Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disability Allowance advice

• 13-12-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a long term disease that I will never get cured for. I am receiving some treatment and it will be ongoing and have scans/tests/apts with consultants every 3 months. I have been on sick benefit last 2 years as I have been undergoing treatment.
    This sick benefit ends this month and I don't think I am well enough to go back to work.
    I am 3 years off retirement age.
    Can someone please tell me what options I might have?
    Is the disability allowance means tested? What is the limit of savings to qualify for it?
    Also does anyone know the waiting list? If I apply for disability, how long will it be before I'm told if I have been successful or not?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Disability allowance is means tested and you can have up to 50k in savings and still get the full rate.

Invalidity Pension is not means tested, so your savings don't matter.

Both DA & IP claims can take anything from 12-18months, if it goes to appeals.

While waiting for a claim to be processed you can claim Supplementary Welfare Allowance but the most you can have in savings to qualify for full rate of €186pw is 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭missyver

Thanks so much for your help.

So if it takes a year to find out whether I receive it or not and I don't qualify for the supplement payment, then I have no money coming in for the year?

Seems bit harsh really doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭jack7

It might not take too long, they have extra staff to help get through applications. Your local TDs office should be able to help you

Advertisement