Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Odd first name....

• 13-12-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

Help! We've just been watching the BBC lunchtime news, in which there was a short interview with an Irish gentleman named Jalath Murphy.

Now many of us have had, for one reason or another, had to Anglicise our names simply to get called a reasonable approximation of our Irish names - like me, fer'instance - but my brain hit the stops with this one.

Any ideas, please?

TIA

tac

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Jarlath misspelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Zaph wrote: »
    Jarlath misspelled?

That's it. Thank you. Not having ever been to the west of Ireland, or ever heard name before, you can understand my confusion.

BTW, a local realty in nearby Brighton ON has a fine upstanding young Irishman there as a broker. Poor guy has had a whale of trouble with people trying out various permutations of his Irish name, with no amount of success.

He's now officially 'George'.

His long-suffering wife, also with an Irish name [Eithne], gave up years back, in spite of the popularity of her professional namesake, and now gets her name written as 'Enya'.

tac

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

When my brother was born the woman in the bed beside my mother had a baby girl. She wanted to call her Eithne, but she was planning to move to the States the following year and knew the child would spend her whole life having her name mispronounced, so she opted for Ethna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Zaph wrote: »
    When my brother was born the woman in the bed beside my mother had a baby girl. She wanted to call her Eithne, but she was planning to move to the States the following year and knew the child would spend her whole life having her name mispronounced, so she opted for Ethna.

Even in Ireland Eithne doesn't usually get pronounced with the Gaelic 'th'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭deirdremf

And let's not forget poor "Emer".
    An Old Irish name, when it was modernised in Irish, it became Eimear, or sometimes Éimear.
    Somebody forgot that the M would have been aspirated, and so the modern name should have MH in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

deirdremf wrote: »
    And let's not forget poor "Emer".
    An Old Irish name, when it was modernised in Irish, it became Eimear, or sometimes Éimear.
    Somebody forgot that the M would have been aspirated, and so the modern name should have MH in the middle.

My friend Emer lives in Cardiff and just goes by "Emma" for thinks like taxis, booking restaurants, ordering in Starbucks, etc

I also know a couple of girls called Siobhan and Bronagh who recently posted a picture on Facebook of the coffees they received in a Starbucks in America. They were labelled "Chavon" and "Bruna". Which made me laugh.

Advertisement