Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Davei141 wrote: »
    Huh? He did get himself beat up! He almost got knocked the F out in the first round by getting involved in a sloppy brawl despite his striking being poor. He reverted to what he knew as his UFC career was slipping away.

"Fought clever" Well it would be pretty damn stupid to go into round 2 with the same game plan as round 1, don't try to rewrite what happened and imply that it was some calculated decision by Pendred to wrestle Urbina from the start. People have watched the fight you know. "Bad thing on the internet" Yeah sure.

Is he wounded? No. Is he injured? No. Is he cut? No. He fought clever. He came out with the W and without any injuries. He's fresh to fight again. Think would ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is he wounded? No. Is he injured? No. Is he cut? No. He fought clever. He came out with the W and without any injuries. He's fresh to fight again. Think would ya.

Saying he planned to fight safe to avoid injury is fanciful to say the least,as a previous poster stated he almost got knocked out str8 off,seems like fighting clever was a last resort after getting almost knocked out.
    But in saying that he has been ringside to hear dana rant about the guys laying on top,so i imagine he will be a lot more active in the next fight,so hopefully we see a much improved cathal with a more aggressive ground game.
    Personally i hope he goes for take downs just with a more aggressive top game, i don't see him ever having great stand up,so he should play to his strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

MagicIRL wrote: »

This is delusional. I have watched the fight you know. I would imagine he hopes he doesn't cleverly almost get knocked the f out again in the next fight. Next you will tell me he did it on purpose to tire Hector out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,232 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Davei141 wrote: »
    This is delusional. I have watched the fight you know. I would imagine he hopes he doesn't cleverly almost get knocked the f out again in the next fight. Next you will tell me he did it on purpose to tire Hector out.

He was aware that he's need to fight again soon if he won. Whether or not you think that affected his approach is another matter, but you can't deny that a smart fighter should be aware of this.

His semi final match won't have the same restriction, he'll have 6 months + to recover if needed. The semi fights are always miles more interesting.

Mellor wrote: »
    He was aware that he's need to fight again soon if he won. Whether or not you think that affected his approach is another matter, but you can't deny that a smart fighter should be aware of this.

His semi final match won't have the same restriction, he'll have 6 months + to recover if needed. The semi fights are always miles more interesting.

He was aware sure, so why did he go out swinging recklessly in the first round? Hes definitely a smart guy no doubt about it but to say he fought clever in that fight is absurd, it took him getting rocked to his boots to go back to what he was good at.

Edit: Btw my delusional comment was regarding MagicIRL basically saying the first fight went according to the master plan. Not that he wasn't aware of it. I wouldn't call potentially getting a concussion as damage free either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Mellor wrote: »

Yes! Sense at last!

Lads, I'm not saying he went in there to get a big strike to the chin. Far from it. What I'm saying is that he went in to win and to not get hurt. He won, he didn't bleed or break anything. He has to fight again real soon, so if he gets paired up with someone who's had an absolute war, he'll be at an advantage from the off.

You can't believe that a professional fighter would risk it all by fighting reckless, do ya? I mean, surely any professional who's been around the cage as much as Cathal understands what recovering from fights is like and how he doesn't have time to do it in his current situation.

Where on earth are you getting i am saying he should have fought reckless? I am saying he DID fight reckless, and because of that recklessness he had to go into survival mode after round 1 and hold (a very willing) Urbina down for for the next 2 rounds. Saying he should have been a bit busier in a dominant position =/= be reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,752 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man anton blew it, so confident/cocky. Even disagreeing with the coach, I thought he still had it in the bag. Pat looked very sloppy like a street brawler but that takedown was f×cking sweeeeeet and he fully deserved the win.

Just one more fight and then we finally get to see Chris vs Gutter!

