Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

vienne86 wrote: »
    Yes, I am in France and can confirm the need for the vests - must be the yellow-green colour rather than the orange, I am told....the cops do ask to see them if you are stopped. The breathalyser thing seems to have been forgotten, as I don't see them on sale at all here now - it was widely thought to have been a political thing just before the departure of the last president. I am using a hire car right now and it has the vest and warning triangle in it, but no breathalyser.

Actually, I think the vest is a good idea anyway, if you ever need to stop on a busy road, so I keep them in the car the whole time in Ireland.

Safe driving!

I've always just carried one - and an orange reflective running bib at that. Must look into that before the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭redmissb

August 1
    You need hi-vis for everybody not just the driver.
    Also these must be accessible inside the car and not in the boot.

No you just need one for the driver.

http://shop.theaa.com/store/home/aa-reflective-emergency-jacket

Though I suppose it's no harm to have one for every passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Have you experienced that sort of thing? I haven't - my encounters with the gendarmerie have been infrequent but invariably cordial.

Even in daylight?

Fair enough but did you have the feeling they were trying to catch you out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

I follow all the rules and kit my car out but I have to say, all my years driving in France and I have never once been stopped by the Police, I even had one pull over out of my way before to let me pass, my GPS has speed camera detection on it too, never turn it off, not that it makes a difference. My encounters with them at the beach, parks or sales have always been polite and helpful.

I have never been randomly stopped - did twice get held up by minor accidents and fell into conversation but they couldn't have been nicer, or more relaxed. Not saying Irish drivers get it easy but I think you really have to draw attention to yourself to get any notice.

Stick to the rules though.

August 1
    billie1b wrote: »
    I follow all the rules and kit my car out but I have to say, all my years driving in France and I have never once been stopped by the Police, I even had one pull over out of my way before to let me pass, my GPS has speed camera detection on it too, never turn it off, not that it makes a difference. My encounters with them at the beach, parks or sales have always been polite and helpful.

I think I read somewhere that gps speed camera detection is illegal in France? Open to correction on that though!

redmissb wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that gps speed camera detection is illegal in France? Open to correction on that though!

Yeah it is illegal, im just saying I have never turned it off, they rarely bother Irish drivers IMO, its usually the Brits they go after

Yeah it is illegal, im just saying I have never turned it off, they rarely bother Irish drivers IMO, its usually the Brits they go after

I suspect that is true!

• Advertisement

August 1
    Oh right sorry! It's probably on ours too and I never thought to turn it off. We've been over a good few times and never been stopped thankfully.

Anybody got any cheap quotes for breakdown cover? Roadrescue.ie is the cheapest I've found, €69 I think.

Oh right sorry! It's probably on ours too and I never thought to turn it off. We've been over a good few times and never been stopped thankfully.

Anybody got any cheap quotes for breakdown cover? Roadrescue.ie is the cheapest I've found, €69 I think.

No need for apologies, €69 is a good price for BD cover, mine is generally around €90 but its cause mine is a 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

It's doesn't really have speed camera detection (unless it's a laser equipped one), but rather has common speed camera locations preloaded so I wouldn't rely on it 100%.

Patrickheg wrote: »
    It's doesn't really have speed camera detection (unless it's a laser equipped one), but rather has common speed camera locations preloaded so I wouldn't rely on it 100%.

My GPS has permanent speed camera and mobile speed camera detection on it and has never once failed me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

My GPS has permanent speed camera and mobile speed camera detection on it and has never once failed me

Last post on this as I'm dragging the thread off topic. Unless your sat nav has laser detection(which is illegal in 90% of Europe and is completely different to pre loaded speed check locations on a sat nav) then it is risky to think you will never be caught as if a police officer sets up a speed detection spot in a new location (eg 2miles before the usual location which is marked on your sat nav) then you will not know about it.

So your post is a bit misleading as others may follow your advice

• Advertisement

August 1
    No need for apologies, €69 is a good price for BD cover, mine is generally around €90 but its cause mine is a 2006

Mine is a 2004! I was surprised it was so cheap as I think I used them last year and it was €89 as far as I remember. I checked what was covered and it had onward travel, vehicle repatriation etc. I'll probably buy it from them, unlikely I'll get cheaper.

Patrickheg wrote: »
    Last post on this as I'm dragging the thread off topic. Unless your sat nav has laser detection(which is illegal in 90% of Europe and is completely different to pre loaded speed check locations on a sat nav) then it is risky to think you will never be caught as if a police officer sets up a speed detection spot in a new location (eg 2miles before the usual location which is marked on your sat nav) then you will not know about it.

So your post is a bit misleading as others may follow your advice

Untrue as I never advised anyone not to turn theirs off, I just said 'I never turn mine off', there's a bit of a difference.
    Agreed, off topic, so we'll leave it at that.

Mine is a 2004! I was surprised it was so cheap as I think I used them last year and it was €89 as far as I remember. I checked what was covered and it had onward travel, vehicle repatriation etc. I'll probably buy it from them, unlikely I'll get cheaper.

I get the full cover on it though, you have to find put from them, mine covers costs of towing to the ship and putting it on board and towing to my garage of choice in Ireland, emergency hire car and so on, just read very carefully into it or ask questions if unsure

August 1
    I had a look again and it says in the terms and conditions that they will not bring the car back to Ireland if the cost of doing so is more than the cars market value in Ireland. Going to check out the AA now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

July 4
    Anyone got the Ford Assistance cover? I get it each year when I get the car serviced. They say it is provided by the AA so its full cover. Not sure ab out towing back to the ferry etc, need to check that. Car is in for service and then out on the ferry on 27th.

