Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Stab*City wrote: »
    No pressure!! :)

Just looking for an informed opinion then ill make up my own mind. Just interested in the ship and wondering does it in any way shape up to the usuals (IF or Stena)..

that, I can do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I'll be aboard with MidlandM and hope to have a pint or 10 with him :)
    AFAIK we are both going to same campsite too.
    I have 9,10,12 ,14 and a 43 yr old with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hope you have a good crossing and holiday, I won't be travelling with LD as my crossing was cancelled so instead I'll be Pont Avenning it:D
    It was a good deal but I couldn't see the point in driving to Rosslare to go to the same port as BF.
    It would mean another 6+hrs behind the wheel, and I'll be doing enough of that on the other side en route to Argeles sur mer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

August 1
    We are on the July 25th sailing. You will hear us before you see us if we are on the same sailing. My kids are now 12, 10, 9 and 7 but when they were smaller we used to put the eldest on the ground in between the bunks and top and tail the two smallest in the same bunk. It was fine one night. When they were young once they fell asleep a tornado wouldn't wake them. Is that a possibility for you rather than the expense of an extra bunk and separating the family ?.

Boards beers on tour July 25th!

Nemesis wrote: »
    I'll be aboard with MidlandM and hope to have a pint or 10 with him :)

Cool. Gonna need some beers for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I'm sailing on it on the 20th of June. I'm a guinea pig it seems. lol
    Nemesis wrote: »
    I'll be aboard with MidlandM and hope to have a pint or 10 with him smile.png

I'm there too but it's just me and my wife. I'm sure I'll see you all in teh bar at some stage on the Friday night.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'm there too but it's just me and my wife. I'm sure I'll see you all in teh bar at some stage on the Friday night.

great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

August 1
    July 25 and 5 more for the sailing.

bloody hell, the july 25th sailing is gonna be some booze cruise!

Getting sorted here, just a week to go, sailing next Friday. Kids are very excited.

the Norman Atlantic looks half decent.....hope its as clean and fresh as the "posed" pics are.

norman-atlantic-b1db3c5c639c735640d29eaa019b2b14.jpg

scintu-0c04d47222502e00ec57546e57d4450e.jpg

scintu-866fdbbf09bc824a9c8c11c98a591756.jpg

scintu-ccc36107ee4731dd19aa21c9853caeac.jpg

she looks to be docking in St.Nazaire in the next 2 hours or so, according to some ship tracking sites.

http://maritime-connector.com/ship/norman-atlantic-9435466/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

July 11
    does that bar look like it has only one beer tap ?

That'll never be enough....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    Those photos show its identical to its sister, the Celtic Horizon (now Stena). I went on her last october for a few days break to the Normandy beaches. It was very basic but for this price, well worth it.

The Horizon had more beer pumps behind the pillar you can see at the end. Furniture, fixtures, everything, identical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

July 25
    Do ships supply towels?
    I see them in the picture but not sure if I'd have expected them.

(spot the ferry Noobie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep they provide towels which feel like sandpaper on your skin and have the absorbancy of lino :)

However they do the job for a night.

Friday is getting close......

Gotta change the reg no of the car we're taking on the booking....I'm gonna email them in the morn, they'll hardly hit me for €30 to change a reg no?

anyone any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

July 25
    I didn't enter the reg at the time of booking. They told me it'll be entered at the port at no extra cost when I emailed customer service.

Edit: they actually said "Thank you for your email.Your vehicle details will be updated at the port when you arrive, there is no need to do this in advance." I just presumed it was free.

I didn't enter the reg at the time of booking. They told me it'll be entered at the port at no extra cost when I emailed customer service

cool, thanks - if they try and sting me for €30, I'll mention this. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Dying to hear how this ferry works out - looking forward to your reports, guys. Safe travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

We are travelling in August with LD Lines and are delighted with the price we got for the trip. Talking to people locally who work in the Ferry business and they are pretty sure they will finish up after this season. They set-up in Rosslare a good few years ago and shut shop abruptly that time. We will just be left then with the two big players and a high prices. I'd say the service will just be adequate as they will not be too worried about return business etc.

Well, it certainly seems they got the business/bookings, for the ferries they are running.

I just got a call from LdLines. The sailing is overbooked this Friday she says.

They were asking (very politely) would i consider giving up one of the 2 cabins we booked, in exchange for a full refund, and free dinner, and lunch and snacks. With the 5 of us, I reluctantly declined. If it was just the 4 of us, I'd have gave it up, but not with the 5 of us travelling.

Still, they were grand about my declining them.

Asked about the sailing, they said Yes, all is well, and running to Timetable.