Yeah though i had a feeling he was gonna lose,walsh looks one of them naturally strong guys,worked all his life fishing with his father think he said that,had a feeling he was gonna surprise anton here.
    Love to see chris do something in the final fight,but i cant see anything other than a win for van buren,chris usually fighting at middleweight wont have any height or reach advantage over van buren who is taller than him and will likely be stronger too,so it is going to be a tough tough fight for him,be some achievment if he gets past him to the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

It's a bit frustrating when you see someone with Antons skill be beaten like that. The other dude looked like a drunken brawler. Bad show by Anton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Nice judo throw by Fat Pat though

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

True that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Nappy wrote: »
    It's a bit frustrating when you see someone with Antons skill be beaten like that. The other dude looked like a drunken brawler. Bad show by Anton.

a drunken brawler with a as tank that lasted more than a round, slick throws/slams and decent gnp

Over confidence from anton,wasn't that disappointed to see him lose he wouldn't listen to anyone giving advice either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

Can't wait to see Pendred in the UFC. He's going to be a megastar and will over take Connor IMEO. UFC is suited for guys with world class wrestling.

Can't wait to see Pendred in the UFC. He's going to be a megastar and will over take Connor IMEO. UFC is suited for guys with world class wrestling.

Real question here - how could Pendred possibly have world class wrestling?

I hope he does well,can't see him overtaking conor,he doesn't look to have the game required for a long stay in the ufc,laying and praying isn't popular with dana and i will be surprised if he lasts long in the ufc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

Real question here - how could Pendred possibly have world class wrestling?

I think now he's over in america, he will make that jump.

I think now he's over in america, he will make that jump.

Well the thing is the wrestlers in the states have been doing it their whole life, lived and breathed wrestling for years. I think thats what you need to become world class at it. But in fairness to him his wrestling looked pretty good for an Irishman. Dont remember too much wrestling growing up other then the odd mate doing a DDT on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

love to know when Chris fields is fighting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

love to know when Chris fields is fighting?
    Next week is the second to last fight of the first round is it not? Which will make it that he'll be fighting the week afterwards.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Fighter:_Team_Edgar_vs._Team_Penn#Tournament_Bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anton looks to have decent skills but in a way I was happy for him to lose. Was over confident and wouldn't take advice from coaches. I get that fighters have their own styles but look at who's coaching him. BJ Penn FFS. A man who has accomplished all in the sport.

Deserved to lose on that basis alone. His conditioning was horrendous but not sure if that's down to the way he landed when Pat flipped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Next week is the second to last fight of the first round is it not? Which will make it that he'll be fighting the week afterwards.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Fighter:_Team_Edgar_vs._Team_Penn#Tournament_Bracket

So is Pendred fighting Lima in the semi final? Thats a tough fight for him.

xtal191 wrote: »
    So is Pendred fighting Lima in the semi final? Thats a tough fight for him.

There's a chance, I'd say Dana will save that fight for the final. The coaches and Dana sit down and discuss the semi fights. Dana almost always saves the most marketable/exciting two and puts them on either end of the bracket which in this case would probably be Cathal vs Lima yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

There's a chance, I'd say Dana will save that fight for the final. The coaches and Dana sit down and discuss the semi fights. Dana almost always saves the most marketable/exciting two and puts them on either end of the bracket which in this case would probably be Cathal vs Lima yeah.

Lima has legitimate skills. Cathal will be a lot bigger than him though. Interesting fight. Lima was smothered big time his fight by a bigger opponent but his superior technique and cardio held long enough for him to get a nice win, capitalising on an opponent's mistake.

Cathal showed good cardio and has good strength, but will have the inferior striking for sure. Might be a decent fight.

I want to see Fields fight at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭chrisbag1986

this TUF fights are fuking ****eee.

only thing keeping me interested is Chris and Cathal.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭chrisbag1986

Plus

Hope chris ko's that wee rat Matt Van Buren out cold

Plus

Hope chris ko's that wee rat Matt Van Buren out cold

Yeah that Gutter guy is a dope. He was trying to say in the last episode that the decision should have went to his team cos the 9-9 scores cancel out.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

I think Luke Barnett might have let something slip in his interview with Andrew Mc Gahon over in Germany...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

Mattyz69 wrote: »
    I think Luke Barnett might have let something slip in his interview with Andrew Mc Gahon over in Germany...

What?

Advertisement