Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sitka spruce christmas tree?

• 13-12-2013 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭

How do folks,
    Would it work ok or are they bad for shedding? I can pick up a decent specimen gratis from a local farmer, have seen the plantation and picked out a few suitable candidates. they're about the right age.
    Thanks for any tips

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

40701085 wrote: »
    How do folks,
    Would it work ok or are they bad for shedding? I can pick up a decent specimen gratis from a local farmer, have seen the plantation and picked out a few suitable candidates. they're about the right age.
    Thanks for any tips

I have 14 acres of Spruce, Norway and Sikta. Supply all family members and the odd friend with trees every year.
    Not a s full as a proper tree, shed a bit if not kept watered a little spiker to handle but have much nicer smell which the women love.

A free spruce or a €40 tree, no brainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

Yeah they'd cut the hand of ya but the smell is the real Christmas smell. Great news so, I'll saw it this weekend and see how it lasts. They say the Norway spruce is the true original but the Sitka looks nice also.Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

We've had a sitka the last few years. We put it in the porch where there is no heat, stops it drying out, so it doesn't shed needles. Agree with 2600, you'd want gloves.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    We've had a sitka the last few years. We put it in the porch where there is no heat, stops it drying out, so it doesn't shed needles. Agree with 2600, you'd want gloves.

In middle of thinning 5 acres with my saw tell me the gloves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Big decision to be made here today, used the "tree that smells nice " line, last night and herself smelt a rat straight away.

• Advertisement

Big decision to be made here today, used the "tree that smells nice " line, last night and herself smelt a rat straight away.

My sisters and sister's in law prefer them the sikta spruce trees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

sitka as a christmas tree.... if i got it for free i wouldnt take it, they shed, hard to get a decent looking one and of course the smell aint the same and sharp needles..

noble fir all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

40701085 wrote: »
    How do folks,
    Thanks for any tips

All trees shed-trick is to keep them supplied with water either by topping up a Christmas tree stand or by putting the tree in a bucket of moist sand/soil and keeping it wet.
    The only worry about sitka is the sharpness of the needles especially on lower branches where kids might get hurt.
    Most people don't realize that any Christmas tree that is allowed to dry out can potentially become engulfed in flames in under 5 seconds, with temperatures reaching 600 C, the oils vaporizing and the tree exploding.
    Enjoy your sitka

Advertisement