Asked about a car reg change, they said it'll be fine, and it'll be amended when I go to check in in Rosslare. no charge. Cool.

Glad she was only ringing about that.....I had a dreadful thought in my head, she was ringing to cancel the ferry or something, which would ruin the holiday.......but all is well, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭GeneralSherman

It's a shame LD Lines wouldn't actually invest in some marketing for this route. I usually keep an eye on what is going on with flights and ferries year round and only for Boards I wouldn't have heard about this route. Celtic Link is only now being spoken of in the same breath as IF and BF and they have been running for a good few years. I think some holiday makers are unwilling to take a chance.... see this thread for evidence of that. We are all waiting for the first reviews for this ferry route. Then I would expect to see a lot more bookings next year if they can pull it off and provide a good service. Sainte Nazaire is such a good entry point for anyone driving to the Vendee or further South.

August 1
    Having travelled on BF, IF, CL (Stena) and soon LD, it appears that there is choice on the route and prices depend on your ABC grouping and your level of acceptable comfort. Having said all that LD will have to treat the service as one would any business. If we are happy with the experience then let us let LD know. They seem keen to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Jeez they don't advertise at all. I would have booked if I had heard of them before now. Crazy prices online now (but not as crazy as the others in fairness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Armelodie wrote: »
    Jeez they don't advertise at all. I would have booked if I had heard of them before now. Crazy prices online now (but not as crazy as the others in fairness)

I just checked prices in late July across the four Ireland-France operators. Basic price for car and two passengers - IF €554, LD €558, Stena €679, BF €778. Some variation in the accommodation available and cost. Stena and LD have fewer cabins and none are still available at that time so if you don't mind 17 (or 22) hours in a Pullman seat, they will be cheaper.

Direct comparisons are difficult because sailing dates and arival ports vary (Cherbourg, Roscoff, St Nazaire) but I'd say the competition has sharpened everyone's prices. Stena and IF are also offering bonus deals (kids free, discounts to UK) so all in all, it has got better for the consumer.

However the real bargains look to be behind us and good luck to those who got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sneachtaman

It would be amazing if they sailed direct to Spain. You can from the UK, but if you want to from Ireland you have to change boats in Saint Navaire

There would be a big market for this as a lot of people who go to France, drive down to Spain, and the drive, tolls, and cost of staying over are quite high.

I for one would consider a Rosslare to Santander (If any ferry companies are reading :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    I took the offer for giving up one of my cabins.

I got a refund of €196 plus breakfast and lunch free for the 5 of us on both sailings. I'd advise anyone to contact them if you have booked 2 cabins and feel you could manage with one. There is a substantial saving to be made on the cost of the journey and factoring in meals too.

Between the opening offer and this, They wont have made much money out of us in fairness!

It would be amazing if they sailed direct to Spain. You can from the UK, but if you want to from Ireland you have to change boats in Saint Navaire

There would be a big market for this as a lot of people who go to France, drive down to Spain, and the drive, tolls, and cost of staying over are quite high.

I for one would consider a Rosslare to Santander (If any ferry companies are reading :) )

The LD service goes Rosslare-St Nazaire-Gijon so no need to change boats. Just a very long sail. A direct Ireland-Spain would be great but I wonder if it would be economic.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Good for you Jueng. Are you sailing Friday too ?. Let us know how you get on space wise. Pictures preferrably :) Are they providing you with extra blankets and pillows for your cabin ?.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

July 11
    It seems like they have no sailings in booking system for 2015. I think sailing to France is low demand, considering that Britanny is also doing summer only and Celtic drama on profitability those routes might not so good. I think biggest problem is competition from "land bridge" which is much cheaper and quicker for anything but Iberian peninsula and west of France. Then there is problem of French tolls, if for example you go to Venice you can bypass France almost completely if arriving to Calais but from St-Nazaire tolls are claimed to be 160 Euro according to viamichelin.com.

July 4

Excuse me? Vulture?

This is still the bargain alerts forum right?

I was contacted by LD lines

July 4
    Good for you Jueng. Are you sailing Friday too ?. Let us know how you get on space wise. Pictures preferrably :) Are they providing you with extra blankets and pillows for your cabin ?.

No I am going on the 27th. Always bring an extra pillow and a small child will sleep in with me

It's a shame LD Lines wouldn't actually invest in some marketing for this route. I usually keep an eye on what is going on with flights and ferries year round and only for Boards I wouldn't have heard about this route. Celtic Link is only now being spoken of in the same breath as IF and BF and they have been running for a good few years. I think some holiday makers are unwilling to take a chance.... see this thread for evidence of that. We are all waiting for the first reviews for this ferry route. Then I would expect to see a lot more bookings next year if they can pull it off and provide a good service. Sainte Nazaire is such a good entry point for anyone driving to the Vendee or further South.

