Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live at the Marquee Cork - 10 July 2014

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gary at black house

One of the best and inspiring things ever. Incredible setlist. Great show. Peace and love.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hairway2Steven

Agreed on the encore, I was hoping Id be nearly brough to tears again when/if he unleashed Cortez, like last year... So i was disappointed...
    The gig itself was amazing, I enjoyed the setlist,but wish i could have transplanted a few songs from last years set into this venue, fu*kin up mainly, and cortez...
    Great venue all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

Went last night with my daughter - great show. After reading about last years gig in the RDS, I was a little apprehensive, but no fear, NY&CH delivered in spades. Love And Only Love was a fantastic opener and Rockin' In The Free World was amazing. Neil Young was in fine form and not a bit like he appears in the You Tube videos of last year's gig. I'm happy that my daughter got to see Crazy Horse as good as they've ever been. A longer encore might have been in order, but as for the rest of the gig - no complaints.
    Special credit to The Riptide Movement who won the crowd over effortlessly with their short set - rock gods in waiting.
    My first gig at the Marquee was a pleasant surprise - good venue, good sound and very well organised.

Using phones when they're unnecessary has become a force of habit more than anything else. We've become so connected to these devices we've become disconnected from what's happening before our eyes. Better laws need to be brought in for this, Jack White concert is a good example, I'm all for freedom but it's better for everyone involved without them.

What baffled me more is that a friend was told outside he couldn't bring his camera in to the venue, so he had to walk back and leave his bag elsewhere. Inside however, regardless of this, 10% of the crowd had their camera phones hoisted at all times, which to me is very backwards, unprofessional and contradictory.

That's talking point is my only fault with the Marquee. It's not something I can control so I didn't let it affect my time there, at the end of the day they're mostly spoiling their own time, when it affects others it becomes a problem, but it's something that can be rectified in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Using phones when they're unnecessary has become a force of habit more than anything else. We've become so connected to these devices we've become disconnected from what's happening before our eyes. Better laws need to be brought in for this, Jack White concert is a good example, I'm all for freedom but it's better for everyone involved without them.

What baffled me more is that a friend was told outside he couldn't bring his camera in to the venue, so he had to walk back and leave his bag elsewhere. Inside however, regardless of this, 10% of the crowd had their camera phones hoisted at all times, which to me is very backwards, unprofessional and contradictory.

That's talking point is my only fault with the Marquee. It's not something I can control so I didn't let it affect my time there, at the end of the day they're mostly spoiling their own time, when it affects others it becomes a problem, but it's something that can be rectified in the future.

I think generally at gigs they permit the smaller non professional, compact type cameras.

If the camera looks more elaborate, for example if it has a detachable lens, there is a possibility that they will not allow it to be used.

The gig was great, I enjoyed it and hopefully I'll see some clips of it on youtube :)

• Advertisement

There's actually a pretty good one of "The Days That Used To Be" on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Would have loved to have heard this song.

Still delighted I've finially seen him play live. Thrilled!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

s8n wrote: »
    This just felt a bit off.

First off - I didn't realise the smoking ban is exempt in Cork !! The venue was like a smoke box !

Did you complain at venue about smoking?

I did so two years ago at the O2 for gnr and I was totally ignored I swore never again would I go to the O2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re "I love when people post up pictures of gigs I was at. I download them as my own. "

I was gonna post some DSLR shots I took of this gig for everyones enjoyment, until I seen the above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

poundhound wrote: »
    Re "I love when people post up pictures of gigs I was at. I download them as my own. "

I was gonna post some DSLR shots I took of this gig for everyones enjoyment, until I seen the above post.

Ah, go on. I'd love to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Glad reports of this were good. Really didn't enjoy RDS last year so didn't want to buy tickets to this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Good thing I enjoyed the gig and didnt spend my time looking down the lens of a camera :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

@ wandatowell, sure why would you take photos yourself, when you can steal other peoples?

You probably downloaded the YouTube clip above, using your neighbours wifi.

Jaysus you're a bit precious about a few snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

Saddened to hear of the recent death of Rick Rosas who play bass with Crazy Horse for this tour, ironically standing in for Billy Talbot who had taken ill. Seemed like a cool guy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Aww, I hadn't heard. That is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Terribly sad news indeed!
    I was lucky enough to see Rick in action with Neil twice, fantastic musician.

Another irreplaceable great gone off to the great gig in the sky!

Terribly sad news indeed!
    I was lucky enough to see Rick in action with Neil twice, fantastic musician.

Another irreplaceable great gone off to the great gig in the sky!

Were those two gigs Malahide Castle in 2008 and earlier this year in Cork? I was at those gigs. I got a tremendous buzz when they began with the real long version of Love and Only Love at the Malahide Castle gig and then later on the 25 or so minute version of No Hidden Path!

It's very sad news, and strange to think that we saw him this year in Cork, only because of Billy Talbot's illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

He also played Neil's 2009 gig at the O2.

I took this shot from this years "Live at the Marquee" gig.

BEC62E486C9844C6A313A17CAAC6A04A-0000360871-0003608715-00640L-0C0EE1F70D8A459C8D7C957D536B3895.jpg

He also played Neil's 2009 gig at the O2.

I took this shot from this years "Live at the Marquee" gig.

BEC62E486C9844C6A313A17CAAC6A04A-0000360871-0003608715-00640L-0C0EE1F70D8A459C8D7C957D536B3895.jpg

Nice photo!

Thanks, you just reminded me about the 2009 gig, which was also very good.

I enjoyed hearing them play Lost in Space, it was nice to hear that song, and Mansion on a Hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yeah I think I saw him at the Glastonbury gig in 2009 - good memories. I'm pretty sure he played bass with Buffalo Springfield too when I saw them in 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Were those two gigs Malahide Castle in 2008 and earlier this year in Cork? I was at those gigs. I got a tremendous buzz when they began with the real long version of Love and Only Love at the Malahide Castle gig and then later on the 25 or so minute version of No Hidden Path!

It's very sad news, and strange to think that we saw him this year in Cork, only because of Billy Talbot's illness.

That's the ones alright.
    Missing the 2009 O2 gig is a real sore point for me!

I still have to see Neil in a good venue,

the RDS was an absolute joke.

The Cork Marquee is a perfect venue for atmosphere but dire for sound quality too, won't be going back there anytime soon!

Malahide was as good as I got, apparently not one of Neil's better nights, sounded pretty great to me. Also incredible to get to hear the late great Ben Keith on slide!

Advertisement