Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

July 11
    jimd2 wrote: »
    Either way, I am happy that I didnt jump at this so called bargain alert and plan my holidays around it.

Bets of luck to those that got stung especially to their children but i am in no way surprised.

Look this is the only reason I responded. Luckily , though time will tell, I'm not in the affected date range. However if someone is affected and had tried to get an affordable family holiday which is now being messed up even though they have accommodation sorted its a bit more than your average bargain alert fail where someone doesn't get the tablet they wanted etc.
    As you mentioned you didn't bite on this one yet you said you hope that you don't see a lot of people moaning about getting stung.
    Either have a heart or don't subscribe to the thread. What's the point in sticking the boot in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

July 18
    Well said, Conar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

July 4
    unkel wrote: »
    Well said, Conar.

Ditto..

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Guess you missed the deal then;)
    No I didn't miss it mate. I saw it but decided to pass. Other options for holidays this year. Spent 3 weeks in France last year so it would have been handy then but tbh the difference wouldn't have made a major difference either way.

Thinking of going land ridge on the way out next time and Brittany Ferries back. Will probably go next year and, after this news, probably won't consider LDLines.

Jayzus you're totally pi$$ed you didn't get the original deal.. :pac:
    No, planning to use the freebie from Irish Ferries and go to the UK this year. So not pi$$ed off.

Feel bad for those that lost out but quite content that I didn't change my plans around because of these ridiculously low prices. That would have been a bummer.

I do sometimes wonder about the sheep mentality on Bargain Alerts and think that people purchase because it's a bargain and not because the product is something these people actually want to purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

July 4
    No, planning to use the freebie from Irish Ferries and go to the UK this year. So not pi$$ed off.

Feel bad for those that lost out but quite content that I didn't change my plans around because of these ridiculously low prices. That would have been a bummer.

I do sometimes wonder about the sheep mentality on Bargain Alerts and think that people purchase because it's a bargain and not because the product is something these people actually want to purchase.

Looking forward to having a drink on the ferry 27th June with all those sheep :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

mcgarrett wrote: »
    Looking forward to having a drink on the ferry 27th June with all those sheep :D

Me too........ Baaaaaaaaaaaa !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

July 4
    Recalling the previous posts of people who got in on the first 200 booking intro offer, most of these were for peak sailings were they saved big money, and given the service is only suspended until June 18th it would look like these are safe

As someone in travel forum noted they surely did a cost benefit analysis and decided it was cheaper to move customers up to June 18th to another carrier rather than lose money on the route. Post June 18th must be a different story, plus they are taking new bookings post June 18th currently which would suggest these are safe.

And again for the people booked for sailing before June 18th (me included) LD Lines are moving people cost free to Stena Line (AKA Celtic Link) so while you've to sail a day earlier / later it's not likely to ruin someone holiday plans.. Or offering a full refund. I was able to rebook on IF for only €36 more.. My main reason for choosing LD Lines was a sailing into St. Nazarie and saving some milage in France with a young family, but if i now need to go to Roscoff, then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I don't think that's right. The people who grabbed the bargain really, really wanted it - to the extent that they were prepared to overlook the possible downsides. (Anyone who mentioned such possible downsides got severely told off.)
    I don't blame anyone for jumping at the chance to have a holiday that might otherwise be out of reach but no point in being naive either.

First Up wrote: »
    I don't think that's right. The people who grabbed the bargain really, really wanted it - to the extent that they were prepared to overlook the possible downsides. (Anyone who mentioned such possible downsides got severely told off.)
    I don't blame anyone for jumping at the chance to have a holiday that might otherwise be out of reach but no point in being naive either.
    Point taken and I agree with you. However my point was that there was always a certain risk with this booking and I was pointing out that people should take that into consideration before making a booking and desist from complaining if things start to go pear shaped as it has for some.

I saw the deal quite early and did consider it as we go to France every 2nd year or so. However we decided do trip to UK on the free trip based on last years IF deal. Can't say it was the fact it was a new route that swayed us as we had our UK trip planned.....N Wales, Peak District, London & South Coast in 2.5 wks. In fact our kids are looking forward to this just as much as France last year which was a fantastic holiday.

• Advertisement

As expected the begrudgers and those whose who think they know it all and the those who think they are better than some others are loving the news of peoples holiday plans being discommoded.....

Sad sad people.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    As expected the begrudgers and those whose who think they know it all and the those who think they are better than some others are loving the news of peoples holiday plans being discommoded.....

Sad sad people.

Look in the mirror pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

August 8
    Just saw this. Booked in for august. Hope everyone gets sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

LD Lines have been great to deal with on this. (aside from the initial email which was short on detail).
    I don't judge companies on mistakes, but on how they deal with them, and I have been happy enough with their reaction once I got talking to the right person.
    I'm going a day earlier than planned, that's all. Hardly the end of the world. Particularly considering the price I paid.
    Hopefully the St. Nazaire route picks up, but I wouldn't expect a company to bankrupt themselves to suit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

First Up wrote: »
    In fairness to LD they have been very unlucky with the weather since they launched the Rosslare run. They will have had projections for traffic (99% freight at this time) and these will have gone out the window. Bear in mind that IF takes January off and BF is essentially a summer service.
    I suspect they took the decision to cut their losses based on advance bookings over the winter. A bit of a PR disaster but it was a crazy time to launch a new service. Fingers crossed the summer sailings will be OK.

Who are BF?
    Sorry if that is stupid but I am not sure what it means.

Who are BF?
    Sorry if that is stupid but I am not sure what it means.

Brittany Ferries. Sail from Cork to Roscoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭raher1

August 22
    mcgarrett wrote: »
    Sheep!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

I imagine LD lines' crossing from Rosslare to St-Nazaire will be a success.

Most Irish people do not take the ferry before 20 June anyway because there is still a little over a week of primary school left.

Arriving in St-Nazaire is 170 kilometers short of where I am going (Bénodet) which is fine. Roscoff is slightly nearer but then again I only[aid 325 euro for the crossing (including 4x4 and a cabin with sea view)....

In 2012 I paid nearly 1,400 euro for the pleaseure of travelling with Irish Ferries. They may on-board entertainment for the kids (show etc) - LD lines don't - But apparently their restaurant and bar are lovely.

We will see. At least they provided people with alternative travel arrangements and did not leave them high and dry like some companies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    Time for a "what will your kids be doing to pass the time" section on this thread I think.
    Given that there is no wi fi.

We have portable dvd players and the kids will choose a few new movies in Heatons next week.
    We have only one tablet so some apps or games downloaded on that.I could really do with another cheap tablet to load up with games.
    They have grown out of the Nintendo ds in fairness but an R4 card loaded up with games was brilliant last time we travelled.
    I'll have an e reader.

Any other ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

July 18
    Along with what you said, we'll have playing cards, uno, yatzee which are all small games that the kids love playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    We will see. At least they provided people with alternative travel arrangements and did not leave them high and dry like some companies!

I was seriously impressed with their customer service, they rang me in March to let me know my crossing for the end of May had been cancelled, but that I could exchange my tickets for any dates with Stena (Celtic Link) I wanted. I went for the same dates, but started a new job in the mean time, and those dates no longer suited. So I rang them again a couple of weeks ago, and they rebooked us onto an LD crossing for August, at no charge. Not even an admin fee.

The same sailing with Irish Ferries is over €800 and we originally paid €250 with LD. I have no kids, so I'll happily spend a day each way in a dinghy if it means driving to Europe for that price :D

Any other boardsies going out on the 15th of August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

juneg wrote: »
    Time for a "what will your kids be doing to pass the time" section on this thread I think.

We have portable dvd players and the kids will choose a few new movies in Heatons next week.
    We have only one tablet so some apps or games downloaded on that.I could really do with another cheap tablet to load up with games.
    They have grown out of the Nintendo ds in fairness but an R4 card loaded up with games was brilliant last time we travelled.
    I'll have an e reader.

Any other ideas?

I normally travel with IF and off season (wouldn't pay those crazy prices!) but I
    am a big kid at heart and treat the voyage as day 1 of the holiday - don't know if you'll have a tv in the room but it's good for downtime before sleep - card games - board games - if it's a calm sailing dolphin or (love to see them) whale watching outer deck - I did see a pod of dolphins about 2 hours from Rosslare on the way back from France - it's amazing how much time can pass hoping to see something! Art - lots of paper and markers, or a little project if the kids are old enough to document their voyage taking photos onboard, writing things down - try and make it an adventure! hope you enjoy your holiday! Looking forward to travelling over in Sept/Oct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'll have an e reader.

Any other ideas?

Board game? Playing cards? Chat? Explore the boat?

I'm a software developer and this post saddened me... :(:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭murria

Any other ideas?

When mine were young I used to make up a surprise bag that they got when we set sail. I would include things like Play Doh, sticker books, disposable camera, small Lego, Polly Pocket sets, colouring books and crayons and bubbles for blowing off the top deck. I would also make up a treasure hunt, so for instance I would put a picture of a red shoe and say six boxes along side and they would have to go around the boat and tick off each box, then maybe four clocks, three blue cars (assuming there is an outdoor car deck) etc. etc.

When they got older we would play Uno, Yahtzee and Mastermind. This sounds mad now, but we used to play a game where they had to name every person in every house on our road, but they loved it. They also liked drawing (Google Zentangles they keep you going for ages) and reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    J o e wrote: »

Its a 22 hr sailing....followed by a 5 hour drive ( hoping no one is vomiting as usual), . and not our first as a family

get over yourself

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

J o e wrote: »

Have to agree with this! My 3 see the ferry as an adventure and the start of their holiday. I'd absolutely hate for them to have their nose stuck in electronic devices for the duration 😢

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its a long journey, and it'll seem very long on the LD Lines trip as it's all during the daytime. Plenty of time to play computer games, read a book, play cards, get sick over the side etc...

loyatemu wrote: »
    its a long journey, and it'll seem very long on the LD Lines trip as it's all during the daytime. Plenty of time to play computer games, read a book, play cards, get sick over the side etc...

Its not all daytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

July 4
    That 22 hour ferry journey doesn't bother me one bit knowing that I only have 58 miles to travel when I disembark.
    The annual 550 mile return trip from Cherbourg to the Vendee with roofbox, bikes, kitchen sink etc... has always had the concern of a puncture or breakdown attached to it.

Oh! and the €385 rtn fare for 7 people and two 4 berth cabins helped too :D

Roll on the 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ibebanging

Probably a bit off subject, I'm booked on ferry 18th of July. I'm driving a 2006 Nissan Primera, was wondering do I need to fit deflectors to the front lights or how would I find out ?

Thanks for any answers in advance !

• Advertisement

ibebanging wrote: »
    Probably a bit off subject, I'm booked on ferry 18th of July. I'm driving a 2006 Nissan Primera, was wondering do I need to fit deflectors to the front lights or how would I find out ?

If you expect to do any night driving, yes you should have them fitted. At a minimum its a courtesy to other drivers and it avoids the risk of being stopped and fined if you are noticed, even though the chances are slim.

I would recommend getting it done properly at a garage (anyone that does services should be able to do it no problem.) Its only a few minutes and a few quid. You can try it yourself but its a bit hit and miss.

However you probably won't be doing much night driving on holidays in mid summer so its your call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

July 11
    ibebanging wrote: »

Park close to a wall turn on the lights if they kick up to the left you either need deflectors or if your lucky your headlamps will be switchable should be a section in the owner manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 COCKPHESANT

Anybody sail on this crossing yet? if so what did you think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

August 22
    Thinking of booking this ferry in august. Any reviews yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

July 25
    Stab*City wrote: »
    Thinking of booking this ferry in august. Any reviews yet?

