't listened to all of the albums (yet), but I knew more on the older setlists than the most recent one. That might be just a personal point of view than a general one.

Anyway, is the Marquee smoking or non smoking?

anyone know the stage time for tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EoghanOS9

s8n wrote: »
    anyone know the stage time for tonight ?

Yeah wondering the same thing myself??

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

According to the Live at The Marquee twitter account it's:

"Please note the stage times for Tomorrow: @riptidemovement: 7:30pm // @Neilyoung & Crazy Horse: 8:30pm #LATM14"

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mouzone

Loving the Iceland setlist, bit of everything. New songs, rarely played songs, unreleased songs, covers and old reliables. Hopefully there wont be a repeat of last year of people complaing about not enough "Harvest" or "Goldrush" songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ringthebells

Are Riptide Movement any good? May stay a little bit later in the pub before heading to Marquee tonight if not tbh. Have heard of them but haven't heard any of their songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

Riptide Movement are well worth a look if you can make it down in time for them. Have seen them a couple of times and they come across much better live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re" lHopefully there wont be a repeat of last year of people complaing about not enough "Harvest" or "Goldrush" songs".

There will you know. I've never been to a Neil Young show where there wasn't some element of complaining about the material played (OK maybe Slane was the exception).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Sickened to be missing this. There is none greater than Neil Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

well that was rather enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mrpdap

well that was rather enjoyable

Yes, it was v enjoyable, encore a bit short.

A general comment on gigs, can't people keep their phones in their pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

mrpdap wrote: »

This was a particular request of Jack White when he played Kilmainham, it led to a bloody super gig in the rain.

I'm convinced that a good portion of people go to gigs in Ireland just to say they were there and to stick up stupid selfies on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Brilliant gig. Even better than last year and it seemed like Neil was having a good time too. Hearing Don't Cry No Tears was a very nice surprise.
    mrpdap wrote: »

I don't mind if someone takes one or two photos during a gig but I can't understand why some people have to constantly record the concert. There was a woman beside me who was recording half the songs on her phone and I'm surprised nobody behind her complained as she was blocking the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnnyDun

Outstanding from Neil Young last night, Powderfinger was my highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

Outstanding gig last night. Enjoyed every last minute of it.

Thought his voice was great and the backing singers added a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I love when people post up pictures of gigs I was at. I download them as my own.

handy if I have poor seats.

• Advertisement

This just felt a bit off.

First off - I didn't realise the smoking ban is exempt in Cork !! The venue was like a smoke box !

Secondly - I've never seen it so bad with cameras. I too was at the Jack white show and it made for a better gig.

Onto the show itself....

I much preferred last year in the RDS. Don't get me wrong, it was a good show last night, but if I go to see Neil and Crazy Horse I expect a setlist much more leaning to classics such as Hey Hey, F##ckin up, down by the river etc....

Last nights show was much more what I would expect at a NY solo show (not a bad thing by the way), but considering we might not see him touring with the horse again, I just felt a little let down.

I also felt cheated by the encore (seriously, no Hurricane / cortez / dbtr)

Overall a good show and the sound was excellent. Highlights were the extended jam on love and only love and also powder finger. I have to admit it was great to finally hear after the gold rush live

Advertisement