BTW... anyone got the number for that girl ringing looking for a cabins:D I'd be all over that! Free grub and money back in the pocket. One of the kids can tuck in head to toe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

July 11
    I had a look again and it says in the terms and conditions that they will not bring the car back to Ireland if the cost of doing so is more than the cars market value in Ireland. Going to check out the AA now.

ADAC are the same don't know any that doesn't have this clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well I have been pulled over twice in France, and both times I was doing nuffing! Once was customs guys, so I must have looked shifty, wearing shades, driving on my own, black car and nothing to hide. Second time was in a village in the middle of nowhere, showed the papers (some missing in the hire car), driving licence etc. So carry your rinsurance cert and reg papers and your licence, and your're good to go. All were pleasant and civilised. Travel safely folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

July 25
    Happy holidays to all sailing on the first boat out today!

Don't forget to report back - we'll all be waiting :D

frash wrote: »
    Happy holidays to all sailing on the first boat out today!

Don't forget to report back - we'll all be waiting :D

What a lovely day for a ferry crossing. It is not as hot in France today, but very pleasant. Will be watching out for the first report!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sailin on sat with Celti(Stenna)Link. Best weather for sailing in years..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

July 18
    Shes past the half way point now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    Is it sailing once a week only from Rosslare on Fridays at 9pm?
    Return on Wednesdays at 7pm?

August 1
    It leaves France at midnight and gets into Rosslare 21.00 thursday I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    It leaves France at midnight and gets into Rosslare 21.00 thursday I think?

I cant remember at this stage, thanks

juneg wrote: »
    I cant remember at this stage, thanks

Think you're right from what I saw on the real time marine traffic map last night. She was steaming up towards rosslare when I checked at about 7.30.

August 1
    vienne86 wrote: »
    Think you're right from what I saw on the real time marine traffic map last night. She was steaming up towards rosslare when I checked at about 7.30.

But doesn't it depart France on Wednesday night and arrives Rosslare Thursday night?

But doesn't it depart France on Wednesday night and arrives Rosslare Thursday night?

My mistake - that was the Stena Horizon I saw last night and got mixed up. She is now en route to Rosslare - in the Celtic Sea having passed Penzance a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭tomslick

It has just arrived in Roslaire. It is the same ship as the Celtic/stenna but with one less bar, no cinema or wifi

• Advertisement

tomslick wrote: »
    It has just arrived in Roslaire. It is the same ship as the Celtic/stenna but with one less bar, no cinema or wifi

Rats! No wifi probably means no early reports on boards from those travelling today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    As I recall from my last ferry out of Rosslare, there is a good enough signal for data for a while off the coast of Ireland. Nothing to stop early impressions and photos. ;)

August 1
    They also said on Facebook that passenger can start boarding 2 hours before departure so hopefully someone travelling will be able to give us their first impressions!

As I recall from my last ferry out of Rosslare, there is a good enough signal for data for a while off the coast of Ireland. Nothing to stop early impressions and photos. ;)

Yes, you are right. I usually find I have other things to do for the first couple of hours on the ferry, but let's hope the guys boarding this evening will remember us! Love evening for a crossing, and coming down the west coast of France tomorrow should be brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

They also said on Facebook that passenger can start boarding 2 hours before departure so hopefully someone travelling will be able to give us their first impressions!

Grand. But i dont want to board too early...gonna be on it long enough

I was on the sailing into Roslaire last night. We were boarded at 11 for the midnight sailing. There was about 26 cars, 4 campers, 2 bikes and a lorry on board. The breakfast was "continental" and the lunch was poor looking. I didn't eat in the restaurant as the food didn't suit me. The bar shut at 2am but the barman said that they would stay open as long as they were drinking.

The ship itself is grand but you must bring alot of entertainment as the day is very very long. The sailing times are a real pain but you get what you pay for. As long as the prices remain low I would use this ferry again.

• Advertisement

July 18
    MidlandsM wrote: »
    Grand. But i dont want to board too early...gonna be on it long enough

Ah there will be loads to do . You can explore the boat, that will take 15 mins then.....

Just kidding. Once you throw your bags in the cabins, get on deck to watch the boat sail out of the port, kids love that. Have a quick wander around, and it'll be bed time for the kids. (Bar time for the boardies)
    Following morning, have brekkie, wander around, play a game, wander around, watch a DVD, wander around, repeat several times, day will somewhat fly. (Keep thinking of the savings)

NB: make sure you have ferry bags packed separately and easily accessible in car with all you need on board as you will not be allowed back to your car once you leave the car Deck.

Safe traveling and enjoy the holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    I was on the sailing into Roslaire last night. We were boarded at 11 for the midnight sailing. There was about 26 cars, 4 campers, 2 bikes and a lorry on board. The breakfast was "continental" and the lunch was poor looking. I didn't eat in the restaurant as the food didn't suit me. The bar shut at 2am but the barman said that they would stay open as long as they were drinking.

The ship itself is grand but you must bring alot of entertainment as the day is very very long. The sailing times are a real pain but you get what you pay for. As long as the prices remain low I would use this ferry again.

Whats the breakfast like? Its not part of the fare like it was on norfolkline is it? My wife needs gluten free so generally, eating on a ferry is out as its normally processed crap which they dont know whats in it. EXCEPT Stena. They generally know whats going on and have cooked something especially for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

July 11

Are there 3pin plug sockets?

July 18
    moodrater wrote: »
    Are there 3pin plug sockets?
    They the European style sockets. I checked with them on Facebook.

Qwerty? wrote: »
    They the European style sockets. I checked with them on Facebook.

Yes they are 2pin sockets. The breakfast didn't say anything about gluten or anything else, it was rolls and cereals with tea. No cooked anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement