Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

JojoD51 wrote: »
    What?

He was asked about Pendred and Fields with regards the Dublin card, what he said could indicate how the fighter got on in TUF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Easy Rod wrote: »
    He was asked about Pendred and Fields with regards the Dublin card, what he said could indicate how the fighter got on in TUF.

About two minutes in to this clip.

http://severemma.com/2014/05/exclusive-video-interview-with-luke-barnatt-ahead-of-ufc-fight-night-berlin/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Not sure if i wanna click that link or not hope nobody says any spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well the thing is the wrestlers in the states have been doing it their whole life, lived and breathed wrestling for years. I think thats what you need to become world class at it. But in fairness to him his wrestling looked pretty good for an Irishman. Dont remember too much wrestling growing up other then the odd mate doing a DDT on me.

Tell that to a certain GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭chrisbag1986

hahahahahah comical. Big Luke trying to brush off his mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

hahahahahah comical. Big Luke trying to brush off his mistake

Definitely seemed that way, he let the cat outta the bag and backtracked pretty quick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Lads no spoilers please. I enjoyed that episode/fight. It was funny watching the idiots getting the scoring completely wrong then get all angsty when called on it. Anton was the same as every other past TUF fighter who thought he was the ****, had no steel or stamina when it got tough. Delighted that Pat won he seems like a good guy. Next fight should be great (I've just jinxes it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Glad to see Anton get beaten his comments before the fight were silly and his attitude in training was obviously pissing off the coaches.

How can you have coaches like John Hackleman and not listen to them when they tell you how to throw a hook?

He looked gassed and out of it after about 4 minutes and Pat Walsh stood with his hands down by his side for the entire fight, the standard of fighters isn't exactly amazing this season is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was watching those two UFC events over the weekend. Promo for the next episode of 'TUF' came on.

They pretty much showed the conclusion to the fight that's taking place this week.
    Long haired fella whose name escapes me gets a nasty looking eye gouge and looks like the fight is stopped then.

Granted there could be more to the story but FFS why would they show a potentially huge spoiler before it's aired? Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I suppose we'll know soon enough, but quite often when they show what looks like a spoiler it actually isn't.

Like in the past when 2 guys are fighting and let's say one is black, they'll show in the preview a guy being loaded into an ambulance and you get a glimpse of his skin colour and assume that they have spoiled the outcome.

Then it turns out that it was footage from the aftermath of a different fight entirely. Or it was the fight in question but the black fighter was the winner but got injured. Doesn't stop the speculation that it was a spoiler because it seems to show the black fighter being carried out after a loss.

Or maybe they did just screw up. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

crybaby wrote: »
    How can you have coaches like John Hackleman and not listen to them when they tell you how to throw a hook?

My take on it is very different. BJ's coaching team (at least what we''ve seen on camera) have not inspired confidence. They didn't even know what that Anton had never been out of the first round, never mind their cornering. Hackleman may be a good long term trainer, but the week before a fight is not the time to change something as fundamental as how someone throws a hook. It's not long enough to make it useable, and it makes the fighter start thinking rather than acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Clive wrote: »
    My take on it is very different. BJ's coaching team (at least what we''ve seen on camera) have not inspired confidence. They didn't even know what that Anton had never been out of the first round, never mind their cornering. Hackleman may be a good long term trainer, but the week before a fight is not the time to change something as fundamental as how someone throws a hook. It's not long enough to make it useable, and it makes the fighter start thinking rather than acting.

I agree. It's worth commenting on, but not worth spending time on. Coaching fighters over such a short time period should be about strategising, playing to your fighters' strengths and your opponents' weaknesses. Don't spend all your time drilling :rolleyes: Drilling is super duper important (and under appreciated generally speaking) but given the time and place, this is not so.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

I haven't heard anything from Penn's corner except 'Get up', which is just what you need to hear when you are being smothered by a wrestler - I'd say it would be hard to listen to your corner shouting this if you are used to the likes of Kavanagh and others

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

JojoD51 wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything from Penn's corner except 'Get up', which is just what you need to hear when you are being smothered by a wrestler - I'd say it would be hard to listen to your corner shouting this if you are used to the likes of Kavanagh and others

I noticed that as well. When a fighter is clearly struggling on the ground should the coach not be trying to help them up. "Left leg first, good, now..." etc. etc.