First sailing not until June 18th

August 22
    frash wrote: »
    First sailing not until June 18th

Cool guess ill hold on the few days so until i hear some sort of review.

I'm sailing on it on the 20th of June. I'm a guinea pig it seems. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭GeneralSherman

MidlandsM your 5 minutes of fame has come at last :) Now don't mess it up !

I will be travelling end of July with the family .. 4 kids. Normally with Irish Ferries we are all squashed into the one cabin ..bodies everywhere for €1200 at least. This year thanks to the Launch offer we have two 4-berth cabins, people carrier with large roofbox, trailer for the bikes and change from €450. Happy days even if the boat isn't 5-star as far as I'm concerned.

Looking forward to your review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭redmissb

August 1
    Also travelling end of July, what date are you sailing GeneralSherman? Have 4 kids also, though one will be in a cot but I only booked one cabin, half tempted to call and book a second one. I have a little ready bed for the 4 year old but I'm not sure there will be space on the floor with it as we'll have the cot there too.

We are on the July 25th sailing. You will hear us before you see us if we are on the same sailing. My kids are now 12, 10, 9 and 7 but when they were smaller we used to put the eldest on the ground in between the bunks and top and tail the two smallest in the same bunk. It was fine one night. When they were young once they fell asleep a tornado wouldn't wake them. Is that a possibility for you rather than the expense of an extra bunk and separating the family ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

sorry for the dumb question -
    I am travelling with 2 adults and 1 infant.
    on the booking page,
    should i select 4 Berth Cabin (Outside) - 1 cabin?
    or 2 cabin for 2 adults?

This ferry hasn't sailed yet so I would suggest ringing/emailing Ldlines. They can advise you. Consider if you need a cot and ask them if it fits the 2-berth cabin.

August 1
    I didn't think they had any 2 berth cabins, thought they were all 4 berth.

GeneralSherman we're on the same sailing! You will probably hear us before you can see us too:D Four kids age 13, 8, 4 and 22 months. My plan was to top and tail the 4 and 8 year olds but I can imagine the bickering. I figured if I could fit the small airbed on the floor with the cot we'd be sorted. Don't think I'll bother with the second cabin either way now we'll figure something out!

MidlandsM your 5 minutes of fame has come at last :) Now don't mess it up !

Looking forward to your review.

hehe, yeah, no pressure ehhh..........I'll be psoting pics and experience of the vessel and facilities on the 21st or 22nd ........as we sail the 20th. Pm me if I forget.

August 1
    hehe, yeah, no pressure ehhh..........I'll be psoting pics and experience of the vessel and facilities on the 21st or 22nd ........as we sail the 20th. Pm me if I forget.

I can't wait to hear your review, hope it's an enjoyable crossing:)

August 22

Probably wait until your review before i book.. Have have a good trip!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Tried to book in september but got nowhere, is this june to august only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Safe travelling MidlandsM. Really interested in this route, having tried all the others over the years.

redmissb wrote: »
    I can't wait to hear your review, hope it's an enjoyable crossing:)

no one more than I hope it an enjoyable crossing - it's a long one on a vessel that is no frills, but hey - at the price I stole it at, one can't complain even if they throw us all into steerage!:pac:
    Stab*City wrote: »
    Probably wait until your review before i book.. Have have a good trip!!

thanks, but please don't book/not book on my musings.
    vienne86 wrote: »
    Safe travelling MidlandsM. Really interested in this route, having tried all the others over the years.

no bothers....will be reporting......I think there is someone else here on boards travelling on june 20th too, so they might have some views too.

• Advertisement

August 22
    thanks, but please don't book/not book on my musings.

No pressure!! :)

Just looking for an informed opinion then ill make up my own mind. Just interested in the ship and wondering does it in any way shape up to the usuals (IF or Stena)..

Advertisement