Spot on - I travel to France about four times a year. Though I often fly I am always watching the ferries as I really like the drive. But I only found out about this service on this thread on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

July 11

Well market is not so efficient, just as Ryanair was profitable on routes that never existed before someone can be profitable on Ireland - Spain route. Such route would also be outside ECA (zone where ships are restricted on pollution they generate) so it may be service using cheaper fuels than other routes in region.

• Advertisement

I heard you had to get off the boat if going down to Spain, is this not the case?
    First Up wrote: »
    The LD service goes Rosslare-St Nazaire-Gijon so no need to change boats. Just a very long sail. A direct Ireland-Spain would be great but I wonder if it would be economic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

August 8
    IWe are all waiting for the first reviews for this ferry route.

Whatever the review, we're all going!

1st August boardsies. I'm the one in the shiny gold outside cabin.

I heard you had to get off the boat if going down to Spain, is this not the case?

Don't know about that - would seem an unnecessary hassle. Same boat though.

Don't know about that - would seem an unnecessary hassle. Same boat though.

I heard that you 'can' get off the boat in St Nazaire en route. But I don't know if you HAVE to - I wouldn't be surprised if you do have to get off - could be hard to organise the loading of the decks otherwise.

Yes thats the reason I heard. Your car could block somebdy in that is getting off in France, so everybody has to get off and the reboard fresh. Turned me right off it this year. I'll try find out off them
    vienne86 wrote: »
    I heard that you 'can' get off the boat in St Nazaire en route. But I don't know if you HAVE to - I wouldn't be surprised if you do have to get off - could be hard to organise the loading of the decks otherwise.

• Advertisement

Yes thats the reason I heard. Your car could block somebdy in that is getting off in France, so everybody has to get off and the reboard fresh. Turned me right off it this year. I'll try find out off them

Wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of man to sort that in Rosslare.

Apart from a couple of months in summer, freight traffic is the bread and butter and Cherbourg has a lot more appeal for that than St Nazaire. I'd say LD are seeing how this year goes and will decide later if they want to run a summer service in 2015. I suspect their original business plan has long been cast overboard and the launch offer was probably a bit of a disaster - great for those who got it but not sustainable and possibly a loss maker.

As the prices for July show, there isn't much in it between the four operators so it will be down to the service offering and convenience. We'll see how LD holds up.

I used the Stena service from Cherbourg a couple of months back and I think their vessel is similar to LD's. It is definitely more a "truckers" ferry than a passenger vessel and 16-17 hours was plenty long enough.

Headlight deflectors, warning triangle and spare bulb kit bought. Breakdown cover added to VHI Multitrip policy. New clothes bought and hair cut. I'm ready to go. Bring on Friday!

August 1
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    Headlight deflectors, warning triangle and spare bulb kit bought. Breakdown cover added to VHI Multitrip policy. New clothes bought and hair cut. I'm ready to go. Bring on Friday!

add hi vis vest for the driver, GPS without speed camera warnings, breathalyser (must be NF stamped, then again not?) and have a great time.

Wally Runs wrote: »
    add hi vis vest for the driver, GPS without speed camera warnings, breathalyser (must be NF stamped, then again not?) and have a great time.

Yep have them already but thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

July 11

There is no fine for not having breathalyser the law was postponed indefinitely and the proposed fine was only €11 anyway so no need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

July 11

You need hi-vis for everybody not just the driver.
    Also these must be accessible inside the car and not in the boot.

Yes, I am in France and can confirm the need for the vests - must be the yellow-green colour rather than the orange, I am told....the cops do ask to see them if you are stopped. The breathalyser thing seems to have been forgotten, as I don't see them on sale at all here now - it was widely thought to have been a political thing just before the departure of the last president. I am using a hire car right now and it has the vest and warning triangle in it, but no breathalyser.

Actually, I think the vest is a good idea anyway, if you ever need to stop on a busy road, so I keep them in the car the whole time in Ireland.

Safe driving!

Wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of man to sort that in Rosslare.

It would probably depend on the numbers of cars going to Spain vs France....not that simple.

vienne86 wrote: »
    It would probably depend on the numbers of cars going to Spain vs France....not that simple.

Surely just a matter of the boarding sequence. Ferries do that anyway - sorting cars, trucks, camper vans etc. into different sections. This can't be the only ferry in the world that stops at more than one place - look at Greece.

• Advertisement
Advertisement