I do remember BJ shouting how he should get into guard from half guard but it wasn't listened to, so saying he just shouted "Get up" isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

You got to remember BJ is a UFC champion. He's not a champion coach. 6 weeks to work with fighters isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Nappy wrote: »
    You got to remember BJ is a UFC champion. He's not a champion coach. 6 weeks to work with fighters isn't enough.

You see this all the time on TUF. One of the few fighters who has made a great cornerman is Matt Serra. He calls instructions instead of just shouting orders.
    (Except when he kinda undid a lot of it by just shouting "Don't you tap" at Joe Scarola)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,752 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Another boring fight with gassed decision. Dana splashing the cash and THAT was an eye poke! Bring on Fields and gutter next week, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Is this the worst season of TUF so far for fights? My god that was a waste of time.

Van Buren strikes me as a bloke who is very insecure and pretty stupid, looking forward to seeing Fields beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,787 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It's not too often chris has to look up in a weigh in. Genuinely excited for this fight. Hope chris takes his head off

• Advertisement

Fightwise the season has been crap but i have found it intriguing outside the cage, maybe it is the lack of pantomime crap from the coaches. I like watching the coaches get on in the current era of Dana White pushing fake feuds all over the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

There hasn't really been a decent fight since the opening episode. Gutter vs Fields should be good though hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

There hasn't really been a decent fight since the opening episode. Gutter vs Fields should be good though hopefully.

I dunno, with all these lacklustre fights so far you'd think they'd pump up Fields v Gutter more in the preview if it was an anyway decent fight but it just seemed to breeze over it and jump into the semi-final picks w/ the coaches. I'm not optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭chrisbag1986

bad match again? didnt watch it as was busy all day yesterday.

Aye, hope Fields knocks him out or puts him to sleep. That boy is a slabber.

Just hope that fields doesn't get beat in general, and hopefully not by submission or tko/ko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Yeah the fight was pretty grim again. Fair play to the dude with long hair(I never remember there names) for fighting on after the eye poke, he could hardly see. Quick question - if he had said at that stage(1/2 way thru 2nd round) that he couldn't continue would it have went to the judges or would he lost as being unable to continue?

The coaches challenge was quite funny, Frankie didnt see to chuffed at a kayaking race against a Hawaiian though.

I'm not gonna see any more episodes of this series because I'm going on holiday next week, fingers crossed the Irish lad win and get to fight for the contracts on finals night.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,752 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Devastator wrote: »
    Quick question - if he had said at that stage(1/2 way thru 2nd round) that he couldn't continue would it have went to the judges or would he lost as being unable to continue?.

Most likely Dana would have f*cked everyone out of it and stormed off while the judges had a game of rock, paper, scissors to see who goes through to the semi's!

My gf is watching this series with me, she doesn't usually watch MMA and I find myself every week saying "Just so you know, UFC fights aren't usually this $hit, this is awful, definitely not the standard of the UFC". As every episode passes, I think she is believing me less and less :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I must admit I did not know much about Chris Fields before tuf but I will follow his career after this, he seems like a good chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Most likely Dana would have f*cked everyone out of it and stormed off while the judges had a game of rock, paper, scissors to see who goes through to the semi's!

My gf is watching this series with me, she doesn't usually watch MMA and I find myself every week saying "Just so you know, UFC fights aren't usually this $hit, this is awful, definitely not the standard of the UFC". As every episode passes, I think she is believing me less and less :(.

Ha know what you mean, I would not choose these fights to introduce someone to the wonderful sport that is mma :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,232 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nappy wrote: »
    It's a bit frustrating when you see someone with Antons skill be beaten like that. The other dude looked like a drunken brawler. Bad show by Anton.
    For a drunken brawler, he pulled off a Harai Goshi that Rousey or Lombard would have been proud of.
    Clive wrote: »
    Hackleman may be a good long term trainer, but the week before a fight is not the time to change something as fundamental as how someone throws a hook. It's not long enough to make it useable, and it makes the fighter start thinking rather than acting.
    I get what you mean about changing basic stuff so close to a fight. But this was a minor tweak, what Anton was doing (trying to stop the punch on the target, rather than follow through) was completely wrong on fundamental level.
    The guy was a bjj black belt, all 3 of his wins by submission, he should of been lapping up the input from Hackleman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What a load of absolute ****e that fight was. Fair enough, Mike King had a serious impairment vision wise but it was dreadful.

Hopefully next week's fight is good. Been an absolutely dreadful season.

Advertisement