Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.P.C. Analogue.

Options
  • 13-12-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I have U.P.C. Analogue, and for the past month the picture quality is awful, wavy lines, the picture is smaller (black border on each side of picture) and constant noise which distorts the picture. Has anyone else had the same problem ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

navalus wrote: »
    I have U.P.C. Analogue, and for the past month the picture quality is awful, wavy lines, the picture is smaller (black border on each side of picture) and constant noise which distorts the picture. Has anyone else had the same problem ?.

UPC Analogue is no more - Im surprised you are even getting a signal of any sort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

U.P.C . told me they still have the analogue service, I told them about my problem they said they didn't know what caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

UPC Analogue is no more - Im surprised you are even getting a signal of any sort :)

''With UPC you’re ready for the Analogue Switch-off Ireland’s analogue TV switch-off will happen on October 24th 2012. Anyone who still uses an aerial to receive their TV reception won’t receive a signal after the 24th.
    If you are an existing UPC Customer you’re okay

• Your TV service already comes through our cable so the switch-off will not affect you
    • You don't need to change your TV set
    • With UPC you don’t need to do a thing ''
    http://www.upc.ie/upccustomers/Analogue_Switch_Off_/

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

Thanks for that info Cushie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

navalus wrote: »
    U.P.C . told me they still have the analogue service, I told them about my problem they said they didn't know what caused it.
    If the problem hasn't been sorted you should ring 1908 & report the fault again & ask why a service callout wasn't arranged the first time, or post over on the talk to UPC forum http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546 where the reps might be able to arrange this for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

That's odd, they signed up a customer the other day here in my estate in Tramore for the Analogue service.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

There's a difference between analogue (the switch off in 2012) and the cable service (which is what UPC provide). Remember back in the days before digital when everyone just had cable?

I have the UPC basic cable and it has been terrible for the past 18 months. Lots of channels removed and the quality of the ones left isn't great. I just reckon they're not investing in the basic cable service anymore as they are trying to push everyone to digital.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

eiresandra wrote: »
    There's a difference between analogue (the switch off in 2012) and the cable service (which is what UPC provide). Remember back in the days before digital when everyone just had cable?

I have the UPC basic cable and it has been terrible for the past 18 months. Lots of channels removed and the quality of the ones left isn't great. I just reckon they're not investing in the basic cable service anymore as they are trying to push everyone to digital.

Its not coming in via cable, but an aerial on the side of the house? I'd consider that analogue myself, and the cable into the house digital. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its called analogue but it is the digital signal, I watch it every day and its fine, usually its Channel 4 that freezes for a few hours etc. But on the whole perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Its called analogue but it is the digital signal, I watch it every day and its fine, usually its Channel 4 that freezes for a few hours etc. But on the whole perfect.

Just checked it at home. All 12 channels perfect. FWIW the channels are:

RTE1
    RTE2
    TV3
    TG4
    BBC1
    BBC2
    UTV
    C4
    Sky One
    Sky News
    Setanta
    3E

You don't need a box or anything. Just comes in on the normal TV with the normal TV remote.

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »
    Just checked it at home. All 12 channels perfect. FWIW the channels are:

RTE1
    RTE2
    TV3
    TG4
    BBC1
    BBC2
    UTV
    C4
    Sky One
    Sky News
    Setanta
    3E

You don't need a box or anything. Just comes in on the normal TV with the normal TV remote.

I think its your location because you also get above and beyond your UPC BB Speeds. Not everybody gets that good of speeds, a lot get half that.

Sully wrote: »
    I think its your location because you also get above and beyond your UPC BB Speeds. Not everybody gets that good of speeds, a lot get half that.
    :confused:

Most of my family and friends have it. They seem to be OK. They also have all of those "analogue" channels too.

7upfree wrote: »
    :confused:

Most of my family and friends have it. They seem to be OK. They also have all of those "analogue" channels too.

Dunno, just what I saw and heard from a good few houses over the past few months! Would love your BB speeds though, savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

The Analog shut-down refers mainly to analog terrestrial broadcasts. UPC offer what is known as simulcasting (both Digital and Analog) via a private cable infrastructure.

These channels will eventually drop off over time as UPC increase offerings as analog bandwidth will be scooped up for use with more digital service offerings. Those nice HD channels take up bandwidth too.

Analog is not efficient means of transmission and compared to digital you get more value in the band-space on average compared to the same amount of single channels.

Sully wrote: »
    Dunno, just what I saw and heard from a good few houses over the past few months! Would love your BB speeds though, savage!

Yeah. They're always like that - and - all slaggin' aside - that's the general consensus.

Advertisement