Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangling earth wire in hot press

Options
  • 13-12-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

When I took some stuff out of my hot press yesterday I noticed a dangling wire - a green and yellow flex with a bit of copper poking out at the end.
    I got a bit of a fright, but I'm thinking it may always have been there, because I can't see anything around that it would have been attached to.

From googling, I think it's an earth wire. If I follow it up it goes around the cold water tank (which is above the hot water cylinder shown in the photo) and then off somewhere else (there are a line of wardrobes beside the hot press all the way back to the fuse board).

In case it's relevant, it's an early 80's apartment and I remember when I was getting ceiling lights that I was told that there was no earthing which meant I was supposed to stick to plastic light fittings rather than metal ones.

See photo attached of the dangling wire. Is this something to be worried about? Do I need to get an electrician out? Could I just stick it to the wall of the hot press with some insulating tape? Should I cover the copper bit at the end with tape also, or could I electrocute myself if I go near it! :eek:

Logic tells me that it can't have just sprung free from somewhere and has likely been that way for years, and I had my bathroom redone about 18 months ago with some electrics involved etc so I presume things are OK. But then I look at the dangling wire and think that can't be right! I know nothing about electrics, so would be brilliant if someone knew if the wire is OK as is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Looks like it should be connected to the silver bonding strap that's attached to the copper pipe under the shelf

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

Many thanks for replying Meercat. I moved the wire over near this clip and can see that it is just the right length, so that makes sense. Do you think I would need to get a special screw etc to attach it back on to this clip, or is it a case of trying to feed it through a gap in the clip and it doesn't really matter how it is attached?
    Is it dangerous if I was just to tape it to the wall instead if I can't figure how out to connect it to the clip?
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

It is important that you connect it back up to the pipe. It looks like the screw is still intact at the bottom of the bonding strap. Loosen the screw at the bottom and push the cable under the screw and tighten backup good and tight. Pull on it to make sure it doesnt come free as it will come out again if its loose...

Thanks so much for the instructions Diggerdunne. I haven't a clue about these things. I've tried to screw it back in now and have attached a photo - is this what you meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

No the front of that screw head under the washer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Without lugs on the earth wires, them straps never make a great termination point for 10 square earth wire. Splitting the 7 strands into 3 and 4 helps if its just a single earth wire, but lugs all the way should be a requirement imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Potentially it was the expansion/contraction of the pipes as they heated and cooled, but it could be related to the work on the bathroom.

Heard of someone who's house burnt down after a similar incident.

Best to have an electrician check it out. you might also raise it with your landlord / management company.

Victor wrote: »
    Potentially it was the expansion/contraction of the pipes as they heated and cooled, but it could be related tot eh work on the bathroom.
    The screw is independent of the pipe diameter. Them screws simply do not get a good grip on a 10 square wire clamped under one side of the screw. It wouldnt take much to pull it out, no matter how tight the screw is.
    Heard of someone who's house burnt down after a similar incident.
    Caused by a bonding earth disconnection? Interesting. But likely also not the real cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bruthal wrote: »
    Caused by a bonding earth disconnection?
    Sorry, it was the wiring to the immersion itself worked loose over the years due to the expansion / contraction.

Thanks for all the replies. I own the place so I'll try and get an electrician out to look at it so. Don't want the place burning down!! :( :eek:
    I also noticed that one of the pipe valve turners at the wall had fallen off (the big round red things with holes around the side). I think part of the green and yellow wire had been close to this. So my theory is that at some stage when I put more towels and stuff in the hot press, the wire got tugged and knocked the red valve turner off the pipe and then came out of the silver clasp with the pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

You don't need an electrician.

Just loosen the screw as described and push the earth wire under the washer then tighten screw as best you can.

There's thousands of these being used around the country and I've yet to hear of one of them causing a fire because it simply wouldn't.

It's part of the earth network in the house and reduces the risk of you receiving a shock through the copper piping/water in your home. You can be sure there's plenty of houses without these straps also.

Honestly don't waste your money getting a spark out unless there's other work you need doing around the house.

Thanks so much for explaining things Mr Fred. I'd rather not pay a hefty call out and have the hassle of trying to get an electrician out pre Xmas, but obviously if it was dangerous that's a different story.

I had found a tutorial with good pictures at http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/earth_wire.htm so I can see now what people meant by lugs and I can see that would be a better approach alright. But I've screwed the wire back under the washer now and it's holding very well and I'll be very aware of this from now on to check regularly that it's still in place.

Thanks again to everyone for all their help on this - much appreciated.

The link doesnt seem to show how to connect 2 lugs to the earth terminal.

Both lugs back to back is required, due to the offset they have in their shape, for anyone that might be inclined to connect 2 lugs to an earth strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The link doesnt seem to show how to connect 2 lugs to the earth terminal.

Both lugs back to back is required, due to the offset they have in their shape, for anyone that might be inclined to connect 2 lugs to an earth strap.

100% agree, years ago when i was working on corporation spec houses, bonding terminations with lugs was a requirement, back to back was the only way to go. The inspectors would swing out of the cables, loose lug termination was a common issue too.

Outside of that, I use to do the two by three core split with the 7th core twisted around the base of the two, and twist them all back together again on the far side of the termination screw.

This method has many arguments against it, twisting the cores etc. but it was one strong connection.

there is a knack to bonding straps alright, a good hold and twist of the strap as you tighten generates a good deal of play on the clamping bolt.

To be fair lads any spark worth his salt knows how to connect two lugs together it's not a black art.

You'd have some craic trying to connect 2x 240sq lugs and not doing it back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Great stuff, but an electrician didn't ask about 240.sq.mm cables the picture shows a domestic installation exactly what we have discussed.

Stoner wrote: »
    Great stuff, but an electrician didn't ask about 240.sq.mm cables the picture shows a domestic installation exactly what we have discussed.

Same principle and what an awesome job ye did of turning it into a major drama.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    what an awesome job ye did of turning it into a major drama.

Non sparks asked about earthing in hot press. You bring 240 square lugs into it. Dramatical indeed.

Non sparks asked about earthing in hot press. You bring 240 square lugs into it. Dramatical indeed.

HAHA could you be any more childish.

So is it not the same principle be it 240 or 10sq?

You sir were being dramatic and almost landing the op with an unnecessary bill just before christmas.

Keep up the good work. :rolleyes:

I've said my piece.

HAHA could you be any more childish.

So is it not the same principle be it 240 or 10sq?

You sir were being dramatic and almost landing the op with an unnecessary bill just before christmas.

Keep up the good work. :rolleyes:

I've said my piece.

what an awesome job ye did of turning it into a major drama.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

might be no harm to call an electrician..doesn't look like all the pipework is bonded anyhow

Advertisement